Hauser strings

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
Jack Douglas

Re: Hauser strings

Post by Jack Douglas » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:35 pm

souldier wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:58 pm
Jack, I'm not a hauser owner, but if you love both string sets I think that is a good thing. No need to try to like one over the other, but rather just choose the one that you are in the mood for or the one that suits your current repertoire. The variation in feel and sound will keep you falling in love with your Hauser over and over.
Thank you. That's a very good suggestion.
Hauser III 2014!

bacsidoan

Post by bacsidoan » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:09 am

Jack Douglas wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:45 pm
I see that this is an older post, but being a member of the SAS (string acquisition syndrone) group I discovered Hauser strings when I acquired my Hauser III guitar. I absolutely love their strings, so much so that I donated a drawer full of strings to a Virginia guitar program and bought some sets of high tension and medium tension directly from Kathrin Hauser. I'm in a bit of a quandary in that I love both tensions. The high tension strings are very clear and pure toned, not hard on the fingers and the medium tension strings are a bit more sweet toned, but not as loud. I was told by a Hauser II owner that using high tension strings would help open up the guitar. Honestly, when I install a set of high tension Hausers I love them, but then when I swap those out for medium tension I love those too.
Would you Hauser III owners please weigh in on this. I think this is a case of win, win, but I would appreciate your opinions.
Whoever makes the strings for Hauser is doing a great job.
Today it's high tension!!
Cheers!
Jack
What is the cost of a set and the shipping cost from the Hausers?

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:28 am

Hi Bacsidoan,

The strings are 13.87€ per set and 19.75€ shipping. I order a minimum of 8 or 12 sets to help balance the shipping fee. I've sent small parcels to Belgium and Italy and based on those experiences the 19.75€ fee is very reasonable. You'll need to pay them using a bank SWIFT which can be done with PayPal for a modest fee.
The Hauser's are very good to work with.
Best,
Jack
Hauser III 2014!

bacsidoan

Post by bacsidoan » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:46 pm

Jack Douglas wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:28 am
Hi Bacsidoan,

The strings are 13.87€ per set and 19.75€ shipping. I order a minimum of 8 or 12 sets to help balance the shipping fee. I've sent small parcels to Belgium and Italy and based on those experiences the 19.75€ fee is very reasonable. You'll need to pay them using a bank SWIFT which can be done with PayPal for a modest fee.
Best,
Jack
Thank you Jack. I tried the Hauser strings 8 years ago, and was not impressed. I'm certain now that it was due to my ignorance rather than the strings. I'll try them again on my Hauser III.

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:34 pm

bacsidoan wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:46 pm
Jack Douglas wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:28 am
Hi Bacsidoan,

Best,
Jack
Thank you Jack. I tried the Hauser strings 8 years ago, and was not impressed. I'm certain now that it was due to my ignorance rather than the strings. I'll try them again on my Hauser III.
My only suggestion is to give the strings about a week to settle in. To my ear the medium tension strings really sound their best after a week or so of play and the High tension strings settle in a couple of days faster. I've used other high quality strings (Knobloch, Pyramid, and Hannabach) and remember that their settling in period was a bit faster. Hauser strings are worth the wait. Once they hold tune they seem to just get better and last quite a long time. I reluctantly changed my last set of Hausers at 3 months.
Hauser III 2014!

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:23 am

After trying and liking both the medium high and high tension Hauser strings I've ended up liking a mixed tension set. High tension trebles sounded very clear, but had a very short sustain. The high tension basses had much more richness than the medium high tension. I was meeting with Douglas Ching, Luthier and he noted that the top has more haselficte on the bass side. Doug said high tension basses would drive that side better, but would tend to freeze up the treble side. I had a pack each of both tension strings so we swapped out the e and b strings for medium high tension. The sustain improved immediately on the e string. It's now been about a week since making the string tension change and I'm really liking this new combination.
Hauser III 2014!

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”