Jose Ramirez strings

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
Ramon Amira
Teacher

Jose Ramirez strings

Post by Ramon Amira » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:02 am

For anyone still experimenting with strings, I would recommend trying Jose Ramirez strings. I've been putting them on used guitars that I sell, and every time I put them on any guitar – doesn't seem to matter if it's luthier or fairly low end factory – I find myself being very impressed with them.

The basses have a certain kind of full bodied sound that is different from anything I have heard. Trebles warm and bright, no metallic. Basses and trebles seem perfectly matched to each other.

As always, no strings are for everybody, but I think they're worth at least one try. Fifteen dollars – full set. High and Medium Tension. I prefer the medium. If anyone tries them, please give us some feedback.

Ramon
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

Vlad Kosulin

Re: Jose Ramirez strings

Post by Vlad Kosulin » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:24 pm

They are not cheap. I am curious as to how much of the price is for strings, and how much is for the name...
And the manufacturer is not disclosed, I guess, right?
Last edited by Vlad Kosulin on Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Vlad
(still testing various strings with 2006 Sebastian Stenzel and Olinda OC-300)

Renlab

Post by Renlab » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:54 pm

I have hard tension on my Ramirez anos 125. very happy with them. I think SBM sells them for 14 dollars or so.

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Post by Ramon Amira » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:59 pm

Vlad Kosulin wrote:They are not cheap. I am curious as to how much of the price is for strings, and how much is for name...
And the manufacturer is not disclosed, I guess, right?
I meant to add that they are not cheap, but the price obviously speaks for itself. But there are far more expensive strings on the market that I have tried that I feel were not as good.

As for the "name," we know Amalia is not making them herself – naturally they're made for Ramirez. And my first thought when I heard about them was probably like most - "just some more strings with a big name attached to them."

That was until I played them. The basses are fantastic – a deep, rich, shimmering sound that goes through you. (that's what Ramirez told me to say when they sent me those hundred free sets). :D Seriously though, you can't describe the sound of strings verbally – you just have to play them. I'm very happy with the trebles as well.

As I said, there will always be a difference of opinion, so I can only offer mine. For anyone who is dissatisfied with modern strings, I think it's at least worth one try.

Ramon
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

maxixe

Post by maxixe » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:48 am

I had heard from a few people that they are D'Addario made .... don't know if that is true but they do make ALOT of strings for ALOT of companies.

Pat Patterson

Post by Pat Patterson » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:45 pm

Thanks for this recommendation Ramon. I put a set on my Ruck cedar top one week ago and WOW. They stabilized very quickly, much faster than my normal J45s do. They seem to be sort of neutral sounding but with a rich quality I've not seen in any other string. The intonation is dead on, just like J45s. The treble strings are what really impress me. They remind me of Hannabachs a lot, but better. On the Ruck it's hard to tell much difference in bass strings, but I think these are a little mellower than the J45s. The trebles and basses work well together just like you said. I'm not really very good at analying the sound of different strings, I just know if I like them or not. I really love these.

Thanks again
Pat

rounie

Post by rounie » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:14 am

Hi,

I would like to try the Jose Ramirez strings-could you let me know what tension in Ramirez strings would be equal to tension of EJ46 of Daddario?

These would be for my Cedar/Indian Howell....
Let Music Unite All............
Richard Howell No.408 Cedar/Indian-2007

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Post by Ramon Amira » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:33 pm

I'm not sure, but Ramirez strings only come in medium and high tension.

Ramon

Rick-in-Annapolis

Post by Rick-in-Annapolis » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:11 pm

Prominent Critic wrote:I'm not sure, but Ramirez strings only come in medium and high tension.

Ramon

Unfortunately, medium and high seem to be relative terms that mean different things to different manufacturers. We
definitely need a chart that compares the tensions of stings from different manufacturers.

Winterdune

Post by Winterdune » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:41 pm

Tom

Post by Tom » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:33 pm

Do not under estimate this type of luthier branded strings. If you like good sustain and bright Spanish tone, try Bernabe strings. But there are not cheap either.

Moderato

Post by Moderato » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:10 am

I never gave Ramirez strings much thought, I myself figured they were just strings with a "name" on them but your review has got my curiosity. I'll order a set next time I needs strings, thanks!
03 Ramirez 1a CD/BR
06 Baroque Lute - 13 Course w/Bass Rider

soundknight21

Post by soundknight21 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:31 am

I found them un reliable, inconsistent and nasty. They damaged easily via my nails and I took them off 1 hour later.

Sent from my MotoA953 using Tapatalk

soundknight21

Post by soundknight21 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:34 am

Rick-in-Annapolis wrote:
Prominent Critic wrote:I'm not sure, but Ramirez strings only come in medium and high tension.

Ramon

Unfortunately, medium and high seem to be relative terms that mean different things to different manufacturers. We
definitely need a chart that compares the tensions of stings from different manufacturers.
Or we could demand that they make all strings consistently measured under 1 system of tension. Let's start a petition. D addario being the biggest brand would likely help.

Sent from my MotoA953 using Tapatalk

Renlab

Post by Renlab » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:58 pm

Goes to show you.
I love my Ramirez hard tension strings on my Ramirez anos 125.
Just ordered a second set.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”