Strings for Cordoba C10 SP/IN

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
Renee's Dad

Re: Strings for Cordoba C10 SP/IN

Post by Renee's Dad » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:14 pm

pasigenyo wrote:. . . Perhaps give it a few more years and it will finally sound better, but for now, relying on what strings to use just to produce a good sound is pretty much a red flag to potential owners that there are better guitars out there.

My impression from this thread is that the search is for which strings generally sound BEST on the C10, not a search for which strings are required to make it sound GOOD. I can't imagine this guitar sounding bad with even the crappiest of strings, whatever those are.

I went with the medium-tension Hannabachs for my first string change (8 weeks from purchase), and to be honest, haven't found much of a difference in sound, except perhaps for the basses being less pronounced. It's only been two days, so we'll see. They are certainly good enough, but I find them to be of a lower tension than I had anticipated, based on comments above. I'm predicting I will show a preference for higher tension strings on my "re-start" of guitar - such an excellent tactile experience, this instrument.
Box, wooden, six strings each.

Cordoba C10 SP/IN (2016)
Yamaha CG-170S (mid-80s, owned since '88)

scottszone

Post by scottszone » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:03 pm

Another important thing to keep in mind is right hand technique and nail quality has a huge impact on string balance and volume. I have found many beginner/intermediate players have a heavy thumb and use little or no damping. This causes a bass heavy sound with ringing overtones that overpower the trebles. Scratchy thin nails can also cause a weak treble tone.

I've had more than one student blame technical issues and improper tone production on their strings and/or guitar.

The Savarez Cristal Corum 500CJ tends to be a very balanced sparkly yet warm and loud set of strings. The trebles have no problem ringing louder and longer than the basses with a balanced right hand. They take about 3 -5 days to settle in and produce the loud singing fat tone they are know for and last about 2 - 3 months depending on playing time.

No less than Fredric Zigante uses the 500CJ exclusively and I'm pretty sure he could use any strings he wanted to. Might be worth giving them another listen.
Last edited by scottszone on Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
2006 Manuel Contreras II C-5 Cedar/IRW
2016 Cordoba C7-CE Cedar/IRW
2006 Cordoba GK Studio Spruce/Cypress

pasigenyo

Post by pasigenyo » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:21 pm

Renee's Dad wrote: My impression from this thread is that the search is for which strings generally sound BEST on the C10, not a search for which strings are required to make it sound GOOD. I can't imagine this guitar sounding bad with even the crappiest of strings, whatever those are.
What's the difference? :? What else can this thread be about if you can just string up the C10 with anything and it will still sound GOOD? Sound production is influenced by the technique that you use (and your skill level) as well as the tool itself (i.e. the guitar). I'm not sure if you have a problem with my stern warning to future owners, but you can sing praises about your guitar as much as I want to mention truthful experiences about mine. I also spent a couple of sentences explaining what my issues are about my guitar and how I was able to overcome some of those with the right strings. So yes, my C10 sounds BAD with any other strings other than the set I settled with. That's my story and I'm sticking to it :)

Renee's Dad

Post by Renee's Dad » Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:03 am

pasigenyo wrote:. . . So yes, my C10 sounds BAD with any other strings other than the set I settled with. That's my story and I'm sticking to it :)
I now believe you should, in fact, stick to it. We have to realize we are all playing different C10s, and so our generalizations can only go so far. But the Hannabachs, after less than a week on, are beginning to sound b..., b... B.. -

Less good.

And the 5th string is beginning to unwind at the bridge - after 5 days?

Will soon be going back to Savarez.

Cordoba C10 SP/IN (2016)

Renee's Dad

Post by Renee's Dad » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:29 pm

I'm still running through a variety of strings on my C10, changing every 6 weeks or so. At this point I prefer the Savarez 520R "red cards" - they just feel "right" to me. They are listed as Rectified Nylon trebles paired with Traditional Wound basses. I'm currently playing another Savarez string, but immediately found myself missing the rectified trebles, which was a surprise. I'm considering trying the "yellow card" 520J next, which should be a true high tension string.

Cordoba C10 SP/IN (2016)

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”