Strings for Ramirez

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
cn90

Re: Strings for Ramirez

Post by cn90 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:58 am

I have a 1981 Ramirez 1A and I use either Hannabach 815-MT or D'Addario EJ45 and am happy with both.

However, the pricing has gone up (US dollars going down) for Hannabach ($14/set) so I use D'Addario ($6/set) now.

serge5

Post by serge5 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:05 am

.. just have tried 540R. Too thing and have a lot of "metalish" overtones. Augustine Red sound well with good middle range.
Sure, this is just a very personal opinion..

Paul

Post by Paul » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:35 am

serge5 wrote:.. just have tried 540R. Too thing and have a lot of "metalish" overtones. Augustine Red sound well with good middle range.
Sure, this is just a very personal opinion..
Hi Serge,

Welcome to Delcamp!

Please consider taking the time to introduce yourself at the Introduce Yourself section and then we can let you know how to get the most out of the forum.

You can also have a look at this page. It has a general introduction to the Delcamp forum.

Regards,

Paul

Matthieu JACQUOT

Post by Matthieu JACQUOT » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:56 am

Finally I'm really happy with the 815x (low tension) Hannabach strings except for the G for which I use normal tension Savarez (543 R)
Here's a sample of the sound I get with these strings :
http://shadylane.fr/files/gymnopedie_1.mp3

JohnEdwin

Post by JohnEdwin » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:09 am

I found this old thread about string preferences for Ramirez 1a. I wonder if there are any current thoughts on this topic. I've tried the "Jose Ramirez Strings Medium Tension" but they did not sound better to me than D'Addario EJ45. I am a student and still learning. Like wine-tasting, it has its own vocabulary that I am yet to learn it. Thank you.
John Edwin Snyder, Denton, TX USA (Student)

1966 Mercado ex. Earl Klugh
1971 Ramirez 1a (#4567 JG)
2012 WoodRing
2016 Cervantes, Hauser
2017 Hanika 58CC

Elitista2

Post by Elitista2 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:45 am

I use normally Augustine classic blue on my Ramirez elite.
The older they get , the better they are.
When theese strings are new they are a little bit noisy for the rough copper silver plated bass strings.
I also like Hannabach silver special black label MT and Daddario nylon core or composites ( but with normal nylon g string) medium tension.
2012 Ramirez Elite

oc chuck

Post by oc chuck » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:45 pm

I've recommended these before,
I think they bring out the best of a
cedar Ramirez style guitar for a very good price.
Aquila Perla Normal Tension.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:31 am

JohnEdwin wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:09 am
I found this old thread about string preferences for Ramirez 1a. I wonder if there are any current thoughts on this topic. I've tried the "Jose Ramirez Strings Medium Tension" but they did not sound better to me than D'Addario EJ45. I am a student and still learning. Like wine-tasting, it has its own vocabulary that I am yet to learn it. Thank you.
Try Augustine Classic Red, or Dogal Diamanté trebles and Savarez Cantiga basses, all in medium tension. With the extra scale length, they may feel more like hard tension on a 650. These have worked well for me on my Ramirez and on a friend's 1A.

JohnEdwin

Post by JohnEdwin » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:09 pm

After running through a series of mail-order strings, I have found that Savarez Alliance Cantiga 510AR are the best in my hands and to my ear so far. As they say, "Individual results may vary." The search is never over, but most of the quest is continually improving my own technique. Thank you.
John Edwin Snyder, Denton, TX USA (Student)

1966 Mercado ex. Earl Klugh
1971 Ramirez 1a (#4567 JG)
2012 WoodRing
2016 Cervantes, Hauser
2017 Hanika 58CC

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”