Strings for Cordoba C10 SP/IN

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
Supperconductor

Strings for Cordoba C10 SP/IN

Postby Supperconductor » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:28 am

Just got a Cordoba C10. Manufacturer's website says it come with Savarez Cristal Corum High Tension 500CJ. I found the sound of the guitar rather uneven with the low E dominating in volume and diminishing with the high E being the quietest string. As fate would have it, the D string unraveled itself at the tuning machine end and gave me an excuse to change the entire set.

I had a new set of Savarez 500 ARJ on hand and found it to be a much better match for this guitar. String to string volume is very even, with good top end sparkle, and the guitar no longer sounds "hollow".

Anyway I just wanted to compare notes with anyone else out there with this instrument.
- Kam

2012 Hippner Hauser SP/IR
[Savarez Corum 500R Normal Basses
La Bella RN-L Rectified Nylon Light Trebles]

harryf

Re: Strings for Cordoba C10 SP/IN

Postby harryf » Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:50 pm

I just bought the exact same guitar about a month ago. When it first arrived I was disappointed. It sounded very dead. I noted pretty much the same sound as you described. I played the heck out of it for a couple of days and it started opening up noticeably, and I found that the string to string sound began to get more even. (By the way, I was advised by the salesman that the guitar would sound dead and would need some playing time to develop the sound). At this point the D string broke (!!??). Put on D'Addario EJ45C (normal tension). I thought these strings sounded just plain dull and were too light and floppy. But the string to string balance was pretty good and continued to improve. The brown G string in the set sounded better than the regular one, but had kind of a funny plastic sort of tone. After a week I changed to D'Addario EJ46C (hard tension). Louder and more even sounding through the trebles. After two weeks playing these strings the guitar is continuing to sound better, but the strings seem to sound just plain dull and the brown G string still sounded funny. I then changed to Hannabach 815 Light Tension. Much clearer more open tone with better sustain on the trebles. The plastic tone on the G string is gone and the "hollow" sound is also gone. This set is a bit quieter seeming than the D'Addario EJ46C but has much better string to string balance. The tension is a bit too light and floppy for my tastes, so I will keep on experimenting. One of the complicating factors is that the guitar will continue to evolve in tone for some time to come and it is a bit hard to be sure what is change in string and what is change in guitar. But, dang it, this is kind of fun!

Thanks to you Supperconductor I feel a set of Savarez 500 ARJ in my future.
Teodoro Perez "Madrid" SP/IN

Supperconductor

Postby Supperconductor » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:24 am

Thanks for the info, Harry. I think I might try the Hannabach 815 in medium tension after this.
- Kam

2012 Hippner Hauser SP/IR
[Savarez Corum 500R Normal Basses
La Bella RN-L Rectified Nylon Light Trebles]

sgreen

Postby sgreen » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:00 pm

The best strings for this guitar I found so far are D'Addario EJ46C (composites) hard tension. They last the longest, and give consistently balanced sound and intonation. The Augustines imperial blue are also not bad (I have them now), especially the feel on the trebles, the bases are excellent, but they do stretch a bit. La bella 2001 medium hard were also good. I never liked Savarez for some reason, I removed the original set on the second day and never put them back on any of my guitars again.

- sgreen

Rob Graft

Postby Rob Graft » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:32 am

I have the same guitar and I think the D'ADDARIOS EJ45LP normal tension lightly polished strings sound great and they settle in fast and even on the guitar.

harryf

Postby harryf » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:53 pm

I have had my spruce C10 for two months now. The sound is continuing to improve as the guitar gradually gets broken in. In my post above, I mentioned the most recent strings I put on it were the Hannabach 815LT. They have been on for a month and continued to sound good the whole time. Clear and even sounding. I Just put on a set of La Bella 2001 Hard tension. I think I like the feel of the hard tension on my right hand. My left hand remains to be seen. These strings sound noticeably different than the Hannabachs. They are less bright, more mellow, but have a nice rich sound. Nicely balanced bass through treble. The most noticeable difference is the volume. With these strings on, the guitar is much louder. I mean, way louder. All along I have been comparing the C10 to my old guitar. It has always seemed a bit louder than the C10. Now the C10 is very noticeably the louder of the two. The tuning seems to be less fussy with these strings also.

I intend to keep experimenting. I suppose I should get a bit more scientific in my comparisons and quit jumping from brand to brand before I determine what tension works best on the C10. But for now I think I would say the C10 likes high tension best. I also should probably look at the D'Addario Pro Arte again and see if the reason they sounded dull to me was because the guitar was brand-new.

I intend to keep reporting because I find this an interesting exercise and I hope to continue to hear what others of you have experienced.

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Postby Ramon Amira » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:43 pm

For the information of all owners and prospective buyers of Cordoba guitars -

All Cordoba guitars come equipped with Savarez Corum basses, and Savarez New Crystal trebles. Cordoba guitars are fine guitars, but just about everyone who buys a Cordoba guitar complains about unevenness of sound, and weak trebles.

The problem is that the Savarez New Crystal trebles are terrible strings. They are weak and thin, and hopeless. Conversely, the Savarez Corum basses are excellent - robust and full bodied. So you can imagine that it creates a dreadful match in a relative sense, and of course you have poor trebles in an absolute sense.

My recommendation for buyers of Cordoba guitars is to leave the basses on, and just change the trebles to your favorite treble strings. I would suggest trying La Bella 2001 Classical, or 2001 Flamenco. I have found the 2001 Flamenco to be really good, bright but not brash.

For those who like or might want to try rectified nylon, I would suggest trying La Bella Rectified Nylon trebles. SBM sells them separately.

Ramon
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

Bryanm

Postby Bryanm » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:37 am

Hmm.. I don't know that I know enough to agree with the "terrible" evaluation, but I will agree that the upper strings on these guitars don't match the quality of the lower ones. But then again, most "new" cars could use an oil change and the tires that come with them are crap. Maybe the first thing you should do when bringing home a new CG is change the strings....
Ramirez 125 Años
Cordoba C9
And a whole bunch of brass instruments

harryf

Postby harryf » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:41 pm

An update for my search for strings for my spruce Cordoba C10.

Two weeks after my previous post, I change from the La Bella 2001 HT to Savarez Cristal/Corum HT set (500CJ). The Savarez sounded clearer than the La Bella and had more sustain for all strings. The Corum basses were great. Rich and clear sounding. The Cristal trebles were slightly quieter that the La Bella and were less well balanced. The E string in particular was weak sounding. Also the G string was real tubby and boingy in comparison. I would also have to say that they were a bit fussier to get in tune than the La Bella.

After another couple of weeks I changed the Trebles back to a new set of the La Bella 2001, leaving the Corum basses on. I got the exact same impression as I had before with the La Bella: more powerful, better volume balance (especially with the E string), better sounding G string, less fussy to get in tune, mellower tone and less sustain. This combination had better overall clarity than when I had the full set of La Bella on. The Corum basses seem to create less overall "muddiness".

My search continues. I hope to find a set with trebles that have all the attributes of the La Bella 2001 but with a clearer more sparkly tone and more sustain, and basses that sound as good as the Corum.

For what it's worth, my right hand really likes high tension and my left hand no longer notices the difference. So I will continue with high tension for awhile. I do want to try the medium tension La Bella at some point though to see if I get the same positive impression but with more clarity and sustain. I also may want to revisit the Hannabach strings but in HT.

Renee's Dad

Postby Renee's Dad » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:12 pm

As someone about to purchase a Cordoba C10 (in spruce, I think), I found this 4-year old thread an interesting read. Are any of you still playing C10s, and if so what strings or string sets did you finally settle on? I'm just getting back into guitar after a near 20-year absence, and the huge number and variety of strings available these days has really set me back.
Box, wooden, six strings each.

Cordoba C10 SP/IN (2016)
Yamaha CG-170S (mid-80s, owned since '88)

pasigenyo

Postby pasigenyo » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:55 pm

I agree with most of what was said here, especially the OP's preference for the 500 ARJ set.
Without being aware of this thread, I recently went through the same string experimentation with Corum trebles, La Bella and D'Addario sets, and finally settled on the Savarez Alliance trebles that came with the 500 ARJ set. These trebles provide a very loud, but balanced counterpart to the powerful Corum bass strings. The Corum trebles, as stated earlier, are weak and could not drive the soundboard of my C10 SP/IN.

Renee's Dad

Postby Renee's Dad » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:47 pm

pasigenyo wrote:I agree with most of what was said here, especially the OP's preference for the 500 ARJ set.
Without being aware of this thread, I recently went through the same string experimentation with Corum trebles, La Bella and D'Addario sets, and finally settled on the Savarez Alliance trebles that came with the 500 ARJ set. These trebles provide a very loud, but balanced counterpart to the powerful Corum bass strings. The Corum trebles, as stated earlier, are weak and could not drive the soundboard of my C10 SP/IN.

Well, I will be doing my first string change on the C10 this weekend, and here are my available options:

Savarez 500PR Rectified Trebles/Corum Basses NT
    Savarez 500CR New Cristal/Corum NT
    Savarez 500AR Alliance/Corum NT
    Savarez 520R Rectified Trebles/Red Basses HT
    Hannabach Silver Special 815MT
I wish now I had ordered a set of the Savarez 500ARJ, based on the comments above - it'll take me 8 months or more to get through all these. I'll probably go with the Hannabachs first, but whatever set I go with I'm hoping for improved trebles over what came on the guitar.
Box, wooden, six strings each.

Cordoba C10 SP/IN (2016)
Yamaha CG-170S (mid-80s, owned since '88)

astro64

Postby astro64 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:10 am

Renee's Dad wrote:
pasigenyo wrote:I agree with most of what was said here, especially the OP's preference for the 500 ARJ set.

Well, I will be doing my first string change on the C10 this weekend, and here are my available options:

Savarez 500PR Rectified Trebles/Corum Basses NT
    Savarez 500CR New Cristal/Corum NT
    Savarez 500AR Alliance/Corum NT
    Savarez 520R Rectified Trebles/Red Basses HT
    Hannabach Silver Special 815MT
I wish now I had ordered a set of the Savarez 500ARJ, based on the comments above - it'll take me 8 months or more to get through all these. I'll probably go with the Hannabachs first, but whatever set I go with I'm hoping for improved trebles over what came on the guitar.

One mistake to avoid is to replace new strings too soon as you test various combinations. The Cristals are better I think than some people here given them credit for, they seem to need several days to settle and sound better after a week. At first they can sound with short sustain and a bit "pinging", hard to describe. The tone gets more solid and with some better sustain after a while. They are brighter than some nylons but I don't find them as piercing bright as you may find the Alliance set to be.

pasigenyo

Postby pasigenyo » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:08 pm

"One mistake to avoid is to replace new strings too soon as you test various combinations."

That's correct. i didn't change the strings every fortnight. I knew to give them time to settle in and produce the tone they were meant to. All I can say is I would rather change my guitar than keep changing my strings or get stuck with one set of strings that work. My C10, even after a year of owning and breaking it in, still sounds tubby and is very sensitive to slight weather/temperature changes. Perhaps give it a few more years and it will finally sound better, but for now, relying on what strings to use just to produce a good sound is pretty much a red flag to potential owners that there are better guitars out there.
Last edited by pasigenyo on Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

acmost9

Postby acmost9 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:11 am

astro64 wrote:[The Cristals are better I think than some people here given them credit for, they seem to need several days to settle and sound better after a week. At first they can sound with short sustain and a bit "pinging", hard to describe. The tone gets more solid and with some better sustain after a while. They are brighter than some nylons but I don't find them as piercing bright as you may find the Alliance set to be.

Yeah, I liked them pretty well on my C10 Spruce. That guitar is now gone but on my C10 Cedar, I enjoyed the complete Augustine Red Imperial Set and then I switched back to EJ45s and added the Augustine Classic Black Trebles on top…been playing that a bunch & those trebles sound sweet, so I guess I'll finally try a complete set of Augustine Imperial Blacks on that guitar & see how the higher tension trebles work out with the lower tension basses. Tension being relative to each manufacturer that is.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”