Strings for Ramirez

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
scottfree

Strings for Ramirez

Post by scottfree » Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:58 pm

Hello,
I have a 1968 Ramirez, Brazilian/ Cedar MT. When I bought it from the original owner, who is a friend of mine, he told me the strings were about 25 or 30 years old. They were Augustine Blues. Even with those old strings the guitar had a special quality to the sound. The trebles were so beautiful and the E string was "magical" as another player said. When I changed the strings it lost that quality. It's still a great sounding guitar and the best Ramirez I've played, but it doesn't have that "magical" thing anymore. I've tried D'Addario and Augustines. Have any of you ever experimented with strings for this vintage Ramirez and what have you come up with? I know each guitar is an individual and string preferences are very personal, but I would be curious to know what other's have found. Thank you!
Scott

Azalais

Re: Strings for Ramirez

Post by Azalais » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:12 pm

Savarez 540R sets sound very good on a Ramirez (and last a long time). (Since I started playing without nails, I have also tried several of the Aquila nylgut sets and also their Gut & Silk sets, which I also like)

scottfree

Post by scottfree » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:44 am

Thank you for the suggestion. I'll give them a try.
Scott

Consiliere

Post by Consiliere » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:43 pm

I still haven't found anything better than Augustine Red Traditional for my Ramirez 1a.

Matthieu JACQUOT

Post by Matthieu JACQUOT » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:31 am

Personnally I also use the Savarez 540R strings on my Ramirez, very good except the third string a bit too fluffy so I add a carbon string but I will try the Augustine strings, it's a good idea. By the way, did segovia used them on his Ramirez or was it just for the ad? If somebody knows...
Matthieu

scottfree

Post by scottfree » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:25 am

Thanks for the replies, I'm still experimenting.
Scott

Consiliere

Post by Consiliere » Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:26 pm

...did segovia used them on his Ramirez or was it just for the ad?
I've read that he has never used anything else on his Ramirez and somehow I believe it is true.

Danny Dishon

Post by Danny Dishon » Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:47 pm

On my 63 Ramirez I use Savarez 540-J, Alliance HT Classic. I also use Savarez 500-AJ, Corum Alliance.

dcarlso3

Post by dcarlso3 » Wed May 20, 2009 9:04 pm

Matthieu JACQUOT wrote:Personnally I also use the Savarez 540R strings on my Ramirez, very good except the third string a bit too fluffy so I add a carbon string...
Matthieu
Isn't the 540R already carbon trebles? I think so, it is the Alliance trebles

Dave the Great

Post by Dave the Great » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:50 am

Matthieu JACQUOT wrote:1982 Ramirez 1A
Hi!

I just noticed in your signature that you have a 1982 Ramirez 1A. Do you know a lot about the 1982 versions of the 1A? Is it a good model year for the 1a? Are there any quirks from that time? How do you like yours?

Thanks for the info! :merci:

Dave the Great

Post by Dave the Great » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:23 am

Dave the Great wrote:
Matthieu JACQUOT wrote:1982 Ramirez 1A
Hi!

I just noticed in your signature that you have a 1982 Ramirez 1A. Do you know a lot about the 1982 versions of the 1A? Is it a good model year for the 1a? Are there any quirks from that time? How do you like yours?

Thanks for the info! :merci:
Sorry, I should have sent this as a private message, but it ended up being a scam anyway. Too bad.

Sean

Post by Sean » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:01 am

I love Luthier 30s, La Bella 2001s, and the D'add T2 titanium strings.

I don't like Savarez due to intonation troubles I've had.

Augustines are good for a practice guitar.

ghs and d'add composites are workhorse strings.

Hannabach and I parted ways after many years when I woke up one day to find the price of a set of strings was more than the mortgage payment.

Matthieu JACQUOT

Post by Matthieu JACQUOT » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:30 am

Hi Dave the Great,
I must confess I don't know a lot about guitars... I found this one I played it and found it really wonderful, maybe a bit difficult to play, specially in the upper neck (I don't know how to say that in english, "frets after the twelveth...") but the sound is really unbelievable, the timbre range, the dynamics... you can really do what you want.
But sorry, I'm not able to tell you if it's a good year for these guitars etc... To answer your last question, I think that I won't change mine for a very long time : I'm very satisfied. Very beautiful instrument

cadiz

Post by cadiz » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:48 am

Personally, I have Ramirez 1A of 1978, but whom I play very little in this moment. I also prefer Savarez Alliance 540R classic Red. I tested other marks, and other sets (Savarez 540J classic Blue, hard tension), but I returned to 540R.

On the other hand, on other guitars with spruce table, I prefer the blue set, 540J. :bye:

Matthieu JACQUOT

Post by Matthieu JACQUOT » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:20 pm

@dcarlso3
Sorry to reply so late I didn't see your post too...
Isn't the 540R already carbon trebles? I think so, it is the Alliance trebles
You're absolutely right I just forgot in my previous post the "Hannabach" before "carbon string" :D

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”