Dogal...The best treble strings I have ever played.

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
davemoult

Re: Dogal...The best treble strings I have ever played.

Post by davemoult » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:52 pm

Has anyone got any idea where I can get the strings in the UK or Europe. As postage from the states is silly anything from $15/$20. Per parcel.

es335

Post by es335 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:15 pm

davemoult wrote:Has anyone got any idea where I can get the strings in the UK or Europe. As postage from the states is silly anything from $15/$20. Per parcel.
I would recommend Schneidermusik in Germany. They ship EU wide and have a selection that I would consider par with SBM.

But like all other EU sources I know they only offer Dogal complete sets. No individual strings nor trebles packs. SBM is the only exception I know! :?

davemoult

Post by davemoult » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:12 pm

es335 wrote:
davemoult wrote:Has anyone got any idea where I can get the strings in the UK or Europe. As postage from the states is silly anything from $15/$20. Per parcel.
I would recommend Schneidermusik in Germany. They ship EU wide and have a selection that I would consider par with SBM.

But like all other EU sources I know they only offer Dogal complete sets. No individual strings nor trebles packs. SBM is the only exception I know! :?

Thank you

wianno

Post by wianno » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:57 pm

Have you asked SBM exactly what the postage would be for the strings? My guess is that a few packages of strings would be six to seven dollars at most.

Jack

John Underhill

Post by John Underhill » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:21 pm

es335 wrote:

Guitarwebshop in Switzerland sell the individual strings.

davemoult

Post by davemoult » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:39 am

wianno wrote:Have you asked SBM exactly what the postage would be for the strings? My guess is that a few packages of strings would be six to seven dollars at most.

Jack
Yes I have it was $15, They have said they will look into ways to reduce it. Will be ok if the dollar keeps going down against the pound.

Good for me but I guess not so good for you guys.

Looking at your location. Nice part of the world your from.

es335

Post by es335 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:37 am

John Underhill wrote:... Guitarwebshop in Switzerland sell the individual strings.
Great! Thanks a lot for this valuable information! :D

Yisrael van Handel

Post by Yisrael van Handel » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:49 am

Amazing!! I tried Dogal strings and found them exceedingly dull and grumpy in tone. Also, the D string breaks constantly.
Yisrael van Handel
Modi'in Ilit, Israel

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:03 pm

Yisrael van Handel wrote:Amazing!! I tried Dogal strings and found them exceedingly dull and grumpy in tone. Also, the D string breaks constantly.
I've never heard of a grumpy tone!! :-)

The dullness could be if the tension was too low. In my view it is essential to use the strong tension Dogals, they do sound a little bit more open and brighter than the normal tension strings. of course, they may not have suited your guitar or your playing style ....

Peter

Fred Klinge

Post by Fred Klinge » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:18 pm

petermc61 wrote: In my view it is essential to use the strong tension Dogals, they do sound a little bit more open and brighter than the normal tension strings. of course, they may not have suited your guitar or your playing style ....

Peter

Peter....I'm also experiencing the same dullness with normal tension Dogal trebles paired with normal tension D'Addario EJ45c basses. You recommend pairing the high tension Dogal trebles with normal tension basses? I'm breaking in a new Hauser-style spruce/rosewood guitar. Didn't like the normal tension Cantiga basses and the EJ45c basses provide a bit more low end. Thanks!

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:20 am

Fred Klinge wrote:
petermc61 wrote: In my view it is essential to use the strong tension Dogals, they do sound a little bit more open and brighter than the normal tension strings. of course, they may not have suited your guitar or your playing style ....

Peter

Peter....I'm also experiencing the same dullness with normal tension Dogal trebles paired with normal tension D'Addario EJ45c basses. You recommend pairing the high tension Dogal trebles with normal tension basses? I'm breaking in a new Hauser-style spruce/rosewood guitar. Didn't like the normal tension Cantiga basses and the EJ45c basses provide a bit more low end. Thanks!
Yes, the 'normal' tension Dogal are quite low in tension, as are the 'strong' as well. Don't be deceived by the label descriptors. Go for the strong, they feel and sound better in my opinion. Then again, we may not have the same tastes - I love the normal tension Cantiga basses!!

Peter

jimbuerosse

Post by jimbuerosse » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:19 am

I had the same problem with the Dogal trebles - and I bought the strong tension version ("NR127C Strong"). They were quite expensive (~$25 for the full set), and I had high expectations. Frankly they sounded just dead when I put them on - like they were already 6 months old. The basses are nice, but nothing exceptional. I took the trebles off after a week - they just didn't get any better. I re-stung the trebles with D'Addario Titanium trebles and kept the Dogal basses, which sounds pretty good now, but not the best I've heard my guitar sound....

In my opinion, nothing (so far) beats the sound of Hannabach Super Carbon trebles. I've had them only once so far, and I was completely blown away by how much better they are than standard D'Addario Pro Arte Hard Tension (which are pretty good in my opinion, especially for the price). I got the Hannabach Super Carbons with the full set of Hannabach Goldins I bought. The full set is pretty expensive - $27. The Goldin basses sound nice, and look terrific, but it's hard to justify the price on that. The Super Carbon trebles, though, are totally worth the $15!!! I'm still trying different strings, but these are the best I've heard yet...

PAN A575

Post by PAN A575 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:40 am

Just ordered the Dogal Diamante Strong Tension NR127C, Treble Set (Str_Trebles) $6.99. Delivery estimated 7 to 21 days.

Yesterday I swapped out the factory supplied d'Addario EXP for a full set of high tension Savarez Corum New Cristal 500CJ. If I haven't worn the bass strings out, I'll try out the Dogals with them, otherwise I have a fresh set of D'Addario EJ45 to match them up with. I also read good things about the Savarez Cantiga basses. Any other good match ups?

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:14 am

PAN A575 wrote:Just ordered the Dogal Diamante Strong Tension NR127C, Treble Set ..<snip>.. I also read good things about the Savarez Cantiga basses. Any other good match ups?
The Cantiga medium tension basses ($8) are probably my most often preferred match and are not too expensive. In order of increasing price I have also had good success with Royal Classics Sonata ($12), once excellently with Knobloch Actives ($16) and sometimes with La Bella Argento Silvers ($18-29). All prices are SBM bass only sets to give a comparative guide. The reason I qualify the Argento's is they sound a little lightweight on a couple of my guitars, but when they match a guitar well boy do they sound great!

I'd try Cantiga and maybe the Sonatas or Knobloch first off and see how you go.

Regards
Peter

PAN A575

Post by PAN A575 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:41 pm

Thanks Peter. I should have asked before I ordered the Dogals. I could have added the Cantiga to the order and possibly saved any addition shipping cost. If the Dogals work out as well as most reviews here, I''ll order more and include the Cantigas. Would that be the 510R Bass?

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”