strings recommendation for cordoba c7 guitar cedar

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
alexistkd

strings recommendation for cordoba c7 guitar cedar

Postby alexistkd » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:52 pm

Hi i recently bought my guitar cordoba c7 sounds great, but i would like to change the strings, which one i could buy? im between D'Addario EJ45TT ProArte DynaCore Classical Guitar Strings, Titanium Trebles, Normal Tension and LaBella 2001M Classic Medium Tension ? i would like to know which one are better strings for my cordoba c7 cedar, or if there is any other option i could buy.

thank you very much.

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Re: strings recommendation for cordoba c7 guitar cedar

Postby Ramon Amira » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:59 pm

alexistkd wrote:Hi i recently bought my guitar cordoba c7 sounds great, but i would like to change the strings, which one i could buy? im between D'Addario EJ45TT ProArte DynaCore Classical Guitar Strings, Titanium Trebles, Normal Tension and LaBella 2001M Classic Medium Tension ? i would like to know which one are better strings for my cordoba c7 cedar, or if there is any other option i could buy.

thank you very much.

Really strange that you should ask that. Just a week ago I put new strings on a Cordoba C7 cedar. I almost fell off the chair. As I said on a different thread, it suddenly sounded like a Ramirez 1A. Well . . .

As you know, though, every guitar is individual, even same make and model, so there are no guarantees, but given that it was a C7 cedar, I would certainly recommend at least trying this combo once anyway and see what you think.

The strings I put on were Savarez Corum, high tension (I had them on hand, but I would recommend regular tension) and La Bella Rectified Nylon, low tension.

If you try this combo, please let us know what you think. Strings by Mail sells bass and treble sets separately if you wish.

Ramon
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Postby Ramon Amira » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:06 am

I just realized something. I had changed those strings because it was a used guitar that I took in on a trade-in. But if your guitar is a new C7, then it comes with Savarez Corum basses, high tension. The trebles are the dreadful Savarez New Cristal. So I would suggest this to start. Change the trebles to La Bella Rectified Nylon, low tension, and when you're ready for new basses, switch to Corum regular tension. But I think you will find just the treble change to bring a noticeable improvement.

Ramon
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

alexistkd

Postby alexistkd » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:09 am

you think is a good buy cordoba c7? :) you dont recommend me D'Addario or LaBella 2001M Classic Medium, when u say dreadfull means are not good the trebles?

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Postby Ramon Amira » Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:07 pm

Yes, the treble strings that come on the C7 are terrible. Try La Bella Rectified Nylon trebles, low tension, and you will hear a big difference. Later, when you change basses, I would suggest switching the Corum to Regular Tension.
Ramon

alexistkd

Postby alexistkd » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:58 am

sounds good, i will follow ur advice i just ordered La Bella Rectified Nylon trebles, low tension to test it out :)

alexistkd

Postby alexistkd » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:29 pm

the rectified trebles, have a like a brush sound when i touch it is that normal ? :)

massimo

Postby massimo » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:39 pm

I have a Cedar C7. I think my biggest problem with the original strings were the basses, which were too loud and at least with my picking style produced some artefact sounds. I recently changed to Savarez 540R normal tension which sounds warmer and volume more controllable.

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Postby Ramon Amira » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:17 pm

alexistkd wrote:the rectified trebles, have a like a brush sound when i touch it is that normal ? :)

I don't know about a brush "sound." They have a brush "feel," because the process that rectifies them leaves them with a textured finish, not smooth. So that's normal.

Ramon

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Postby Ramon Amira » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:22 pm

massimo wrote:I have a Cedar C7. I think my biggest problem with the original strings were the basses, which were too loud and at least with my picking style produced some artefact sounds. I recently changed to Savarez 540R normal tension which sounds warmer and volume more controllable.

I just don't know how bass strings can be "too loud." They can be not loud enough, and there's nothing you can do about it apart from forcing volume and getting an ugly sound. But too loud? The solution is very simple - stroke them more softly. Loud strings and/or a loud guitar gives you full control over your dynamic range.

Ramon

Supperconductor

Postby Supperconductor » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:04 am

I had a Cordoba C10 Spruce that was initially a bit biased towards the bass strings. After about a year of playing, it became much more balanced as the treble sounds opened up. If you guitar is new, I would expect its character to evolve over time. And as Ramon pointed out, your playing can adapt to the guitar as well.
- Kam

2012 Hippner Hauser SP/IR
[Savarez Corum 500R Normal Basses
La Bella RN-L Rectified Nylon Light Trebles]

Roaster42

Postby Roaster42 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:17 pm

Going to play a Cedar Top tomorrow afternoon.
Visiting family in NC and noticed a 'Need To Sell-Moving' ad on CL and thought
"For $200 how could I possibly go wrong'
Had not considered these before but the allure of price/quality is too attractive.
Any indicators to be looking at for these?
The student who is its current owner has played it 'a few times since getting it'
The case looks handy as well.
Coffee Roasting is like classical guitar, part technique, part art.
Without both the end result works, but never reaches what it could be.

Roaster42

Postby Roaster42 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:03 am

Well, I bought it.
Previous 'original' owner was a nice young lady from the NCSA (Or today it is the UNC SA).
$200 cash. New strings, not Savarez but nice.
Case was a nice touch and it is amazingly lighter than much of what I have played.
I have visions of using the backpack like straps walking through the city...but it will probably jsut make it easier getting to and from the car on weekends!
C7aEdit.jpg
C7bEdit.jpg
c7cEdit.jpg
C7dEdit.jpg

The dog did NOT come it, he was already part of the collection...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Coffee Roasting is like classical guitar, part technique, part art.
Without both the end result works, but never reaches what it could be.

joachim33

Postby joachim33 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:13 am

I assume you know this, but if not: this is not a good way to attach strings. Once you change them have a look on the web. There are many videos and pages explaining better or even poorer ways.

Congratulations. I hope you enjoy the guitar for a long time.

Golfgnome

Postby Golfgnome » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:53 pm

Congratulations on the purchase. I am very interested in the Cordoba C7 but I have not been able to try the cedar and spruce and do a comparison. I have read that the spruce has a brighter, more separated tone and is a little more distinctive in the trebles and the cedar is a bit warmer. I'd love to try them side by side.
Good luck!!!

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”