Wound trebles or at least wound G. Any advantage ?

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
gpavone

Wound trebles or at least wound G. Any advantage ?

Post by gpavone » Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:16 am

I have always used traditional nylon strings with unwound nylon trebles.
I am curious to know if I would get any advantage in terms of tone or playability, if I try one of the sets from Savarez which have a wound G or even all three wound trebles (Savarez 520 P1).Any opinion would be very welcome. Thanks.

wolfgang

Post by wolfgang » Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:52 am

I have used the wound G once or twice but don't use it anymore. I'm not a person qualified to review strings, thats only very personal opinion.

(+) Brilliant, bright sound, less "fat" than the usual nylon G, longer sustain. The opening chords of Barrios' Andante religioso e.g. sounded amazing I remember.

(-) Wears very quickly, even faster than the D
(-) Strange feel if you are already used to the normal nylon G
(-) One more string to squeak
(-) Sets are more expensive

I have a new one lying around from Savarez, don't think I'll use it. Where do you live?

Btw: You might want to post a short introduction in the "Introduce Yourself" section, so that we know a little bit more about your musical interests and background :wink:

Azalais

Post by Azalais » Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:20 am

I am using one now (a Savarez red card) on an 1830's guitar with a 640mm scale, tuned to A=415... It is tuned down to F# and I am trying some beautiful early music... Because of the shorter scale and lower tension, it sounds MUCH more brilliant than an unwound string and I don't think that breakage will be a problem. However, as Wollfang said, it does take some getting used to, and it is absolutely unforgiving of sloppy LH execution!! :oops: I HATE hearing string squeaks... so it is a very good reminder to release the tension in my LH before lifting and moving my fingers!! I do love the sound.

gpavone

Post by gpavone » Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:05 pm

Hello Wolfgang, thank for your reply. I just posted a brief presentation of myself in the "introduce yourself" section, as you suggested.
I live in Troy, Michigan.

Nick Cutroneo

Post by Nick Cutroneo » Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:58 pm

3 wound strings to wear my nails is enough in my opinion. Although the G-string is always a disgusting string on any guitar. It's just so dumpy. Who knows about the wound string though...

MaximilianRG

Post by MaximilianRG » Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:17 am

Have you guys tried the composite G from d'addario? Its got a wierd tan color but its pretty decent compared to a normal G. Lately I have been using the EXP hard tension set and buying the normal tension composite G separately from stringsbymail.com and that works for me.

wolfgang

Post by wolfgang » Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:57 am

MaximilianRG wrote:Have you guys tried the composite G from d'addario? Its got a wierd tan color but its pretty decent compared to a normal G.
Yes, it's a nice string. But actually I have to say, that I don't seem to worry anymore about the G-issue so much as before. THe guitar has such a broad spectrum of sound colour that the G string is just part of it.

I didn't use carbon for a while, because I thought they are harder to play, but I rediscovered them recently and they blew me away on my spruce guitar. I have used nylon only before and now I think I will switch again to Savarez Carbon strings. The carbon strings have an excellent G.

Fortunately I suffer from GAS, so I can play Nylon and Carbon on different guitars :lol:

Best wishes

Wolfgang
Last edited by wolfgang on Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

wolfgang

Post by wolfgang » Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:00 am

gpavone wrote: I live in Troy, Michigan.
Ok, I though about sending you the string, but I don't think it makes much sense to ship from Europe to the US. You could buy the string from the shipping cost already :lol:

gpavone

Post by gpavone » Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:37 pm

MaximilianRG, I just did the same as you: I ordered a set of D'Addario ProArte XP high tension and a separate composite G. But I ordered the
composite G in high tension as well, not in normal tension as you do.
Did I make a mistake ? Will the high tension composite G be too stiff ?

MaximilianRG

Post by MaximilianRG » Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:46 am

Yeah the string feels a bit stiffer than normal nylon and I could feel it was more tension, so I checked website and apparantly the normal tension composite G has the same exact tension as the hard tension nylon G. It is working out for me so far.

sarconi

Post by sarconi » Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:20 pm

well Im not gonna get much time to test out the wound g i bought yesterday :( I got a bit lazy with the clippers while cutting the excess string from the machine heads :( cut the g by mistake. I knew that spare G that came in the packet would come in handy one day :P

Azalais

Post by Azalais » Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:02 pm

:discussion: (a group hug )

Moderato

Post by Moderato » Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:47 am

sarconi wrote:well Im not gonna get much time to test out the wound g i bought yesterday :( I got a bit lazy with the clippers while cutting the excess string from the machine heads :( cut the g by mistake. I knew that spare G that came in the packet would come in handy one day :P
That happed to me for the first time in 15 years, I was cutting the excess from the tuning heads with a nail clipper (I normally use a wire cutter) and I guess the string was in the path of the clipper and I cut the string off. I was mad because I had to order another string, but more then that I just felt stupid. :oops:
03 Ramirez 1a CD/BR
06 Baroque Lute - 13 Course w/Bass Rider

Azalais

Post by Azalais » Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:48 am

Here is an old thread that might help you salvage the string...
viewtopic.php?p=78803&highlight=sheet+bend#78803

GuitarTex

Re: Wound trebles: AWFUL

Post by GuitarTex » Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:17 am

I just tried the Savarez Plastic Wound Trebles. I hated them! So much scratch and squeek. I am just getting able to eliminate it in the bass strings by lifting before moving positions, but with the trebles this would be much harder with guide fingers. I took them off (not the fingers the strings :D ). I'm not even sure what advantage Savarez was hoping for; they do not have a superior tone (as I was expecting).

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”