The Best Warm Treble Strings?

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
strumalong

Re: The Best Warm Treble Strings?

Post by strumalong » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:24 am

Last edited by strumalong on Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

strumalong

Post by strumalong » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:36 am

ChristianSchwengeler wrote:I often put Augustin red on clients guitars after repair. They sound really nice and are also very affordable. Augustin is still a very important reference in classical guitar strings and they are worth a try. In Schneidermusik saitenkatalog they are top rated by clients with 5 stars.
Yeah I think they're terrific strings. I've heard a few bad things about them on here but I find that with my guitar they are the sweetest, most resonant strings and I can play with a wider variation of tone colors. They can have some pretty major intonation issues though.

ChristianSchwengeler
Luthier

Post by ChristianSchwengeler » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:39 am

strumalong wrote:
ChristianSchwengeler wrote:I often put Augustin red on clients guitars after repair. They sound really nice and are also very affordable. Augustin is still a very important reference in classical guitar strings and they are worth a try. In Schneidermusik saitenkatalog they are top rated by clients with 5 stars.
Yeah I think they're terrific strings. I've heard a few bad things about them on here but I find that with my guitar they are the sweetest, most resonant strings and I can play with a wider variation of tone colors. They can have some pretty major intonation issues though.
I have also heard these bad things, but I was never able to find it confirmed. I know a few of brands who have serious intonation issues but not Augustine at least not now. They had this very quick string break down on D-4 of augustin blue and during a time they delivered 2 D4 strings with each set. But I had the same problem with Hannabach 815 also, and when I ordered Hannabach I had to order a bunch of extra D4 also.

tom0311
Amateur luthier

Post by tom0311 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:43 am

I'm on my 3rd set of augustines and on all sets the A string has come out of the pack frayed and unwound quite a lot, sometimes the D too. I like them though, the trebles especially.
“There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats.”

strumalong

Post by strumalong » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:08 pm

I don't mind the occasional intonation issues as their prices are low and I buy them in packs of 20 from SBM so I always have spares. I think the trebles are amazing. The intonation issues with me have mainly occurred on the 3rd string.

I also think they don't have the best reputation due to their string tension being very low.

ChristianSchwengeler
Luthier

Post by ChristianSchwengeler » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:22 am

I don't know what other strings you use, but I cannot find that Augustin red are low tension - for me they are really normal tension and rather on the upper side of the scale compared with D'Addario J45. It depends of course on the instrument. As far as I have read on the Augustin site the trebles in the sets are all the same unless they mention that the set is Regal or Imperial with the respective basses of any tension, red or blue or black

Dofpic

Post by Dofpic » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:23 pm

Any new thoughts on this threads title? I have one guitar with a terrific top eno matter what string I put on it pops sustains but still a bit shrill. Any other string suggestions? No carbons please.
Spruce,2011Fritz Ober(maple), 2015 Eric Sahlin, 2006 Greg Byers(fan not lattice)2009 Eric Monrad(maple/Brazilian/spruce)
2012 Martin Blackwell(for sale), 2001 Dominique Field(for sale)
Cedar, 2014 Joshua DeJonge( for sale)

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:32 pm

The problem is what you consider warm or not warm. For me a warm sound would have a solid basis and nice overtones. Augustine Imperials would be a 'warm sounding' string for me (trebles).
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

souldier

Post by souldier » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:01 pm

In terms of warmth, color and complexity my go to is still La Bella 2001's. What I've learned over and over though is that changing strings can only go so far. The inherit sound of the guitar will still always come through, so even the warmest string can only go so far to remedy a shrill top E string.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:59 am

Dofpic wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:23 pm
Any new thoughts on this threads title? I have one guitar with a terrific top eno matter what string I put on it pops sustains but still a bit shrill. Any other string suggestions? No carbons please.
Hi Jim

Can you have a go at your second sentence again. I suspect a typo or two in there.... then I'd be happy to offer an opinion.

Cheers
Peter

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:54 am

souldier wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:01 pm
In terms of warmth, color and complexity my go to is still La Bella 2001's. What I've learned over and over though is that changing strings can only go so far. The inherit sound of the guitar will still always come through, so even the warmest string can only go so far to remedy a shrill top E string.
Are you talking abgout the whole set or just trebles? As to the trebles I quite like them in terms of 'warmth', but they sound a bit stiffer than Imperials (less singing). The 2001 basses are not the warmest sounding basses to my ears...
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

Ludwig

Post by Ludwig » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:01 am

In my experience, Hannabach Titanyl strings are warm with clarity!
Also Aranjuez Suave 800 silver.

Dofpic

Post by Dofpic » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:51 am

just looking for opinions on a great top e string that is strong but not shrill, has round bell like tones and warm.
Spruce,2011Fritz Ober(maple), 2015 Eric Sahlin, 2006 Greg Byers(fan not lattice)2009 Eric Monrad(maple/Brazilian/spruce)
2012 Martin Blackwell(for sale), 2001 Dominique Field(for sale)
Cedar, 2014 Joshua DeJonge( for sale)

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:00 pm

Dofpic wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:51 am
just looking for opinions on a great top e string that is strong but not shrill, has round bell like tones and warm.
Try Ramirez MT.

souldier

Post by souldier » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:20 pm

rojarosguitar wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:54 am
souldier wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:01 pm
Are you talking abgout the whole set or just trebles? As to the trebles I quite like them in terms of 'warmth', but they sound a bit stiffer than Imperials (less singing). The 2001 basses are not the warmest sounding basses to my ears...
Yes definitely referring to the trebles. Basses are quite average but they get the job done. I find the imperials to be more bright and punchy probably due to the higher tension.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”