Jose Ramirez strings

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
zupfgeiger

Re: Jose Ramirez strings

Post by zupfgeiger » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:59 am

A week ago I put a set of these new Ramirez strings on my Tacchi Garcia - the basses are very nice, bright but not metallic - and they seem to last for a while whereas the trebles are clearly lacking sustainablilty. First string is worn out and rough above the soundhole after only one week of playing. Poor performance.
The secret of getting ahead is getting started (Mark Twain)

Tobias Braun, Santos copy, spruce/yew, 2017
Andrea Tacchi, Enrique Garcia model, Spruce/BRAZ, 2016
Giovanni Tacchi, Daniel Friederich copy, cedar/EIR, 2017
Alain Raifort, cedar/EIR, 2004

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:37 am

zupfgeiger wrote:A week ago I put a set of these new Ramirez strings on my Tacchi Garcia - the basses are very nice, bright but not metallic - and they seem to last for a while whereas the trebles are clearly lacking sustainablilty. First string is worn out and rough above the soundhole after only one week of playing. Poor performance.
Are the trebles chewed up from playing them with nails? Does that mean the material is soft? I am going to try a set this weekend and see if they are worth it or not. Every time I change strings 8 buy two sets, in case I break one, then I can still judge them subjectively as a whole set. I will maybe wait until next weekend as the carbons I have on my 4NE aren't worn out yet (subject of another thread) and it's been two months.

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:22 am

Laudiesdad69 wrote:
zupfgeiger wrote:A week ago I put a set of these new Ramirez strings on my Tacchi Garcia - the basses are very nice, bright but not metallic - and they seem to last for a while whereas the trebles are clearly lacking sustainablilty. First string is worn out and rough above the soundhole after only one week of playing. Poor performance.
Are the trebles chewed up from playing them with nails? Does that mean the material is soft? I am going to try a set this weekend and see if they are worth it or not. Every time I change strings 8 buy two sets, in case I break one, then I can still judge them subjectively as a whole set. I will maybe wait until next weekend as the carbons I have on my 4NE aren't worn out yet (subject of another thread) and it's been two months.
Treble strings, particular so nylon more than carbon in my experience, can get rough from nails. I expect 50-60 hours from a good set of nylon strings. Different players seem to damage strings at different rates and people are also more or less sensitive to the feel as the strings wear.

I doubt your carbon trebles will wear out between this weekend and next weekend. I suggest if you are not particularly happy with the sound of them you are better off trying new trebles earlier rather than later.

zupfgeiger

Post by zupfgeiger » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:23 pm

No my carbon knobloch b and g string last much longer. But some Nylon e are worn out quite quickly. Maybe also related to the fact that I have strong nails which are not very elastic.
The secret of getting ahead is getting started (Mark Twain)

Tobias Braun, Santos copy, spruce/yew, 2017
Andrea Tacchi, Enrique Garcia model, Spruce/BRAZ, 2016
Giovanni Tacchi, Daniel Friederich copy, cedar/EIR, 2017
Alain Raifort, cedar/EIR, 2004

astro64

Post by astro64 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:55 pm

I agree with the comments: nylon trebles get scratched much faster than carbons, some brands/types seem to scratch more easily than others, the E string is the worst offender, also most noted in the sound because it carries the higher pitches. My basses last much longer than the first string. But it is very cheap to buy extra first strings and just replace that one rather than all six. This is one big advantage of online sellers like SBM, you can buy single strings, for many of the brands they sell.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”