best strings for E tuning on guitalele?

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
User avatar
chelson
Posts: 482
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:21 pm
Location: Singapore

Re: best strings for E tuning on guitalele?

Post by chelson » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:39 pm

gilles T wrote: .... a set of normal tension savarez (red card, I presume), from E to B tuned to A, D, G, B, E plus....

Cheers,
Gilles
Hi Gilles,

From Space12's link, I got this 'Savarez 520R Rectified Trebles/Red Basses HT Guitar Strings'.

Wish to double confirm with you if this is the string that you refer as "red card"? Because I can't find anywhere that is stating as "red card" label.

Should it be High Tension or Normal Tension? I want to buy the exact one to repeat your experience. Strings not cheap too.

Thank you very much for sharing too. Truly appreciate it!
Chelson
Without heart and desire, talent is nothing.

User avatar
chelson
Posts: 482
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:21 pm
Location: Singapore

Re: best strings for E tuning on guitalele?

Post by chelson » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:37 pm

chelson wrote:
gilles T wrote: .... a set of normal tension savarez (red card, I presume), from E to B tuned to A, D, G, B, E plus....

Cheers,
Gilles
Hi Gilles,

From Space12's link, I got this 'Savarez 520R Rectified Trebles/Red Basses HT Guitar Strings'.

Wish to double confirm with you if this is the string that you refer as "red card"? Because I can't find anywhere that is stating as "red card" label.

Should it be High Tension or Normal Tension? I want to buy the exact one to repeat your experience. Strings not cheap too.

Thank you very much for sharing too. Truly appreciate it!
Chelson
Hi Gilles,

Please disregard my query. I have realised RED mean HT from the site.

Thank you.
Chelson
Without heart and desire, talent is nothing.

User avatar
CarlWestman
Posts: 575
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:36 pm
Location: Chattanooga, TN

Re: best strings for E tuning on guitalele?

Post by CarlWestman » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:41 am

still would love to hear some sound samples of the guitalele in standard tuning.

that there appear to be none leads me to suspect that there is something about it that is so disappointing that it's not worthwhile, and most people end up putting regular strings back on and tuning in A.

User avatar
chelson
Posts: 482
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:21 pm
Location: Singapore

Re: best strings for E tuning on guitalele?

Post by chelson » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:43 pm

CarlWestman wrote:still would love to hear some sound samples of the guitalele in standard tuning.

that there appear to be none leads me to suspect that there is something about it that is so disappointing that it's not worthwhile, and most people end up putting regular strings back on and tuning in A.
Haha, that sounds very challenging... but felt it meant well.

Hey, whoever have done it, please show this fellow some colour see see! Plug something! :D I want to know too. Hahaha!
Without heart and desire, talent is nothing.

User avatar
CarlWestman
Posts: 575
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:36 pm
Location: Chattanooga, TN

Re: best strings for E tuning on guitalele?

Post by CarlWestman » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:46 pm

chelson wrote:
CarlWestman wrote:still would love to hear some sound samples of the guitalele in standard tuning.

that there appear to be none leads me to suspect that there is something about it that is so disappointing that it's not worthwhile, and most people end up putting regular strings back on and tuning in A.
Haha, that sounds very challenging... but felt it meant well.

Hey, whoever have done it, please show this fellow some colour see see! Plug something! :D I want to know too. Hahaha!
Yes, it was meant in good will. Gilles T claims to have made the change and plans to keep it that way. I would love to hear a sound sample.

A youtube search of Guitalele eadgbe pulls up 4 potential videos for me. Two don't sound like standard tuning at all. A third, claims to be jazz:
https://youtu.be/LyOjg4steDY

a bizarre fourth video (namely because the player is wearing a wolf's head) has the player playing Stairway to Heaven using the stock strings just tuned down. Stairway is recognizable, but does not sound that good, probably since the strings are so slack. Player also states, "I admit I also make some misakes [sic] due to the werewolf mask on my head" :shock:

Then they go into several other tunes, only a couple of which I recognized.
https://youtu.be/2JUA6i15sto

So what I don't think I've heard yet is the Guitalele in standard tuning WITH very hard tension strings, such as those recommended by Gilles T. If they sound so good, I want to hear how good it can sound! Especially with classical guitar music - I don't anticipate practicing Welcome to the Jungle on it.

User avatar
amy3000
Posts: 244
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:02 pm
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota, USA

Re: best strings for E tuning on guitalele?

Post by amy3000 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:33 pm

I'm going to give this a try. I don't play my Yamaha guitalele a lot but had ankle surgery 3 weeks ago and was able to play it while essentially being confined to bed with my leg elevated for almost a week. I'm not so confined now but am intrigued now to try this.

ninja_cat

Re: best strings for E tuning on guitalele?

Post by ninja_cat » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:37 am

I would really like to hear some samples as well.

gilles T
Posts: 162
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:11 pm
Location: Paris, France

Re: best strings for E tuning on guitalele?

Post by gilles T » Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:16 pm

Hi dear fellows,

Forgive me for answering so late and, yes you're right, there must be some reason why this guy claiming he found Xanadu with his E-tuned little thing didn't post anything to prove his pretentions were right.
The reason is quite simple, albeit shameful : stagefright.
I'm not used to record my performances and, when I intend to do, too much errors restrain me to go further.
Plus : I don't have any YT account and all these things digital seem very beyond my skills. So, lazyness may also be part of the game...
So, I apologize and all I can say is : try for yourself. Changing a new set of strings on your guitalele is not a big deal and you'll be convinced — or not — in a much better way than just watching a poor performance with a poor sound on your computer. You'll be the judge.


That being said, I quite enjoy the challenge you gave me and I promise at least to try a decent sound and/or video performance in the weeks to come.
Stay tuned !

Cheers,
GT

JPedrosa

Re: best strings for E tuning on guitalele?

Post by JPedrosa » Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:52 am

Hi guys,

I have a question for gilles T.

I´m probably going to buy the hannabach high tension C string (or most likely 2 or 3 of them!) to use it as the E string on the guitalele, just as you suggested, but regarding the other strings, do you feel it´s absolutely necessary to get Savarez High tension with rectified nylons that you mentioned ??

Or can i get just a normal high tension set from my local music store? Would that also work? Or does the rectified nylon is playing a crucial role here??

(I´ll admit I don´t really know the diference between normal nylon strings and rectified nylon strings)

If you could give a little input, it would be great!

Thanks in advance

User avatar
CarlWestman
Posts: 575
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:36 pm
Location: Chattanooga, TN

Re: best strings for E tuning on guitalele?

Post by CarlWestman » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:08 pm

I know the feeling, so I empathize.

That said, I don't think any of us need you to play Asturias to judge the sound. If you know some chords, doing some strumming and arpeggios may suffice to give us an idea of the sound. Especially if you included the same motions with a regular classical in the same video or audio recording.

I can't speak for others but one reason I'm holding back from making the change is that the cost of specialized strings is, with tax and shipping, nearly 40% of the cost of the instrument itself. It's not some moderate increment in cost over normal strings - it's a big multiple of cost. Another reason is that I'd like to know how I'd like it before cutting into the nut to accommodate larger strings, if that proves necessary. The relative lack of YT videos with the guitalale performing pieces in standard tuning suggests to me that perhaps it is simply better suited to be an A-A instrument.

Perhaps at next string change I should simply move the old strings down a notch and see what I think. Then I can get into whether it's appealing enough to warrant spending bigger money on specialized strings to further perfect the sound.

gilles T
Posts: 162
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:11 pm
Location: Paris, France

Re: best strings for E tuning on guitalele?

Post by gilles T » Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:16 pm

Hello,
@JPedrosa : of course, any set of normal tension strings will do the job. I don't play the savarez any more and I'm quite satisfied with Hannabach. The rectifed nylon is just a matter of taste. I really loved the touch (maybe because I'm playing without nails) and then I just changed my mind.

@Carl Westman : One possible alternative is to try any set of strings you like from A to E and a super-high tension low E tuned to...E. Might be a little sloppy, but this solution is virtually costless, and you won't have to file anything, IMO.

All the best,
Gilles

User avatar
chelson
Posts: 482
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:21 pm
Location: Singapore

Re: best strings for E tuning on guitalele?

Post by chelson » Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:03 am

CarlWestman wrote:I know the feeling, so I empathize.

That said, I don't think any of us need you to play Asturias to judge the sound. If you know some chords, doing some strumming and arpeggios may suffice to give us an idea of the sound. Especially if you included the same motions with a regular classical in the same video or audio recording.

I can't speak for others but one reason I'm holding back from making the change is that the cost of specialized strings is, with tax and shipping, nearly 40% of the cost of the instrument itself. It's not some moderate increment in cost over normal strings - it's a big multiple of cost. Another reason is that I'd like to know how I'd like it before cutting into the nut to accommodate larger strings, if that proves necessary. The relative lack of YT videos with the guitalale performing pieces in standard tuning suggests to me that perhaps it is simply better suited to be an A-A instrument.

Perhaps at next string change I should simply move the old strings down a notch and see what I think. Then I can get into whether it's appealing enough to warrant spending bigger money on specialized strings to further perfect the sound.
The strings just arrived yesterday. Fitted them in quickly and recorded this simple tune with my old phone. Hope that it could sufficiently help to answer the request here.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ue6hp7b421ach ... d.m4a?dl=0

Please note that I don't have a quiet room. There were many clippings (sound saturation) because the phone mic distance was not set properly. Also in common, the guitalele has quite a poor intonation due to its build, and a higher tone voice than a normal guitar due to its tiny body. Be warn that with my lousy playing, it can be quite suffering to listen actually. Hence, please focus only on the effect created by the recommended strings for down tune purpose only.
Without heart and desire, talent is nothing.

User avatar
CarlWestman
Posts: 575
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:36 pm
Location: Chattanooga, TN

Re: best strings for E tuning on guitalele?

Post by CarlWestman » Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:00 pm

Thanks - but I'm getting "An audio error occurred" message from dropbox. Both with and without being signed in.

User avatar
chelson
Posts: 482
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:21 pm
Location: Singapore

Re: best strings for E tuning on guitalele?

Post by chelson » Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:11 pm

CarlWestman wrote:Thanks - but I'm getting "An audio error occurred" message from dropbox. Both with and without being signed in.
It's a .mpa format, perhaps your player don't support. I've just downloaded without login and played the whole thing, no problem.

Personally, I'm staying with this strings and tuning. No turning back.
Without heart and desire, talent is nothing.

JPedrosa

Re: best strings for E tuning on guitalele?

Post by JPedrosa » Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:24 am

Hi chelson,

In the first 4 seconds of your clip, is that a low D that I´m hearing??

It sounds fantastic!

Guess I´m gonna order the hannabach low C string for sure!

Thanks

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”