Dogal...The best treble strings I have ever played.

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
Dofpic

Dogal...The best treble strings I have ever played.

Post by Dofpic » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:03 pm

I have tryed just about every treble out there on both cedar and spruce instruments. I have also tryed them on traditional, double tops and lattice and i have to say that the Dogal Trebles are the best I have played.

They are a combination of carbon and nylon. They are clear like nylon and just a bit flat like carbon but in my opinion they give you the best of both.

they carry and have that real cutting sound when you need and often want in trebles, but they have a beautiful warm sound that vibrates easy. I have them on two instruments a cedar traditional and a spruce lattice and they sound terrific! They do not have that tinny sound that I find on most carbons.

I was told about them by a friend who was a past student of Ralph Towner who swears by them.

The negative is you have to buy a full set at $18 from SBM but the basses are also excellent too. I would rate them third behind the Labella argento pure silver first and savarez Cantega second. I have not found a site that will sell you just the trebles.

I have only had them on two guitars for a week now but so far they are terrific!
Spruce,2011Fritz Ober(maple), 2015 Eric Sahlin, 2006 Greg Byers(fan not lattice)
2012 Michel Bruck ,2012 Martin Blackwell, 2001 Dominique Field
Cedar, 2014 Joshua DeJonge,

cadiz

Re: Dogal...The best treble strings I have ever played.

Post by cadiz » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:26 pm

No strings known as carbon contains truly carbon or/and kevlar (e.g. Dogal Diamante), not more than of titanium ( Galli Genius Titanium, or Hannabach Titanyl), not more of... fluorine and carbon… (Seaguar Fluorocarbon = fishing line!), not more than of… the crystal, even of the new crystal… (Savarez Cristal, New cristal).
They are arguments of marketing to be different from the concurrent trades, and to start again the interest of the purchaser (i.e., us!) for a supposedly new product!
And will you notice that each time the new process (?, who undoubtedly consists of a very light modification in the composition of polymers) is described as revolutionist!!

Dofpic

Post by Dofpic » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:13 pm

I am guessing you are correct. But to my simple mind all I care about is how they sound and they are the best sounding ones I have tryed.
Spruce,2011Fritz Ober(maple), 2015 Eric Sahlin, 2006 Greg Byers(fan not lattice)

gauchita

Post by gauchita » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:00 pm

cadiz wrote:No strings known as carbon contains truly carbon or/and kevlar (e.g. Dogal Diamante), not more than of titanium ( Galli Genius Titanium, or Hannabach Titanyl), not more of... fluorine and carbon… (Seaguar Fluorocarbon = fishing line!), not more than of… the crystal, even of the new crystal… (Savarez Cristal, New cristal).
They are arguments of marketing to be different from the concurrent trades, and to start again the interest of the purchaser (i.e., us!) for a supposedly new product!
And will you notice that each time the new process (?, who undoubtedly consists of a very light modification in the composition of polymers) is described as revolutionist!!
I don't actually know how carbon or titanium strings are made or what the nylon contains that make them different from the older nylon strings .But Oasis carbons are different from ordinary nylon and it is not just just marketing.Indeed,there has been some debate whether the difference is desirable .Personally I like carbon strings and I would give Dogal a go.The materials that guitar strings are made of is not an issue for me.The issue is, do the strings sound good ,stay in tune , reasonably durable and not too expensive.

John O

Post by John O » Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:22 pm

Dofpic wrote:I have tryed just about every treble out there on both cedar and spruce instruments. I have also tryed them on traditional, double tops and lattice and i have to say that the Dogal Trebles are the best I have played.
How is their intonation? Most carbon trebles have some issues in that regard--generally they are sharp at the 12th fret by up to 12 cents! I have some Oasis carbons on my Angella at the moment--I had to replace the 1st string with an Augustine Regal, as the carbon was just too "tinny"/metallic. However, the intonation is acceptable. I do like carbon strings' sustain and clarity.

Dofpic

Post by Dofpic » Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:28 pm

I Currently have them on two instruments and intonation is excellent on both. The high e really zings like a carbon but has the warmth of a good nylon. The g string may not sustain quite like a carbon but better than a nylon. So for me an excellent alternative.

carlos

Post by carlos » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:24 pm

Ordered some today. I will try them.

coppice

Post by coppice » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:15 pm

cadiz wrote:No strings known as carbon contains truly carbon or/and kevlar (e.g. Dogal Diamante), not more than of titanium ( Galli Genius Titanium, or Hannabach Titanyl), not more of... fluorine and carbon… (Seaguar Fluorocarbon = fishing line!), not more than of… the crystal, even of the new crystal… (Savarez Cristal, New cristal).
Different strings behave and feel quite differently. Why would you doubt that there substantial differences in their makeup? Carbon is a dumb marketing name for hydrofluorocarbon strings. As far as I know nobody makes strings from carbon fibre, which the name seems to imply. The exact material, as you said, started life as fishing line, although this is largely irrelevant. Strings which say they have kevlar fibres among the bundle in the core do appear to have them. Why wouldn't they? Kelvar isn't cheap, but a few fibres in each of three strings isn't going to break the bank. Titanium in string names appears to be pure marketing. The name seems to be applied to strings in the same way it is now being applied to premium credit cards. I can't imagine titanium would be interesting for classical guitars, anyway. It might have interesting qualities for steel string acoustics. Crystal in string names is a weird one. Its purely a marketing term, but "crystal" is not really a word with a good emotive connection to "string". Crystals are hard and spikey and various other things you wouldn't like to be rubbing your fingers against thousands of time per day.

riffmeister

Post by riffmeister » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:32 pm

My friend Billy uses nothing but Cristal strings.

I've never understood the "titanium" string nomenclature. Why would I want to make my synthetic polymer string guitars sound like my metal string guitars?

Mike Gover

Post by Mike Gover » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:02 pm

Wonder how much titanium there is the golf ball I found yesterday?

Denis Paradis

Post by Denis Paradis » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:21 am

Mike Gover wrote:Wonder how much titanium there is the golf ball I found yesterday?
Probably traces of it in the white paint :)

Denis
“Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music”

- Rachmaninov

WilliamSchart

Post by WilliamSchart » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:42 pm

Just to be a nit picker, every nylon string ever made, and in fact, every gut string ever made contains carbon, just not elemental carbon. In fact, every guitar player ever born contains carbon too!

andi33x

Post by andi33x » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:44 pm

Hi Dofpic,
thank you for your post. :merci:
I will give them a try.
CU
Andi
There is nothing more beautiful than the sound of a guitar - maybe aside from that of two guitars (Frederic Chopin)

Charles Mokotoff

Post by Charles Mokotoff » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:51 pm

I just put a set of Dogal trebles on my guitar, they really are very good. I found the "regular" to be too floppy for me, the next tension up "strong" seem much better. The third string is a bit fat and tubby, but not too bad. I suspect I will eventually put a carbon string on for that, but they are really quite nice. I have yet to try to basses.

I noticed when first putting them on, they felt like just plain old nylon strings, but after a few hours you realize this is something different. I recommend these to anyone who wants the warmth and feel of nylon with some of the ooomph of carbon. FWIW, the 2nd string was a bit rough, but it isn't too troublesome, I found that disappointing, and hope it isn't an issue with production.

If these were available as either a treble set or singles, I suspect I would be a convert.

Dofpic

Post by Dofpic » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:01 am

the basses arenot bad but not my fav, but the trebles are really terrific. unfortunately they only come as an entire set. I put on the entire set then when time to replace the basses I just keep the trebles on and go back to favorite basses as normally keep the trebles on for a couple of months and the basses for only 3 weeks or so.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”