Hauser strings

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
bacsidoan

Hauser strings

Post by bacsidoan » Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:10 pm

Does anyone here have some experience with Hauser strings offered at Stafford and TRIL0GY? Are they worth the price? At £15.00p or $25.00, they're certainly not cheap.

Sean

Re: Hauser strings

Post by Sean » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:41 am

And they're certainly not as wel known as other brands and perhaps the price is one reason for such. Have you played an instrument with these strings on it?

bacsidoan

Post by bacsidoan » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:15 pm

No Sean. I just inherited a 1990 Hauser III Alaskan Cedar top/maple back. It has a peculiar but pleasant, sweet humming tone. I just wonder if the strings made by the Hauser people could bring out the best of the guitar. I guess that based on the number of responses in this forum, there's only one way to find out :)

oski79

Post by oski79 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:15 pm

bacsidoan wrote:No Sean. I just inherited a 1990 Hauser III Alaskan Cedar top/maple back.
Lucky you!

:D
“People may say I can’t sing, but no one can ever say I didn’t sing.” --Florence Foster Jenkins

Sean

Post by Sean » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:43 pm

Inherited? You lucky {bleep bleep} no good {bleep bleep} dirty so-and-so! Let me tell you {bleep bleep}

Can you tell I'm a bit jealous? :mrgreen:

marc

Post by marc » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:55 pm

I have tried Hauser med. and low tension both , and I like them very much for their sound , feel , and balance .. really like them !

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:52 am

Hi marc, Welcome to the forum. I hope you find it a friendly place :) There are lots of resources here, so have a look around and feel free to join any of the discussions.

Please have a look at this welcome page to find out what you need to know about using the forum.

Please also consider introducing yourself here.
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Paul Fischer (1995) and Lester Backshall (2008)
Yamaha SLG 130NW silent classical guitar (2014), Ramirez Guitarra del Tiempo (2017)

marc

Post by marc » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:35 am

Thanks , I have often enjoyed reading the posts .

John O

Post by John O » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:09 am

Sometimes an inheritance comes at the cost of a loved one...

flintsghost

Post by flintsghost » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:16 pm

One of the things that everyone needs to remember is that brand name strings like Hauser, Ramirez, etc are NOT made BY those companies. They are made for them. It simply requires too much of a capital outlay to go into the string manufacture business for small guitar making shops to make their own proprietary strings. These kinds of strings can be made to suit the small guitar making shops or spec'd for them. That is one reason the cost is so high. First a maker produces a set of strings that they would sell for X amount of money. Then they have to print up special packaging which costs Y amount of money. Then the string is sold as a new brand and the small shop has to get their cut which is Z amount of money. So the final cost of the strings is XYZ, whereas if you bought the string made by the maker at X in the first place you would save Y and Z off the cost. But for those who thing that he brand name is important, go ahead and spend the money. But each time you pluck a string, the sound comes from the string vibrating the guitar, not from the brand name.

marc

Post by marc » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:10 am

Regarding Hauser strings ; my experience is that excellent classical guitar strings are not readily available at a bargain price .
I have played some inexpensive good electric strings , but not nylon strings . By excellent I mean ones with good intonation
and pleasing tone , the latter of which is somewhat personal of course .

Derek Gripper

Post by Derek Gripper » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:54 pm

You've probably sorted this out by now, but just to say i have used Hauser strings for many years now. They are not, of course, made by Hauser, but by another well-known German string company to Hauser's specs. You can buy them direct from Hauser himself and they are not expensive at all compared to other strings...same as far as i can remember...great string and I enjoy them more than the ones by the company that makes them, for my guitar, which is a Hauser III. You can contact Hauser via his website.
Derek

KeMe

Post by KeMe » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:31 pm

Hello Derek,
Welcome to the Delcamp forum. I would like to invite you to introduce yourself to the other members here.

Kay :sorride:
Music touches the heart, but playing classical guitar can lift your heart and enrich your life.

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:45 pm

I see that this is an older post, but being a member of the SAS (string acquisition syndrone) group I discovered Hauser strings when I acquired my Hauser III guitar. I absolutely love their strings, so much so that I donated a drawer full of strings to a Virginia guitar program and bought some sets of high tension and medium tension directly from Kathrin Hauser. I'm in a bit of a quandary in that I love both tensions. The high tension strings are very clear and pure toned, not hard on the fingers and the medium tension strings are a bit more sweet toned, but not as loud. I was told by a Hauser II owner that using high tension strings would help open up the guitar. Honestly, when I install a set of high tension Hausers I love them, but then when I swap those out for medium tension I love those too.
Would you Hauser III owners please weigh in on this. I think this is a case of win, win, but I would appreciate your opinions.
Whoever makes the strings for Hauser is doing a great job.
Today it's high tension!!
Cheers!
Jack
Hauser III 2014!

souldier

Post by souldier » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:58 pm

Jack, I'm not a hauser owner, but if you love both string sets I think that is a good thing. No need to try to like one over the other, but rather just choose the one that you are in the mood for or the one that suits your current repertoire. The variation in feel and sound will keep you falling in love with your Hauser over and over.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”