Frequent string breaks

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
rlatkin

Re: Frequent string breaks

Post by rlatkin » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:13 pm

That tie pattern does look very good, and very secure -- no slipping. Unfortunately, my cheap student guitar doesn't have 12 holes in the bridge. Wait... maybe I need to just buy a new guitar. What a shame! :lol: :lol:

Don't tell anybody I could just replace the bridge, OK? :mrgreen:

at_leo_87

Post by at_leo_87 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:35 pm

rlatkin wrote:That tie pattern does look very good, and very secure -- no slipping. Unfortunately, my cheap student guitar doesn't have 12 holes in the bridge. Wait... maybe I need to just buy a new guitar. What a shame! :lol: :lol:

Don't tell anybody I could just replace the bridge, OK? :mrgreen:
i wont tell anyone if you can replace mine too :wink:

at_leo_87

Post by at_leo_87 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:39 pm

Summer wrote:Wow! That looks very clean and neat! I'll try it at my next string change. Thank-you so much for the photos! :D
summer, i love your chicken pictures! a friend of mine has a few chickens in his backyard. they're actually cute, fun little pets! bonus, more omelettes than your stomach can take! for free!

Stephanie Burnham

Post by Stephanie Burnham » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:38 am

I have a nylon string Cordoba. I usually keep it inside the gig bag so that it's not exposed to the temperatures in my apartment.
I'm having frequent string breaks and it's usually the bass strings. Either the E, A, or D will break. I'm not sure if it's a humidity issue or if it's the saddle on my guitar. I would like to post a picture of my saddle so an expert could tell me if that's the real reason my bass strings are frequently breaking.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:08 pm

If the break angle is excessive, i.e. the saddle is too tall, the bass strings can break. Oh, and make sure you aren't tying the strings with the floppy end as they will break.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:55 am

Stephanie Burnham wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:38 am
I have a nylon string Cordoba. I usually keep it inside the gig bag so that it's not exposed to the temperatures in my apartment.
I'm having frequent string breaks and it's usually the bass strings. Either the E, A, or D will break. I'm not sure if it's a humidity issue or if it's the saddle on my guitar. I would like to post a picture of my saddle so an expert could tell me if that's the real reason my bass strings are frequently breaking.
If you post a picture, do it from the side so we can get an idea of the break angle. Also, is the saddle surface smooth? Hopefully there is help.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”