Wound trebles or at least wound G. Any advantage ?

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
Jedaks

Re: Wound trebles or at least wound G. Any advantage ?

Post by Jedaks » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:13 am

I just wore out my first set of Savarez 520 P1, with wound trebles. They sounded great! Brilliant projection and variety of tones can be coaxed from them.

The increased string squeek is a negative I admit and for recording it sucks. But for live playing, I found that the audience, (my friends and family) don't notice it.

If I could find a set of unwound treble strings that had that kind of life in them I would try them.
"He gave it for his opinion, that whoever could make two ears of corn, or two blades of grass, to grow upon a spot of ground where only one grew before, would deserve better of mankind"... J.Swift

Sean

Post by Sean » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:21 pm

The wound g-string is too steely sounding for me.

mexitaly

Post by mexitaly » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:25 pm

nick, is this your observation or is this a standard complaint? i just bought the 98 gv rubio torres model that was advertised on here and think it sounds wonderful except the G string :evil: . it really is the red headed stepchild of the bunch...it decays much quicker and doesn't produce any harmonic overtones in any way. it does have high tension strings perhaps it shouldn't? anybody find this to be true?

Nick Cutroneo

Post by Nick Cutroneo » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:29 pm

mexitaly wrote:nick, is this your observation or is this a standard complaint?
Both. While I enjoy my guitar and think on the whole it is a well balanced instrument, the 3rd string can easily be played in a non-attractive way. You have to spend time on how to touch and play the 3rd string to get a pleasant sound out of it. More-so then other strings. I think the 3rd string sounds at it's worst down in the lower positions. In higher it can have quite a rich sound, but in lower positions (which is closer to the nut of the instrument) the sound can be "thuddy".
Nick Cutroneo - Classical Guitarist, performer/teacher/suzuki instructor

bacsidoan

Post by bacsidoan » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:16 am

Nick Cutroneo wrote:
mexitaly wrote:nick, is this your observation or is this a standard complaint?
Both. While I enjoy my guitar and think on the whole it is a well balanced instrument, the 3rd string can easily be played in a non-attractive way. You have to spend time on how to touch and play the 3rd string to get a pleasant sound out of it. More-so then other strings. I think the 3rd string sounds at it's worst down in the lower positions. In higher it can have quite a rich sound, but in lower positions (which is closer to the nut of the instrument) the sound can be "thuddy".
I disagree with the generalization that the 3rd string is the weakness of all guitars. I do agree that guitars with great 3rd strings are not common. Any competent luthiers can build guitars with boomy bass and/or clear, cutting treble. I think that a good G-string is one of the main things that differentiate a great guitar from mediocre ones.

mexitaly

Post by mexitaly » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:33 am

ok, is there any luthier that is known for conquering this peculiarity w/out fail? ps...this joint is awesome. revived a 4 year old post an got a response very quickly! :D :bravo:

Pat Patterson

Post by Pat Patterson » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:11 am

I've played Ruck guitars for over 30 years. I've had four. G strings sound great. Most professional guitarists that I know or I have met or attended their master classes like plain old nylon, but I'm sure there must be an exception or two. I'm surprised that there is so much discontent with G strings. The string that I find that is lacking on many guitars, especially in the higher frets, is the E string. It just poops out.

daowens

Post by daowens » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:31 pm

I have tried several brands of String sets with "wound" third strings.
You either love them or hate them, but I have never decided which.

Dave
Guitars
J.S. Cooper 2004 "Leila"

marymezzo

Post by marymezzo » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:55 am

I have a thing about the G string . . . no matter which brand I try, to me, the string sounds "tubby." And I've tried a whole lot of brands.

After I discovered there was such a thing as a wound G, I tried the Savarez plastic-wound G string and didn't like it much. I love the Aranjuez Concert Gold bronze-wound G, however, and won't use anything else. It definitely has a brighter, clearer sound.

Small disadvantage: first, it does seem to be shorter-lived than a standard nylon G, but I'm not super-bothered by that because I change strings frequently.

Oh, one other observation. I have three guitars, ranging from mediocre student-quality (an Aria from 1971) to good (a Pavan TP-30-64) to excellent (custom-made guitar by Zebulon Turrentine). Even the excellent guitar benefits from the wound G in my opinion.

HNLim

Post by HNLim » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:30 am

I find the aluminium wound a good compromise.
1978 Yamaha GC30A - S/BRW
2012 Esteve Adalid - S/BRW
2014 Sen #5 - S/BRW
2016 HNLim - S/BRW
1974 S.Yairi 950 S/BRW -10-string-convert 2015
HN Lim 14-string - S/BRW - Self-made
HN Lim 15-string - S/NEW - WIP
1974 S.Yairi 800 : Retired

ALL ARE FOR SALE

es335

Post by es335 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:27 am

HNLim wrote:I find the aluminium wound a good compromise.
Fully scond this. It's the Savarez Concert 577R string we are talking about!
Flat wound, quite similar to violin strings! No squeaks, almost normal diameter and good duarbility! :wink:

Guitarhancock

Post by Guitarhancock » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:01 am

I am using a silverwound G .024 DAdarrio. It is excellent. SBM had them as singles. DAddario under Specialty singles. Various
diameters to choose from . Highly recommend for third string.

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:28 am

wound g: a bell like g-string sound, but: more squeaks, wears fast and breaks more easily than any other wound string. For some guitars with g-string problem this is the solution, if you don't want to go fluorocarbon.

white plastic wound b and e strings: even more squeaks, a stiffer and and less modulating treble sound, loss of sustain in higher positions ... not much to win here, IMHO.

The only way to avoid the squeaks is flat wound aluminium, but they are a bit stiff, too. Earlier days the Thomastik flat wound g was a hype, but there is not much talk about it these days...

But in the end one probably has to try for oneself to see whether it is an improvement or not.
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

es335

Post by es335 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:28 am

rojarosguitar wrote:... white plastic wound b and e strings: even more squeaks, a stiffer and and less modulating treble sound, loss of sustain in higher positions ... not much to win here, IMHO ...
Don't forget their big size. Their ends feature a yarn winding which is inteted to fix the plastic wrapping and make the ends even thicker. I do remember that it was not possible to thread this end through the string holes of the tie block of at least one of my guitars. :roll:

zupfgeiger

Post by zupfgeiger » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:55 am

marymezzo wrote:I have a thing about the G string . . . no matter which brand I try, to me, the string sounds "tubby." And I've tried a whole lot of brands.

After I discovered there was such a thing as a wound G, I tried the Savarez plastic-wound G string and didn't like it much. I love the Aranjuez Concert Gold bronze-wound G, however, and won't use anything else. It definitely has a brighter, clearer sound.

Small disadvantage: first, it does seem to be shorter-lived than a standard nylon G, but I'm not super-bothered by that because I change strings frequently.

Oh, one other observation. I have three guitars, ranging from mediocre student-quality (an Aria from 1971) to good (a Pavan TP-30-64) to excellent (custom-made guitar by Zebulon Turrentine). Even the excellent guitar benefits from the wound G in my opinion.
I had the same experience with many clumsy G strings - until I found Knobloch carbon G. Wonderful solution in terms of sound and playing feeling. No sharp carbon-like sound at all, but very smooth and nylon-like. It's not a wound G string, but worth trying anyway. Some prominent string experts among delcampers are Knobloch fans as well.
The secret of getting ahead is getting started (Mark Twain)

Andrea Tacchi, Enrique Garcia model, Spruce/BRAZ, 2016
Giovanni Tacchi, Daniel Friederich copy, cedar/EIR, 2017
Alain Raifort, cedar/EIR, 2004

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”