Frequent string breaks

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
rlatkin

Frequent string breaks

Post by rlatkin » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:25 pm

Over time I have noticed that the D-string on my Yamaha G250-S will break before the other strings need to be replaced. :( Popped another one last night while in the case. This can happen regardless of string brand; might be anywhere from 2 weeks to months before it happens, but I usually change strings because of this. The break seems to occur right at the saddle. I'm thinking that the edge is to rough or sharp. The question is, can I use a very fine grit paper to smooth this edge without harming the tuning characteristics, etc.? If not, any other suggestions?

Thanks,
:bye: :merci: Lee

pogmoor

Re: Frequent string breaks

Post by pogmoor » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:13 pm

The saddle is an easily replaceable part, so you can do no harm by carefully smoothing it; this might very well solve your problem :)
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Paul Fischer (1995) and Lester Backshall (2008)
Yamaha SLG 130NW silent classical guitar (2014), Ramirez Guitarra del Tiempo (2017)

rlatkin

Post by rlatkin » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:50 pm

Thanks for the response. The LaBellas I just put on will probably die in about two weeks: when they come off I'll give it a try, and restring with the d'Add EJ45 set I just bought. I'd hate to still have this problem with good strings. (P.S. I was very surprised to find that the d'Addario strings are not very expensive. It just keeps getting better! :lol: )

Thanks,
Lee
:merci:

remmus

Post by remmus » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:41 pm

I'm too cheap to put on a new set of strings when a D pops, unless they are old and ready to be replaced. I keep a bunch of extra D's around. :) You could try sanding a bit just on the part of the saddle that goes underneath the D string and then put a new D on.
"...it is awfully easy to become content with a level below what one is actually capable of." - Carl Peter

JQ.

Post by JQ. » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:50 pm

Many of us have had the same problem with D strings always popping at the saddle. I chalk it up to being the highest tension of the wound strings.

Normally I end up cutting off some of each string because it involves less cranking when putting them on. Some have also said that the less winding you do, the better a string will stay in tune.

But what I've done with Ds is to wind the entire string. Then if it breaks at the saddle, you might just have enough left to re-install it.

Also, with many brands, you can buy bass sets separately. I think the general consensus is that most people go thru 2-3 sets of basses for every set of trebles anyway.

rlatkin

Post by rlatkin » Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:32 am

Thanks, Summer & JQ,
You both seem to be converging on a solution I didn't know was there. Extra bass strings! Since I didn't know I could buy them :shock: , I was forever running out of D's, but I have a drawer full of trebles I will probably never use. Ought to save a little money, too. Stayed too long in the ranks of the eternal beginner, (26 years :oops: ), so now I'm finding out things I should have known for years. The CGF here seems to be a good place to do it, though.

Again, :merci:

remmus

Post by remmus » Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:42 pm

Hi Lee,
This forum is truly a great source of classical guitar information.
If you have a lot of trebles, you could go online to several guitar string suppliers, (stringsbymaildotcom, or stringsandbeyonddotcom to name a couple) and purchase as many single bass strings as you need to make your raided string sets complete again. And, I'd pick up several extra D's and a couple of extra A's. I've never had a bass E just pop on me, but now it will probably happen! :lol:
"...it is awfully easy to become content with a level below what one is actually capable of." - Carl Peter

rlatkin

Post by rlatkin » Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:19 am

Summer,
I certainly am glad I found this forum. It's keeping me fired up about moving ahead with playing my CG. And I will absolutely load up on the strings!
:bye:

at_leo_87

Post by at_leo_87 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:38 am

check this out!
http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Musicia ... reak1.html
if you're going to sand it, take the saddle out and do it away from the guitar so you dont get icky stuff on the face of your guitar.
and be warned, bone saddles smells really bad!

rlatkin

Post by rlatkin » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:26 pm

at_leo,

Thanks for the link... That's an interesting page; gives me some pointers on how to be careful with resulting shape when I sand the saddle. I've looked around on the internet, and haven't found any specs for the G 250S CG I have, so I don't know what the saddle is made of. But your comment about taking it out does give me the idea that I might want to get a new saddle and just replace it anyway. I never really paid any attention to whether it was nicked or not when I restrung, either. Anyway, food for thought plus more options here. I appreciate it. P.S. I really like your Emerson quote: very true, that.
:merci: :bye:

Derry

Post by Derry » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:21 pm

would agree that you have a saddle issue to correct,, can't remember when I last had a string separate and I play four different CGs weekly,,

Derry

I also changed them all over to the 12 hole tie pattern which offers a better bridge angle with no loop pulling against that small tensioned area,,
Last edited by Derry on Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goni

Post by goni » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:27 pm

I haven't had a D string break for many years. It might be due to more frequent string changes (I used to change them when the D broke LOL) but one thing I noticed at one point is that at the tie block in the area between where the D string touches the saddle and where the loop goes under the string, the winding would get stretched and sometimes even cut (maybe contributing to the breakage)
So what I do these days is, as I wind the wound bass strings and their tension increases I press the loop down to release some strain there.

I do this a couple of times until the string is up to pitch.

Might help

G

rlatkin

Post by rlatkin » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:56 pm

I'm not familiar with the 12 hole tie pattern. Maybe someone could tell me what it is? :?: :?:

at_leo_87

Post by at_leo_87 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:29 am

it looks like this. the idea is that it increases the break angle. this, theoretically, improves volume/tone. plus, it looks much neater. :D
12hole~bridge.jpg
Qo40589.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

remmus

Post by remmus » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:07 pm

Wow! That looks very clean and neat! I'll try it at my next string change. Thank-you so much for the photos! :D

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”