Aquila Ambra?

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
-Z-

Re: Aquila Ambra?

Postby -Z- » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:51 pm

Guys, it has just arrived, well, the attack seems very responsive compared to my preview strings, feels nice to the hand and has indeed unique tonal characteristics that I particularly enjoy. Now my problem with the g strings is gone, tone has improved to my taste, my first impression would be extremely positive IF it wasn't for some strange intonation in some strings after the 12 fret ( which I believe can be adjusted right?) and the major issue, the 4th and 5th strings have a WILD strange vibration going on, it feels like playing the electric guitar with a phaser effect on... I minimized it by applying some insulating tape I had laying around to the bridge over those particular 2 strings, it kills the strings a bit, but solves the "cicada sound" it was making...
Will these problems fade away as the strings sits better?

Brandon Walker

Postby Brandon Walker » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:35 pm

I have tried all of the Ambra sets - I have never had to make any adjustments to the guitar. I have never had any intonation issues with them, but others have mentioned this. Sometimes removing a string and reversing it solves intonation issues.

I've never had any issues with strange buzzing; the bass strings tend to have a deeper, more pronounced fundamental with less ring and sustain, but are still a clear sound or have been every time I've used them.

Brandon

-Z-

Postby -Z- » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:33 pm

Brandon Walker wrote:I have tried all of the Ambra sets - I have never had to make any adjustments to the guitar. I have never had any intonation issues with them, but others have mentioned this. Sometimes removing a string and reversing it solves intonation issues.

I've never had any issues with strange buzzing; the bass strings tend to have a deeper, more pronounced fundamental with less ring and sustain, but are still a clear sound or have been every time I've used them.

Brandon

I'll try to reverse them later and report back for future people with similar problem, probably tomorrow...
Just out of curiosity, which one is your favourite Ambra set? Are you still using them? Have you tried other nylgut sets?

Brandon Walker

Postby Brandon Walker » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:13 pm

I'll try to reverse them later and report back for future people with similar problem, probably tomorrow...
Just out of curiosity, which one is your favourite Ambra set? Are you still using them? Have you tried other nylgut sets?

I tried every version of Nylgut I could find - Alabastro, Ambra, and Seta. I still like using the basses (I love those deep, whispering fundamentals), but I started to find the Nylgut trebles a bit unsubtle in their tone. I tried some real gut, and going back didn't feel as comfortable either - the smooth surface of the Nylgut felt very synthetic and a touch cold by comparison.

So recently I ended up on Aquila's Early Music Strings section - there are a number of other types of Nylgut there. From the Lute & Baroque Guitar menu, I found NNG (New Nylgut), a type which comes in 120cm lengths at various gauges, and has a slightly rough to the touch surface, much like rectified nylon. This, I find, somehow feels more personal and sounds sweeter and more gently expressive; I find the Ambra harsh by comparison. An NNG 1st string doesn't sound out of place alongside a real gut 2nd & 3rd.

There is a minimum 40€ order and a fair bit of waste material, but I see it as supporting my principal passion, so: worth it. 8)

-Z-

Postby -Z- » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:53 pm

Brandon Walker wrote:
I tried every version of Nylgut I could find - Alabastro, Ambra, and Seta. I still like using the basses (I love those deep, whispering fundamentals)

I'm now addicted to my sixth string haha, I tunned down to 430hz and the other two bases strings that present that buzz are sounding slightly better, but still can't be hit with a decent attack without the "phaser" kicking in...

Also, I noticed that the Ambra 2000 has higher action than my prior high tension strings... If it isn't asking much from you, would you share your experience regarding how the tension differs between 800, 900, 2000? I haven't find precise information. Also Do All the Ambras sound alike, sound and projection? how did the Alabastro performed compared to Ambra?

Brandon Walker

Postby Brandon Walker » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:44 am

Also, I noticed that the Ambra 2000 has higher action than my prior high tension strings... If it isn't asking much from you, would you share your experience regarding how the tension differs between 800, 900, 2000? I haven't find precise information. Also Do All the Ambras sound alike, sound and projection? how did the Alabastro performed compared to Ambra?

If I'm honest, I saw little difference in any of the trebles until the formula for the Ambra 2000 was changed a few months ago - they are now translucent, and are quite a different experience for me. They felt a bit harder, tension wise. I didn't keep them on for long enough to give a full evaluation, since I tried them whilst waiting for another set I'd yet to try. My curiosity gets the better of me - often.

As far as I understand it, the Ambra 2000 are designed to be a 440Hz compatible version of the 900, although I have never had trouble tuning the 800 or 900 to 440. I still don't understand the difference between the 800 & 900 - I have a set of the 800 basses (paired with NNG trebles) waiting at the luthier's to go on my Asturias AST80 once the frets have been dressed. I will happily report my findings...

-Z-

Postby -Z- » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:07 pm

Brandon Walker wrote:
If I'm honest, I saw little difference in any of the trebles until the formula for the Ambra 2000 was changed a few months ago - they are now translucent, and are quite a different experience for me. They felt a bit harder, tension wise. I didn't keep them on for long enough to give a full evaluation, since I tried them whilst waiting for another set I'd yet to try. My curiosity gets the better of me - often.

As far as I understand it, the Ambra 2000 are designed to be a 440Hz compatible version of the 900, although I have never had trouble tuning the 800 or 900 to 440. I still don't understand the difference between the 800 & 900 - I have a set of the 800 basses (paired with NNG trebles) waiting at the luthier's to go on my Asturias AST80 once the frets have been dressed. I will happily report my findings...

I'll happily wait.

As for the intonation problem I created another topic so it wouldn't mix everything here. I made really minor adjustments and the guitar was finally playable.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=111410&p=1185427#p1185427

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”