Jose Ramirez strings

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
User avatar
zupfgeiger
Posts: 1793
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:12 pm
Location: Wezembeek-Oppem, Belgium

Re: Jose Ramirez strings

Post by zupfgeiger » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:59 am

A week ago I put a set of these new Ramirez strings on my Tacchi Garcia - the basses are very nice, bright but not metallic - and they seem to last for a while whereas the trebles are clearly lacking sustainablilty. First string is worn out and rough above the soundhole after only one week of playing. Poor performance.
The secret of getting ahead is getting started (Mark Twain)

Tobias Braun, Santos copy, spruce/yew, 2017
Andrea Tacchi, Enrique Garcia model, Spruce/BRAZ, 2016
Giovanni Tacchi, Daniel Friederich copy, cedar/EIR, 2017
Alain Raifort, cedar/EIR, 2004

Laudiesdad69
Posts: 1172
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:16 pm

Re: Jose Ramirez strings

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:37 am

zupfgeiger wrote:A week ago I put a set of these new Ramirez strings on my Tacchi Garcia - the basses are very nice, bright but not metallic - and they seem to last for a while whereas the trebles are clearly lacking sustainablilty. First string is worn out and rough above the soundhole after only one week of playing. Poor performance.
Are the trebles chewed up from playing them with nails? Does that mean the material is soft? I am going to try a set this weekend and see if they are worth it or not. Every time I change strings 8 buy two sets, in case I break one, then I can still judge them subjectively as a whole set. I will maybe wait until next weekend as the carbons I have on my 4NE aren't worn out yet (subject of another thread) and it's been two months.

User avatar
petermc61
Posts: 5943
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:11 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Jose Ramirez strings

Post by petermc61 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:22 am

Laudiesdad69 wrote:
zupfgeiger wrote:A week ago I put a set of these new Ramirez strings on my Tacchi Garcia - the basses are very nice, bright but not metallic - and they seem to last for a while whereas the trebles are clearly lacking sustainablilty. First string is worn out and rough above the soundhole after only one week of playing. Poor performance.
Are the trebles chewed up from playing them with nails? Does that mean the material is soft? I am going to try a set this weekend and see if they are worth it or not. Every time I change strings 8 buy two sets, in case I break one, then I can still judge them subjectively as a whole set. I will maybe wait until next weekend as the carbons I have on my 4NE aren't worn out yet (subject of another thread) and it's been two months.
Treble strings, particular so nylon more than carbon in my experience, can get rough from nails. I expect 50-60 hours from a good set of nylon strings. Different players seem to damage strings at different rates and people are also more or less sensitive to the feel as the strings wear.

I doubt your carbon trebles will wear out between this weekend and next weekend. I suggest if you are not particularly happy with the sound of them you are better off trying new trebles earlier rather than later.

User avatar
zupfgeiger
Posts: 1793
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:12 pm
Location: Wezembeek-Oppem, Belgium

Re: Jose Ramirez strings

Post by zupfgeiger » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:23 pm

No my carbon knobloch b and g string last much longer. But some Nylon e are worn out quite quickly. Maybe also related to the fact that I have strong nails which are not very elastic.
The secret of getting ahead is getting started (Mark Twain)

Tobias Braun, Santos copy, spruce/yew, 2017
Andrea Tacchi, Enrique Garcia model, Spruce/BRAZ, 2016
Giovanni Tacchi, Daniel Friederich copy, cedar/EIR, 2017
Alain Raifort, cedar/EIR, 2004

astro64
Posts: 640
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:43 pm
Location: American Southwest

Re: Jose Ramirez strings

Post by astro64 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:55 pm

I agree with the comments: nylon trebles get scratched much faster than carbons, some brands/types seem to scratch more easily than others, the E string is the worst offender, also most noted in the sound because it carries the higher pitches. My basses last much longer than the first string. But it is very cheap to buy extra first strings and just replace that one rather than all six. This is one big advantage of online sellers like SBM, you can buy single strings, for many of the brands they sell.

Laudiesdad69
Posts: 1172
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:16 pm

Re: Jose Ramirez strings

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:31 pm

MessyTendon wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:30 pm
Peter the strings are said to be manufactured for Amalia Ramirez via on-line product literature. I really just want to know who makes them. I refuse to pay twice the price for nylon strings when the variety of quality strings is out there.

Whatever the strings are, I think 16$ for Nylon/Silver strings is kind of questionable when the leading manufactures offer the same materials and workmanship for half the price or less.
Hey Messy,
I know this is an old thread, but I thought I would let you know. I talked to someone at Ramirez, quite awhile ago. They did tell me that their strings are manufactured in Spain. So we know they aren't D'Addario. So, who do we know makes strings in Spain?

es335
Posts: 1210
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:12 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Jose Ramirez strings

Post by es335 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:53 pm

Royal Classics and Knobloch lately!

Laudiesdad69
Posts: 1172
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:16 pm

Re: Jose Ramirez strings

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:10 pm

es335 wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:53 pm
Royal Classics and Knobloch lately!
I will check to see if I can get either of those two brands as singles from SBM. I just want a nylon string for my first string.

Laudiesdad69
Posts: 1172
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:16 pm

Re: Jose Ramirez strings

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:22 am

Ramon Amira wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:02 am
For anyone still experimenting with strings, I would recommend trying Jose Ramirez strings. I've been putting them on used guitars that I sell, and every time I put them on any guitar – doesn't seem to matter if it's luthier or fairly low end factory – I find myself being very impressed with them.



Ramon
I agree, they make my $179.00 guitar sound pretty good.

User avatar
Michael.N.
Posts: 6480
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:28 am
Location: UK

Re: Jose Ramirez strings

Post by Michael.N. » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:21 am

Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:31 pm
MessyTendon wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:30 pm
Peter the strings are said to be manufactured for Amalia Ramirez via on-line product literature. I really just want to know who makes them. I refuse to pay twice the price for nylon strings when the variety of quality strings is out there.

Whatever the strings are, I think 16$ for Nylon/Silver strings is kind of questionable when the leading manufactures offer the same materials and workmanship for half the price or less.
Hey Messy,
I know this is an old thread, but I thought I would let you know. I talked to someone at Ramirez, quite awhile ago. They did tell me that their strings are manufactured in Spain. So we know they aren't D'Addario. So, who do we know makes strings in Spain?
RC or Royalclassics are one. I doubt that there are many string makers in Spain, maybe even just the one. They are based in Valencia which is the traditional centre of volume production guitars in Spain. It would make perfect sense for a string maker to set up within easy reach of volume guitar makers. Same thing happened with the traditional instrument makers of SE Germany. Historically all the well known makers were Italian, although Germany also has a string making tradition.
Historicalguitars.

User avatar
petermc61
Posts: 5943
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:11 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Jose Ramirez strings

Post by petermc61 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:18 am

Certainly not definitive, but the Ramirez sound more like, and wear more like, Knobloch than RC in my view.

es335
Posts: 1210
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:12 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Jose Ramirez strings

Post by es335 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:33 am

Knobloch was transferred early 2010s from Munich to Girona in Spain by Gilles Baudu!

Here is a video interview with Gilles Baudu and about Knobloch strings. Maybe our Spanish or Spanish speaking members can shed some light on their detailed discussion?

Maybe someone can contribute the date when Ramirez strings were launched to continue the puzzle! :wink:

Laudiesdad69
Posts: 1172
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:16 pm

Re: Jose Ramirez strings

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:55 am

I have no idea about the date, but I was looking at an old pack of cardboard box Ramirez strings. And, there is no date info on when they were made. However, on the box it says "made in EU". The new Ramirez strings say "made in Spain"

Oops, I wasn't fast enough . Thanks es335

es335
Posts: 1210
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:12 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Jose Ramirez strings

Post by es335 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:36 pm

That’s interesting anyway due to relocation of Knobloch.

The adjustments of the string parameters and the issue of the new series about 2012 are further indicators supporting these suspicions.

BTW Gilles Baudu started working at Knobloch in Germany in 2009! :wink:

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”