Jose Ramirez strings

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
FlamencoFinn

Re: Jose Ramirez strings

Post by FlamencoFinn » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:12 am

Hi there,
I am new around these forums but I just put a set of Jose Ramirez Hard Tension strings on to my Alhambra 9P Cutaway and they sound fantastic. Now my action is set to 4 mm on the Low E and 3.3 mm on the High E. But on that set up they sound fantastic. Now I must say I just put them on about 2 hours ago but so far they are very good. Lets see how long they last. I am a subway musician so I play quite a lot and for extended hours. :-)
Best regards to all,
Mark

George Crocket

Post by George Crocket » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:06 am

Hi Mark. Welcome to the forum. Could you please tell us a lttle more about yourself here.
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

FlamencoFinn

Post by FlamencoFinn » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:44 pm

Hello George :-) I just posted :-)

jhapgood

Post by jhapgood » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:12 pm

Hi Mark,

For additional comments on the new Ramirez strings make sure you check out this thread, if you haven't already.

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=86772

Kind Regards,

Joe
2008 Jose Ramirez 2NE
"So Much Music, So Little Time."

FlamencoFinn

Post by FlamencoFinn » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:18 pm

Awesome and thanks Joe! I will check it out....

Thanagan

Post by Thanagan » Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:01 pm

Hi All,

I was looking to get my hands on some Ramirez strings but I can't seem to find any being sold in the UK / Europe. I'm currently in the US so could have them delivered by SBM or GSI but I'm wondering whether the price would be better in Europe. Unless of course JR strings are produced in the US under a private label agreement.

Edit: I actually found them here: http://www.classicalguitar.co.uk/online ... rings.html. The price doesn't seem too attractive so it's better for me to get them in the US. Still, any suggestions welcome. Thanks!
Jose Ramirez 1a, Cedar (1976)
Juan Hernandez Profesor, Cedar (2013)
Yamaha SLG130nw

es335

Post by es335 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:39 pm

The biggest online store in Germany sells their HT sets for 16.90€ and ships to UK, of course!
No real bargain but at least another source in the EU!

MessyTendon

Post by MessyTendon » Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:44 am

It's a big fat placebo. The strings are obviously a re-branded product.

Why can't Ramirez disclose their relationship with the manufacture? I men the Romero's have no problem endorsing Labella...

What's up with Ramirez? Obfuscation marketing at it's finest.

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:15 pm

MessyTendon wrote:It's a big fat placebo. The strings are obviously a re-branded product.

Why can't Ramirez disclose their relationship with the manufacture? I men the Romero's have no problem endorsing Labella...

What's up with Ramirez? Obfuscation marketing at it's finest.
It depends on what you mean by a rebranded product.
Are you suggesting they are just the same as another set of strings in different packaging? How do you know that the strings are not manufactured to Ramirez specifications? OEM is very common in most consumer products, this does not mean different brands do not bring different products to market.

Cheers
Peter

David Norton

Post by David Norton » Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:35 pm

Messy, why the anger and outrage at branding? Are you expecting a Geppetto sort of operation where highly skilled individual artisan fifth generation stringmakers, employed directly at the Ramirez atelier, sit in candle-lit rooms while hand winding the strings?
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

Thanagan

Post by Thanagan » Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:53 pm

es335 wrote:The biggest online store in Germany sells their HT sets for 16.90€ and ships to UK, of course!
Yes T h o m a n n sells them so many thanks for the suggestion! I contacted Ramirez store in Madrid and they suggested reaching out to their distributor in the UK (Anglo Spanish Guitar Company) or buying directly from Guitar From Spain website. Guitar from Spain sells these strings for €13.22 which is a better price than in the US but the shipping fee is quite hefty.
Yamaha SLG130nw

es335

Post by es335 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:50 pm

Thanagan wrote:
es335 wrote:The biggest online store in Germany sells their HT sets for 16.90€ and ships to UK, of course!
Yes T h o m a n n sells them so many thanks for the suggestion! I contacted Ramirez store in Madrid and they suggested reaching out to their distributor in the UK (Anglo Spanish Guitar Company) or buying directly from Guitar From Spain website. Guitar from Spain sells these strings for €13.22 which is a better price than in the US but the shipping fee is quite hefty.
The Spanish price looks really good but be careful about the invoice conditions. VAT is usually excluded and charged for the price plus shipment fee!? There used to be more and cheaper sources for the old strings in the cardboard box which mostly diappeared with the introduction of the new Ramirez strings. Just wonder why? :?

Thanagan

Post by Thanagan » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:02 pm

es335 wrote: The Spanish price looks really good but be careful about the invoice conditions. VAT is usually excluded and charged for the price plus shipment fee!? There used to be more and cheaper sources for the old strings in the cardboard box which mostly diappeared with the introduction of the new Ramirez strings. Just wonder why? :?
Yes the price is good and on their "Terms and Conditions" page they state that prices online include VAT for European countries but don't include VAT for countries outside of the EU.
Yamaha SLG130nw

MessyTendon

Post by MessyTendon » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:30 pm

Peter the strings are said to be manufactured for Amalia Ramirez via on-line product literature. I really just want to know who makes them. I refuse to pay twice the price for nylon strings when the variety of quality strings is out there.

Whatever the strings are, I think 16$ for Nylon/Silver strings is kind of questionable when the leading manufactures offer the same materials and workmanship for half the price or less.

riffmeister

Post by riffmeister » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:08 pm

I've tried a couple of sets. They do seem unique.....a bit softer feel and a nice plump sound. Don't know who makes them but they do have a somewhat unique vibe about them. And of course, one is paying a premium because of the name on the package.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”