Dogal...The best treble strings I have ever played.

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
ben etow

Re: Dogal...The best treble strings I have ever played.

Post by ben etow » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:45 pm

petermc61 wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:22 pm
ben etow wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:15 pm
I've just put a Diamante "soft" B. After 18 hours, It feels and sounds like a low tension bright sounding nylon (Savarez New Cristal as to sound and feel, not tensionwise). The sustain is much lower than the same notes on both my first Optima carbon NT and my third Dr. Junger supersona LT (and both seem to sound warmer!).
I don't think this B will make it through 48 hours.

I wasn't convinced either by their lightest tension first on another guitar, so I think it's the last time I put Dogal strings on any guitar. There are so many better options IMO...
Ben

Not sure whether this will address your concerns but try the Strong tension (which are really low tension). The Soft you tried are very low in tension and have never impressed me. The Strong do, on the right guitar.

Regards
Peter
Thanks Peter. Could you elaborate on the "right" guitar?
Are you thinking about a dark sounding one (typical, even old, cedar) which would need clarity?

Would Dogal use different material for its soft tension and strong tension strings (in which case I may hope for something more suitable)?
The one I tried really look and sound like nylon to me. And I've been playing for more than 20 nearly exclusively with carbons...

Best regards.
Ben

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:53 am

I just changed from a full set of Hannabach Gold 825's (MT-my normal set) to Gold Basses paired with the Dogal trebles(MT). The Dogal trebles are still stretching but have a "bell like" tone and outstanding projection. I will determine their intonation/longevity capabilities after they've settled into stability mode. My guitar is a LoPrinzi Cedar Spanish Grand Concert 650mm. More to come . . . Playing again . . . Rognvald
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:32 pm

I am still using the Dogal Diamante trebles. I've ever tried regular and strong tension. The strong tension trebles are just a couple of thousandths bigger in diameter. And both sound very good to my ears. Great match up with the Cantiga MT basses. They seem to last a lot longer (trebles ) than the Ramirez medium tension.

This combination of Savarez/Dogal sounds just a little bit brighter than the Ramirez strings. Basses are more fundamental. It's time to change the Ramirez strings on my cedar 4NE. As the Savarez/Dogal lasts so much longer I am going to use this on my 4NE next.

The Ramirez strings on my 4NE have been on for about 8 weeks and only played about a half hour a day, and some days not at all. They are starting to stay in tune almost perfectly when left in a stand over night, which to me says that it's about time to change them.

The last guitar I had the Dogal/Savarez combination on was a Ramirez 125 anyos. They lasted a long time playing an hour a day, I changed them after 2 months, as the D was getting kind of skanky.

Mike Steede

Post by Mike Steede » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:06 pm

Has anyone heard of Strings by Mail 'Custom Customer Concoctions' series of strings? In essence, you make up your own set of preferred strings (across manufacturers) and they retain record of your combo for future ordering or ordering by other parties. I have a set coming that looks really promising - the CA-FOC set (FOC for 'full of color') - here's the description by the creator -

"The set provides a well-rounded sound that allows a quiet guitar to project quite a lot more. The balance between the different strings I find suits my playing style. The polished basses help reduce unwanted string noise. The carbon 3rd and 2nd provide better projection and great colour, whilst the Regal blue high e string takes away the 'stinginess' that seems to be associated with carbon high e strings, allowing for a more expressive string, whilst not lacking response and colour."

1st: Augustine Regal - 1st string (e) - Regal Blue
2nd: Savarez Alliance KF 542J - 2nd string (b) high tension .0280
3rd: Savarez Alliance KF 543J - 3rd string (g) high tension .0339
4th: D'Addario Composite Lightly Polished J4604LP , hard tension .028
5th: D'Addario Composite Lightly Polished J4605LP , hard tension .035
6th: D'Addario Composite Lightly Polished J4606LP, hard tension .045
2017 Steve Ganz 'New Moon'
2017 Yamaha NCX900FM

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:34 pm

Yes I've seen that you can create a custom set at SBM. I am still experimenting though. I am going to try next the Savarez red Cantiga basses and Dogal Diamanté 3rd and 2nd, and some type of nylon for the high E. I would try the Ramirez high E, but SBM doesn't have singles in that brand. I am trying to find a high E I like better. Any suggestions welcome. Peter?...

Brandon Walker

Post by Brandon Walker » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:31 pm

If the Diamante 1st is a bit too thin or bright, I would try an Augustine Imperial 1st. Or Royal Classic NT.

Also, Dogal Venetian trebles are worth a try.

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:43 am

I haven't read the whole thread, but in my experience, if I come up with the idea 'these are the best strings I ever played', this is only temporary and it wears out quite quickly.
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Post by Ramon Amira » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:45 am

Well, based on all these great reviews I tried a set of Diamante Regular. Here's my verdict - these are the best treble strings I have ever played.

Sweet and bright and warm and crystal clear all at the same time. Someone complained about the third string. I think it sounds great - no tubby and a smooth transition from Four. Also several members have said that the tension feels low, etc, even the high tension. Not to me. I found the Regular to feel like higher tension than EJ45 and Augustine Imperial, both of which are designated as Regular or Medium. I will switch to low tension whenever SBM sells trebles separately for the Low tension. Right now they do for Regular but not for Low.

But the best aspect of all doesn't seem to have been mentioned here. These trebles are the fullest bodied trebles I have ever played. Fat sound with real substance. That was obvious just from playing them, but to satisfy myself I took off the first string and put on an Imperial. The difference was immediately manifest - the Imperial sounded decidedly thinner. Next the same with EJ45, which sounded just plain puny by comparison, and I love the sound of EJ45.

I have a feeling that the Low tension will sound even better, and when paired with Cantiga Medium will make for one terrific set. Total cost - $15. This is it for me, unless something better comes along, but these are going to be hard to beat. And no, this is not temporary and will not wear out quickly - these trebles are the real deal.

Ramon
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

Hotsoup

Post by Hotsoup » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:12 pm

Uh oh, both seals of approval from Ramon AND Peter? I'll have to give these another shot. I tried them a while ago but felt they were a little too bright and not very complex in sound. (In retrospect, I feel that guitar was on the bright side..) They were very responsive and dynamic though, which I made note of. It was the "Regular NR127B" set, paired with Pyramid silver basses.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:55 pm

I am currently using:
E Hannabach
B Dogal Diamante
G Dogal Diamante
D Cantiga
A Cantiga
E Corum

All in high tension. Will try a Knobloch Nylon next for high E as the Hannabach 815 feels really stiff.

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:04 pm

Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:55 pm
I am currently using:
E Hannabach
B Dogal Diamante
G Dogal Diamante
D Cantiga
A Cantiga
E Corum

All in high tension. Will try a Knobloch Nylon next for high E as the Hannabach 815 feels really stiff.
High tension Hannabach? I know why they feel stiff!

Charles Mokotoff

Post by Charles Mokotoff » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:43 pm

Agreed, Hannabach does not really seem to make a low tension string. Their low tension is medium and their medium is high. Their high is ridiculous!

Staying with this thread, I have now tried Dogal Diamente (all six) and Maestrale (trebles only) on several guitars and, personally, I just don't like them for many reasons. Its, obviously, a very personal decision as so many of you seem to prefer this brand.

I put the normal tension Maestrale on my spruce double top recently and the top string was kinda cool, but its intensity became troubling after a day. The 2nd and 3rd were just totally unacceptable in tone for me, took them off after an hour.

es335

Post by es335 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:48 pm

Charles Mokotoff wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:43 pm
Agreed, Hannabach does not really seem to make a low tension string. Their low tension is medium and their medium is high. Their high is ridiculous!
Sorry to object, but it’s even worse! :shock:

Hannabach’s super low tension equals normal/medium tension EJ45 and low tension Hannabach equals high tension EJ46!

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:51 am

I took off the Hannabach high E, and replaced it with the Diamante E. It's a little pingy. I think I really like the Dogal's in medium tension, with the Cantiga basses. The hard tension strings seemed to choke out this particular guitar. Hard tension Ramirez were different, didn't choke it out, but I think I am going to go back to the Dogal/Savarez in medium tension.

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:41 am

Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:51 am
I took off the Hannabach high E, and replaced it with the Diamante E. It's a little pingy. I think I really like the Dogal's in medium tension, with the Cantiga basses. The hard tension strings seemed to choke out this particular guitar. Hard tension Ramirez were different, didn't choke it out, but I think I am going to go back to the Dogal/Savarez in medium tension.
Not sure what you mean by ‘pingy’ But make sure you give the Dogals a minimum of say 72 hours under tension to settle down tonally.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”