The Best Warm Treble Strings?

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
jstroud

Re: The Best Warm Treble Strings?

Post by jstroud » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:44 am

Wyres? never heard of them. where do you get them? does strings bymail have them? 50% more sustain? that wouod be worth it!

jstroud

Post by jstroud » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:03 am

I have now been playing with these hannabach 900's trebles for 3 weeks and they sound so so good i am afriad to take them off! they are round and warm yet bright without being metallic. terrific strings!!!

phydaux

Post by phydaux » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:11 am

You can divide most Nylon strings into three category's the straight nylons that used to have tuning problems like the early Augustines which are now laser selected like D'Addario J45s etc. Rectified nylon like the Savarez 520's these are ground to make them consistent ( a slightly rough texture) Hannabach's are ground and then polished, the new Carbon fibre strings ( I think they are KF nylon) Savarez Allience, Hannabach carbon etc.

Carbon strings are great if you need more brightness, they can really lift the performance a an average sounding guitar, their critics say they sound to pingy ( like a steel string guitar) The Hannabach Goldens are my favorite carbon trebles. Greg Smallman who didn't like carbon strings is now using these ergo John Williams. D'Addario pro arts are the best tradition string in my opinion. Williams used to use standard tension J45's with a high tension 1st string. The Hannabach are probably even mellower but can get a little clunky on some guitars. Savarez Crystals, Augstine Imperials, Bernabe's etc now appear to be a compound between nylon and Carbon fiber. The Titanium trebles are similar to Carbon fiber strings. It's a good idea to use a Corum G string with traditional strings as has been suggested here before. Don't start me on Basses ;)

Vito Simplicio
Composer & Moderator
Composer & Moderator

Post by Vito Simplicio » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:48 pm

Welcome!

That was a pretty informative first post, phydaux.

Please take the time to introduce yourself here. Need some ideas in How To Write A Great Introductory Post? This should help.

:merci: Vito
( vitO )===:::

Oberg (2008)
Takamine C136S (1977)

Classical Guitar Forum

jstroud

Post by jstroud » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:52 pm

well on basses, just forget them all and belly up to the bar and buy the Labella argeto pure silver basses! on the two guitars i own there is no comparison. the high tensions seem to be a bit boomier in sound but the medium are terrific too. for me nothing else comes even close!

Vlad Kosulin

Post by Vlad Kosulin » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:20 pm

phydaux wrote: It's a good idea to use a Corum G string with traditional strings as has been suggested here before. Don't start me on Basses ;)
I am not sure what you mean by " Don't start me on Basses" :) , but there is not such thing as Corum G string 8) . Corum is basses only. G string from Savarez is either Alliance (carbon), or one of nylon ones: New Cristal, Cristal (not rectified), rectified, or wound (with plastic, aluminum, or silverplated copper).
Regards,
Vlad
(still testing various strings with 2006 Sebastian Stenzel and Olinda OC-300)

phydaux

Post by phydaux » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:05 am

Thanks for the edit Vlad I meant Alliance ( carbon)

macmanue

Post by macmanue » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:37 pm

I quite like the savarez new crystal trebles...

Kjetil Heggelund

Post by Kjetil Heggelund » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:57 pm

Hey! I just contacted Hannabach (regarding silver bass-strings) and they informed me that their Titanyl-strings now comes in 3 tensions (only med.high before). I've been using Hannabach 900's for a long time but switched to Titanyl 950. Both those treble sets are great & warm according to me! Along with some micro-mesh 12000 grade-sheet polishing on the nails it's a great sound experience every practice-session. :D
Kjetil.
Kevin Aram "Torres", 2009
Stephan Schlemper "Transparence", 2015
Whatever you can do to have a good time, let's get on with it so long as it doesn't cause a murder...FZ

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:24 am

Looking back over the posts on this thread the thing that really surprised me was seeing Goldin and (particularly) Alliance recommended. Warm? NOT! :D

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Post by Ramon Amira » Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:04 pm

Jose Ramirez Medium Tension.

Ramon
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

Jacek A. Rochacki

Post by Jacek A. Rochacki » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:39 pm

Prominent Critic wrote:Jose Ramirez Medium Tension.

Ramon
I wonder how they would sound in comparison to La Bella 2001 light tension on the same guitar/the same player ?
Antonio Picado, model 60, 2015, Cedar/IRW. Scale 640 mm.
Kenny Hill, model Madrid, 2002, No. 2019, Cedar/IRW. Scale 650 mm.

Filipp

Post by Filipp » Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:22 pm

jstroud wrote:Does anyone have an opinion on the trebles that are warm, sweet but still offer sustain and clarity?
If your guitar is naturally warm, try Galli Titanio (blue pack, normal or hard t.). My guitar has very warm mids and overall just a "warm" and somewhat loud guitar. I tried Galli Titanio h.t. and the combination of my guitar with these strings is:

- trebles are indeed sweet and clear. I like to say that they just "sing" more ( vs. D'addarios)
- basses are not "up front, in your face" ( vs. D'addarios again) but these the basses work together well with the trebles, complimenting them, the melody just stands out more naturally.
- balanced out my guitar overall

So, I don't know if I would call them warm (since my guitar is already warm) but I would definitely call them "sweet and singing". That's what I'm using now for a while and not planning to change....
2005 Danielson, experimental

milosmilostivi

Post by milosmilostivi » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:07 am

Someone mentioned in earlier posts Savarez New Crystal trebles, I tried them on my Hanika, they sound really nice.

ChristianSchwengeler
Luthier

Post by ChristianSchwengeler » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:45 pm

I often put Augustin red on clients guitars after repair. They sound really nice and are also very affordable. Augustin is still a very important reference in classical guitar strings and they are worth a try. In Schneidermusik saitenkatalog they are top rated by clients with 5 stars.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”