When changing strings

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
Derry

Re: When changing strings

Post by Derry » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:29 pm

guess it depends on how I feel the day I change strings as I do it both ways and never give a thought as to which way today or had any problems arising starting with my first student CG I purchased back in 1969 which I still have and play,, agree with the others, there are so many myths and hearsay's generated over the years and they just keep rolling along,, it would be nice to hear the real horror story that happened in lieu of another "well I believe",,

Derry

MikeToot

Post by MikeToot » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:09 pm

I'm more worried about damage from changes in humidity and temperature than "trauma" from changing all the strings at once.

Tarbaby (1953 - 2016)

Post by Tarbaby (1953 - 2016) » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:11 pm

GuitarVlog wrote:The myth most likely originated from a skewing of what is indeed sound advice on all TAILPIECE instruments (violins, cellos, arch-top guitars): if you take all the strings off, the bridge falls off!
That's VERY interesting, Vlog.

When my cellist roommate in college changed his strings, he wasn't so concerned about the bridge falling off. The problem was that when the bridge was off, there was no pressure holding the sound post in place inside the instrument. We had to design a tool to re-place the sound post.

Not easy to do through those F holes. :chaud:

Alan

Kris

Post by Kris » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:56 pm

Tarbaby wrote:The problem was that when the bridge was off, there was no pressure holding the sound post in place inside the instrument.
Which is probably why Mr. Cumpiano said that it IS sound advice for those types of instruments (i.e. less hassle if you let the tailpiece sit tight). I doubt it has any actual damaging effect even on those instruments.

KeMe

Post by KeMe » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:43 am

I just looked at the warranty pamphlet that came with my Alhambra and it advises against taking off all of the strings at one time. I suppose that if any damages occur because of it, then the warranty wouldn't cover the damage.

Kay :sorride:
Music touches the heart, but playing classical guitar can lift your heart and enrich your life.

GuitarVlog

Post by GuitarVlog » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:38 am

KeMe wrote:I just looked at the warranty pamphlet that came with my Alhambra and it advises against taking off all of the strings at one time. I suppose that if any damages occur because of it, then the warranty wouldn't cover the damage.
Yamaha tech services doesn't recommend hard-tension strings for either of my Yamahas (both of which have lifetime warranties). I string them with hard-tension Savarez anyway.

I think factories and support offices just want to minimize warranty repairs.

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Post by Ramon Amira » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:55 am

Really, wouldn't a luthier here be able to give a reasoned opinion. Where are you all hiding? :D
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

GuitarVlog

Post by GuitarVlog » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:22 am

Prominent Critic wrote:Really, wouldn't a luthier here be able to give a reasoned opinion.
William Cumpiano, whose book launched many other luthiers, isn't good enough?

Actually, this has been discussed before ... to the same conclusion. Try the search function.

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Post by Ramon Amira » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:54 am

Well, I was looking for a consensus, but in any case, what was the "conclusion?" I have always changed them one string at a time, and tune up as I go along, but I would still like to hear opinions from various luthiers on the subject.
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

sgreen

Post by sgreen » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:02 am

KeMe wrote:I just looked at the warranty pamphlet that came with my Alhambra and it advises against taking off all of the strings at one time. I suppose that if any damages occur because of it, then the warranty wouldn't cover the damage.
Kay :sorride:
That is the good thing you caught it. Although may sound like a harmless thing to do it may still cancel your warranty.

- sgreen

sgreen

Post by sgreen » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:05 am

Prominent Critic wrote:Well, I was looking for a consensus, but in any case, what was the "conclusion?" I have always changed them one string at a time, and tune up as I go along, but I would still like to hear opinions from various luthiers on the subject.
Pretty much in the same boat. I do not mind changing strings one by one, except I do like the fingerboard and frets to be very clean. Which makes it virtually impossible when changing one string at a time. So it is like "damage" or clean, which is it ;) ?

- sgreen

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:07 am

This thread illustrates the way myths get perpetuated. Even though no one has come up with any evidence that taking off all the strings causes damage it is clear that some posters continue to believe it does :!:
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Paul Fischer (1995) and Lester Backshall (2008)
Yamaha SLG 130NW silent classical guitar (2014), Ramirez Guitarra del Tiempo (2017)

iain

Re: restring

Post by iain » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:19 pm

removing all strings at once has the same effect as loosening ones trouser belt after two weeks of festive indulgences.
iain

LVR

Re: restring

Post by LVR » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:01 am

Um, iain, you haven't taken your trousers off for two weeks?
More to the point, almost all luthiers maintain that it is just fine to change all the strings at the same time on a guitar.
The basic thing about playing the guitar is the pleasure you get from it. There's nothing wrong with pleasure is there?
Julian Bream

James Lister
Luthier

Post by James Lister » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:55 pm

Prominent Critic wrote:Really, wouldn't a luthier here be able to give a reasoned opinion. Where are you all hiding? :D
I think all the luthiers here have probably got a bit bored with this topic. Suffice to say, I've never come across a luthier who thought taking all the strings off at once was a problem on a classical guitar.

James
James Lister, luthier, Sheffield UK

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”