Aquila Ambra?

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
relayer66

Aquila Ambra?

Postby relayer66 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:17 am

So has anyone tried the Aquila Ambra set? A search turned up nothing. Can't find much about them online either besides the manufacturer's blurb. I assume they are basically the regular standard tension Nylgut basses, with rectified Nylgut superior tension trebles?
I have a couple of sets of Alchemia on the way, but I am curious about the Ambra.

Azalais

Re: Aquila Ambra?

Postby Azalais » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:26 am

Aquila makes a set called Gut & Silk to approach the type of strings that Tárrega and Llobet used... (tuned to a maximum of A=430hz) The Ambra set is supposed to replicate the same sound and feel but with synthetic materials. (Nylgut trebles + silver plated copper on nylgut core for the basses?) They seem to be less expensive than the Gut & Silk too. I love the Gut & Silk sets but they last for ages... so I never got around to trying the Ambras... (I've also used the Alchemia and Alabastro sets... there are only minor differences in the string diameters and tensions... )

I haven't been playing my guitars much in the last year or two (I'm playing mostly vihuela now, without nails) but the Aquila strings do stay in tune and are not too rude a shock to play after playing the vihuela... (which have REALLY light tension strings)

If you try them, I'd love to hear what you think of them.

relayer66

Postby relayer66 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:39 am

Thanks for the reply...
Now that I think about it I really don't want to tune down to 430Hz or lower, during this stage of my training. Maybe later...
It's interesting that you say the Gut and Silk last a long time, I thought gut was notorious for not lasting very long.
I hate growing my nails so I am hoping that these strings work out well for me.
Did you find that the Alchemia compared well to the Gut and Silk, soundwise? Also, did the basses on the Alchemia sound noticibly better (as in twice the $) than the Alabastro?

Azalais

Postby Azalais » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:03 am

I was experimenting with the Aquila sets at about the time I made the commitment to tune down to A=415 and play exclusively without nails... I was also beginning my journey into vihuelas and baroque guitar (and all gut) at ridiculously low tensions. My strings these days really do last for ages... the tensions are low, they don't fray if you don't have nails, and I usually end up changing them out of boredom or curiosity rather than need.

Gut trebles are relatively more fragile (especially for the very thin diameters on a long scale), and do need changing more frequently than nylgut or carbon trebles, but at low tension, they FAR out last "normal" CG strings... and the basses last for ages. (easily twice or three times as long as Savarez 540R's which used to last me 6-8 weeks or longer when I played 665mm CG at A=440 with nails) Nails and playing tension really determine their longevity.

Your mileage will obviously vary... :wink:

kehern

Postby kehern » Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:13 am

I had a set of Ambra strings on last summer. They were...interesting to say the least. If you have no major performances coming up, and are just playing for yourself for a bit, give them a look. They are available at the popular "Strings by mail" website. The tone quality was very unique, namely they were less bright, but had good sustain. I did like them then, but now I prefer Galli Titanio strings. Give them a try, people usually at least enjoy them on for a bit.

relayer66

Postby relayer66 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:59 pm

I put the Alchemias on last night. Wow.
this is the first set of strings I've tried that sound completely different than any others. They are capable of sounding dark and plunky, but when you dig in a little, they have a bright bite that sounds almost like a metal string.
By the way, if anyone is interested in Aquila strings, Elderly has much better prices than Strings by Mail, and they only took two days to get here.
I'll try the Ambra sometime in the future.

Olarte

Postby Olarte » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:02 pm

Aquila strings are my absolute favorite strings for both my CG and my Ukulele.

They are wonderful to play with, feel great on the fingers, sounds nice, stay in tune, and seem to last forever!

And not too expensive at that...

charlesduffy

Postby charlesduffy » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:19 am

I put a set on my Westwood esteva/ Esteve 3z. I'm very pleased with the sweet, clear sound of the trebles. The basses are subtle without being dull. And something I don't often hear talked about.... I like the feel or touch of the strings. Without sounding overly enthusiastic, I feel like I actually play a bit better with the Aquila strings. Might be my imagination, but to my ear and my touch they are very nice and definitely worth trying. And, as has already be said, they are relatively inexpensive. What's not to like? :bye:

MessyTendon
Amateur luthier

Postby MessyTendon » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:43 am

I like em :)

All of the romantic or nylgut type of strings really do sound sweet.

RobMacKillop

Postby RobMacKillop » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:04 am

relayer66, you should consider playing without nails if, as you say, you really hate growing them. To help, please check out my website, which also has a page devoted to strings: https://rmclassicalguitar.com

Icarus11

Postby Icarus11 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:30 am

The Ambra serie is very interesting. But you have to find the good model for your instrument. Ambra 800 for romantic guitar, Ambra 900 for Torres Guitar to 1950 and Ambra 2000 for modern guitar. So i recommand Ambra 2000 which are more similar to Alabastro Normal tension.

Icarus11

Postby Icarus11 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:14 pm

The problem with Aquila is the tension of the strings, too hard for me. I am expecting Ambra 2000 LT or Alabastro VLT with the same tension as the Ambra 800 ...

-Z-

Postby -Z- » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:04 pm

Quick question
Can Ambra 2000 be properly tuned to A=440hz?

I've just got a set of Ambra 2000, which colour are the trebles supposed to be? I was told they had some sort of yellowish colour, but mine is white.

MessyTendon
Amateur luthier

Postby MessyTendon » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:22 am

The white strings are the newer nylgut, most likely drawn to the size of the old yellow Ambra strings. Yes the 2000 can be tuned standard. Let us know how you like them.

-Z-

Postby -Z- » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:33 am

MessyTendon wrote:Let us know how you like them.

I'll let you know as soon as it gets back from the luthier, he is going to change the machine heads and set the guitar for the new tension ( previously I used high tension ) and some minor adjustments.
Thanks.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”