The Best Warm Treble Strings?

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
jstroud

The Best Warm Treble Strings?

Post by jstroud » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:49 pm

Does anyone have an opinion on the trebles that are warm, sweet but still offer sustain and clarity?

GuitarVlog

Re: The Best Warm Treble Strings?

Post by GuitarVlog » Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:59 am

Strings by Mail seems to recommend six complete sets of warm strings in their upcoming experimentation pack. You could probably purchase the trebles separately and try them for yourself.

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=52498

Cary W

Post by Cary W » Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:04 am

I recommend the Savarez 520R for a warm, traditional sound. They work great on my cedar top.
2008 Yamaha GC31C Indian/cedar D'Addario EJ46
1987 Yamaha GC-3 Indian/cedar D'Addario EJ45

wbajzek

Post by wbajzek » Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:59 am

Cary W wrote:I recommend the Savarez 520R for a warm, traditional sound. They work great on my cedar top.
I used to like those years ago; but more recently I tried them on my newer guitar (which usually sounds quite warm anyway) and they sounded really harsh and plasticky... They were anything but warm. I forget... Do they mellow out and warm up after a while? I really hated them and changed back to D'addario two days later last time, but I still have a few sets of 520J trebles laying around.

Sean

Post by Sean » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:26 am

D'addario rectified trebles are rich and warm - I love them. However, the tactile feel of the strings takes a bit of getting used to.

jstroud

Post by jstroud » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:14 pm

Sean, what are you doing up at 4am? practicing? Thanks I just ordered some and will try soon. right now trying hannabach 900's and will report back

sax512

Post by sax512 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:13 pm

More than you think depends on your touch too. Nail lenght, shape and so on. Every guitar then responds in a different way to different sets of strings. In general if you want to have a warm sound I would avoid carbon, but you really never know until you try. D'Addario hard tension work for my guitar...

John O

Post by John O » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:29 pm

I would say that the new "experimental" Oasis nylons would fit the bill--they seemed quite warm yet clear. I have no idea when/if they will be officially released.

oski79

Post by oski79 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:34 pm

jstroud wrote:Sean, what are you doing up at 4am? practicing? Thanks I just ordered some and will try soon. right now trying hannabach 900's and will report back
You think he got to 6200+ posts, by sleeping??? :lol:

I've been using the 900's off and on for some time. I look forward to hearing what you think of them.
“People may say I can’t sing, but no one can ever say I didn’t sing.” --Florence Foster Jenkins

jstroud

Post by jstroud » Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:17 am

on the 900's (trebles)so far i like them very much. this guitar(byers cedar) is almost too brilliant (since i play with alaska picks)so these are quite clear but have the nicest tone so far for trebles that I have tryed. only 3 days so far but will report back after a full week of playing. I will try Dadarrio rectified next. feel like i am getting close to the right mix between bass and trebles...no wonder sean cant afford a new reynoso guitar. instead of working he is posting...lol

oski79

Post by oski79 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:01 pm

jstroud... I would expect they'll sound a bit mellower in a week's time. They're one of my favorites.
jstroud wrote:no wonder sean cant afford a new reynoso guitar. instead of working he is posting...lol
Does Dake Traphagen know he's been dumped??? :lol:
“People may say I can’t sing, but no one can ever say I didn’t sing.” --Florence Foster Jenkins

jstroud

Post by jstroud » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:37 pm

thanks oski i will keep them on for a couple of weeks before i try the rectified. i will probably go ahead with the traphagen since i want a spruce, but two terrific guitar already not enough time to play them all. may have to make a choice and sell one of the cedars. nice problem to have

Hybrid

Post by Hybrid » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:56 am

D'addario J46 But technique is so important too. You have to develop a nice touch.

Sean

Post by Sean » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:33 am

Yes, I do get up @4 and practice from 5 to 6 in the mornings.

And it's official - I'm commissioning Mr. Reynoso for a cedar/IR guitar!

Vito Simplicio
Composer & Moderator
Composer & Moderator

Post by Vito Simplicio » Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:29 pm

Congrats, Sean, on deciding to get the new guitar. :okok:
( vitO )===:::

Oberg (2008)
Takamine C136S (1977)

Classical Guitar Forum

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”