Wound trebles or at least wound G. Any advantage ?

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
mando48

Re: Wound trebles or at least wound G. Any advantage ?

Post by mando48 » Mon May 01, 2017 2:03 pm

I will ONLY use wound 3rds,,,less not tubby and better intonation.
Rick

Jerrycaprio

Post by Jerrycaprio » Mon May 01, 2017 2:05 pm

I like the Savarez carbon G, using nylon for the other trebles.

marymezzo

Post by marymezzo » Tue May 02, 2017 4:23 pm

Thanks to everybody who has commented recently. I think I'll try the wound aluminum, the wound silver, and the Knobloch carbon G.

Why not?

:-)

marymezzo

Post by marymezzo » Sun May 14, 2017 2:50 am

OK, recent thoughts about the G string.

I tried the silverwound G .024 D'Addario and liked it very much indeed. I'd say it and the Aranjuez wound G are quite similar in sound, but I believe the D'Addario is cheaper, so I may switch.

I also ordered an aluminum Savarez Concert 577R and didn't like it at all. In my not-so-humble opinion, it had rather a dead sound. Certainly no improvement on a conventional nylon G.

Ordered the Knobloch carbon G and haven't tried it yet. I'll report when I do.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sun May 14, 2017 5:32 am

I used to use silk wounds. The G and B strings were wound with silk and I can't remember if the 1st string was wound also. That was 30 years ago. Not sure if they still make them. I think they were Savarez. I remember they made my cheap guitar sound a whole lot better. But they wore out fast.

kefroeschner

Post by kefroeschner » Sat May 20, 2017 1:27 am

I have tried Savarez wound G strings -- white plastic, Ag and Al. The Ag (silver) wounds were reasonable but not very long lasting. Also Hannabach, GSL, and a few others. Of all of them the clear winner, in my judgement, was Thomastik-Infeld's Flat wound Chrome Steel. All four lowers. They sound deep and clear, do not squeak, stay in tune and last forever. They have a central fine steel wire which I think must lead to their durability. They are stiff as a result and knots are a bit harder to do, but worth it.
1977 Asturias AST 60, signed by M. Matano
1979 Kazuo Hashimoto C-30
1970's Shinano No. 55
1970's Matsumoku 'Lyle' C-640
1971 CONN C-20
'De Gama' No. 5102
Dean Espana
Washburn C80S
Ibanez AEL 4012S 12 string
Several Dulcimers in work

Rick Yzaguirre

Post by Rick Yzaguirre » Sun May 21, 2017 11:00 am

No wonder everyone tells my g string is flat, I happen to wear boxers.

HNLim

Post by HNLim » Mon May 22, 2017 12:58 am

marymezzo wrote:
Sun May 14, 2017 2:50 am
OK, recent thoughts about the G string.

I tried the silverwound G .024 D'Addario and liked it very much indeed. I'd say it and the Aranjuez wound G are quite similar in sound, but I believe the D'Addario is cheaper, so I may switch.

I also ordered an aluminum Savarez Concert 577R and didn't like it at all. In my not-so-humble opinion, it had rather a dead sound. Certainly no improvement on a conventional nylon G.

Ordered the Knobloch carbon G and haven't tried it yet. I'll report when I do.
I am not sure how long you made the acessment after putting on the strings. You should allow several days for the string to stabilise before make your conclusion. Strings undergo a significant change of sound and tone within the first few days after you mount it and play on it.

jshob56

Post by jshob56 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:00 am

Like es335, I found out the hard way that the set of Savarez 520P's that I had been sitting on for the last 2 years would not fit the holes in the tie block of my Kremona Fiesta. After some work, I got the wound B to go through the tie block but the G was just too thick because of the extra winding. The winding started unraveling and the string was ruined. I cut the B and E off and put on a set of 520R's. The part that hurts the most is that I paid $17.25 at a mom & pop shop but found out later that SBM only charges $11.99. Live and learn. Now I need to get a set of the 520 rectified trebles to go with the left over basses. Guess where I'm gonna get them.....

Jack
Martin 00-28VS, Kremona Orpheus Valley Fiesta FC, Cordoba C3M, Martin DX1

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”