Dogal...The best treble strings I have ever played.

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
batvanio

Re: Dogal...The best treble strings I have ever played.

Post by batvanio » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:50 pm

I ordered a set of Dogal Diamante and really liked them. Sound is superb, bright and warm, intonation is very good, and they do not put any stress on my fingers (tried the medium tension). The only thing I found different from their advertisements is that they go out of tune if you don't play them a day or so (by about half tone), while ad says you can pretty much put them on the guitar and perform immediately without any tuning issues. However, this is fairly typical for many other strings, plus I really only have played them for 3 days or so ...
So far, these strings seem to be the best fit for my guitar (which has a bit of a high action , bridge is already low enough so I cannot compensate), so any other typical strings would be harder to play.

Charles Mokotoff

Post by Charles Mokotoff » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:24 pm

I think the trebles are pretty good, on my double top they work well, on my traditional spruce guitar I prefer Carbons. However, I didn't like the basses at all, they took days and days of playing to finally stay in tune. I think the "Strong" tension is effected by simply making the string thicker, the regular tension felt floppy, the Strong tension felt thick and floppy. At least for me, on my instruments.

The fact that you cannot get these trebles without the basses sort of makes it a non-starter...YMMV...

carlos

Post by carlos » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:29 pm

Until now I try the Dogal Diamante (medium tension) on one of my cedar top guitars. Trebles as recommended are fantastic. The basses ok when they settle in.

Cincy2

Post by Cincy2 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:07 pm

I've put a set on my Byers. The basses are snappy and resonant but they took about 20 hours of playing to stabilize. That is a long time versus the competition. The trebles are sparkly like Carbons without the shredding problems I've had with others. Overall, I'd buy them again.

Cincy
A wood box, empty
A sensitive heart, too full
You and I connect.

Kenbobpdx

Post by Kenbobpdx » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:10 pm

I tried a set of the Diamante Soft and really liked the trebles a lot. They sounded great, were easy to control, and had a great overall tone on my guitar. The basses were nothing to write home about. Actually they were very soft sounding and hard to push much volume out of. I contacted SBM to see if they could sell the trebles separately. They responded (within an hour of my e-mail!) that they want to but they haven't been able to work it it out with Dogal yet. Hopefully they will as I would definitely go back to the trebles.
"If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend six sharpening my axe."
Abraham Lincoln

Dofpic

Post by Dofpic » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:30 am

the basses are nothing special but the trebles were excellent on my Traphagen, Sahlin and Gropius. Have not tryed them on the Tacchi but even awful trebles sound wonderful on that guitar.
Spruce,2011Fritz Ober(maple), 2015 Eric Sahlin, 2006 Greg Byers(fan not lattice)
2012 Michel Bruck ,2012 Martin Blackwell, 2001 Dominique Field
Cedar, 2014 Joshua DeJonge,

ken

Post by ken » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:45 am

What are the diameters of the Dogal trebles? Does any one have that info. ? Thanks

bacsidoan

Post by bacsidoan » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:12 am

ken wrote:What are the diameters of the Dogal trebles? Does any one have that info. ? Thanks
Strong Tension
Note Diameter (In)
e       0.030
b       0.034
g       0.041
D       0.030
A       0.037
E       0.046

Regular Tension
Note Diameter (In)
e       0.0285
b       0.0335
g       0.040
D       0.030
A       0.035
E       0.044

es335

Post by es335 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:37 pm

I tried a set of regular tension and are deeply impressed. The treble are immaculate. Response and sustain in no way second to Carbons but without their harshness. The e string is about the best I ever came across. The basses match very well on my guitar and the total tension of the set seems to be the perfect match to drive its spruce top. Never encountered the top feeling so soft before. Will keep on buying them although this means, that I will always have to replace a complete set. :D

bacsidoan

Post by bacsidoan » Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:28 pm

The time to buy is now, Black Friday sale:

Regular price: $19
SBM: $13.49
GSI: $12.67

John O

Post by John O » Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:32 pm

bacsidoan wrote:The time to buy is now, Black Friday sale:

Regular price: $19
SBM: $13.49
GSI: $12.67
SBM sold out almost immediately, but more are coming in Mon/Tues.

chelson

Post by chelson » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:33 pm

Just ordered!
Without heart and desire, talent is nothing.

Tom

Post by Tom » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:41 pm

chelson wrote:Just ordered!

I was about to order also... Maybe when you receive it and test on your guitar let us know how it goes...

chelson

Post by chelson » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:17 pm

Tom wrote:
chelson wrote:Just ordered!

I was about to order also... Maybe when you receive it and test on your guitar let us know how it goes...
Sure! Let's see when will it arrive.
Without heart and desire, talent is nothing.

JLV

Post by JLV » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:57 pm

bacsidoan wrote:
ken wrote:What are the diameters of the Dogal trebles? Does any one have that info. ? Thanks
Strong Tension
Note Diameter (In)
e       0.030
b       0.034
g       0.041
D       0.030
A       0.037
E       0.046

Regular Tension
Note Diameter (In)
e       0.0285
b       0.0335
g       0.040
D       0.030
A       0.035
E       0.044

Does anyone has the different tensions.
I would like to make a try with Savarez Cantiga blue and hesitate between Dogal HT or RT.
Thanks a lot,

Jean-Luc, Montpellier

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”