best strings for E tuning on guitalele?

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
chelson

Re: best strings for E tuning on guitalele?

Postby chelson » Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:12 am

JPedrosa wrote:Hi chelson,

In the first 4 seconds of your clip, is that a low D that I´m hearing??

It sounds fantastic!

Guess I´m gonna order the hannabach low C string for sure!

Thanks

Yes, low D. Purposely choose that piece for it. Not just 1st 4 seconds, but till the end.

Do note that the C string will not sit tightly into the original groove at the nut due to its larger diameter. But the groove is good enough to support it firmly in place with a tiny gap underneath, and it don't bother much when playing. So didn't alter the nut for it, which leave the reversible option there.

Same like ukulele, the tuning is rather sensitive. Especially for the metal wound strings, they can be quite jumpy to about +/-5c off. For me, the guitalele serve well for beating, touring, convenient, portable, for fun, memorizing a piece, quick for jamming in small space, or quick check when doing arrangement. Right tool for the right job. So precise pitch, sustain, tone qualities are all not important to me.

Advise to all who don't own a guitalele, please don't expect it to sound like a normal guitar and start to complain if otherwise. For those who have this cute fellow will definitely understand what I mean. (Just to manage some expectations here.) :mrgreen:
Without heart and desire, talent is nothing.

CarlWestman

Postby CarlWestman » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:29 am

It was a problem with Firefox ... tried with Internet Explorer and it's working.

I'm listening now. Very intriguing! Nice playing btw. I recognize the piece but can't name it.

So those are with the "Savarez 520R Rectified Trebles/Red Basses HT Guitar Strings" ? I just put a set in my cart at the river site.

chelson

Postby chelson » Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:09 pm

CarlWestman wrote:It was a problem with Firefox ... tried with Internet Explorer and it's working.

I'm listening now. Very intriguing! Nice playing btw. I recognize the piece but can't name it.

So those are with the "Savarez 520R Rectified Trebles/Red Basses HT Guitar Strings" ? I just put a set in my cart at the river site.

Exactly as GT's recommendation. But if the matt surface is the characteristic of Rectified Trebles, then personally I don't quite prefer the feel. Anyway, this is the 1st time I experience it, and have learned something new.

The tune is Bach Cello Suite 1 Prelude in D major.
Without heart and desire, talent is nothing.

CarlWestman

Postby CarlWestman » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:02 pm

Well, for what it's worth, I took the first step toward E tuning on my guitalele by, effectively, moving the strings down and adding an extra 6th string. Actually what I did was change strings on my 615/48 Cordoba and take the old, hard tension strings (pro arte D'Addario) , and put them on the guitalele, shifted over. So the B string became the A string, the G became E, and so forth.

While it is kind of nice to have the same note value, I must admit not liking the sound or feel. The sound is still very much that of a small instrument ... wonder why? :) ... and the tension feel isn't great. I'm not sure it's an improvement overall. I may like the A-A tuning of the guitalele better for guitar music than trying to turn it into an E-e guitar. (or is it e-E?) Anyway, no final decision yet but I was not immediately sold on this, and am skeptical that higher-end strings will make enough of a difference to change my mind.

gilles T

Postby gilles T » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:16 pm

Hello all,

For anyone who may still show some interest in this old thread, here are my latest adventures with altenrate stringing on a guitatlele.
After musing for a long while with hard tension, very hard tension, low B tuned to E, etc. I eventually realised I was all wrong with putting any nylon strings on my Gretsch. These little beasts seem to be really intended for carbon or composite strings, and I finally got the best result (regarding sound, feel and intonation) with a simple set of blue Savarez alliance/cantiga tuned to F#.

Through the years, I understood that each instrument, be it a cheap guitalele or an expensive spanish guitar, teaches you what is the best tension/pitch ratio. For my Gretsch guitalele, which is built like a tank, a tuning in A is far too high, a G tuning is still too stiff, and a F tuning is a little bit sloppy — but a F# tuning is just PERFECT, and really gorgeous : great sustain, great intonation, great sound.

It's good to learn so much from a so modest instrument !
GT

CarlWestman

Postby CarlWestman » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:02 pm

Interesting to know! Thanks for the follow-up.

I never did pony up for the composite string(s) suggested for standard tuning on my Guitalele - all I did was move them down and have one floppy E for bass. I did end up deciding that I liked the A-A tuning on that size instrument better than trying to force a full size guitar tuning on it. In other words, it sounds more true to itself as A-A. Perhaps it would sound even better as G-G, I don't know, but I'm content with things as they are.

Another way to put it is this: I'm not short of guitars tuned E-E. However, my Guitalele is the only guitar-like instrument I have tuned another way. That makes it different and fun to hear.

Glad you like your Gretsch. Those look beautiful, nice gig bag too.

Mimmo2us

Postby Mimmo2us » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:25 pm

well guys,
next month i will design a set for the guitalele in E, same of guitar.
the trebles will be done like the newest carbonblack ukulele strings (they are much more denser than Nylon or Nylgut) and the relate basses made different than the standard guitar basses.
all the best
Mimmo, Aquilastrings, Italy

gilles T

Postby gilles T » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:46 pm

Dear Mimmo,

Now, that's what I call good news ! Please be so kind as to let us know when they will be available to purchase.
Regards,
Gilles

CarlWestman

Postby CarlWestman » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:54 pm

When you are done, I would love to see a video showing the Guitalele using your string set - even better, if you can contrast it with the sound from the simple E-tuning method of moving the strings down and adding a new bass E.

sanktgoran

Postby sanktgoran » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:03 pm

Got the GL1 a few days ago and the Savarez + Hannabach strings delivered today. I've never strung a guitar before, and as I play it, it stays in tune for only a very short time before needing a small tightening. Is this because of the strings being newly added and like "settling" or did I just do a bad job stringing?

Otherwise I love it! This little fellow will be perfect to bring travelling etc. Many thanks to you guys for sharing your knowledge here :bravo:

George Crocket

Postby George Crocket » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:10 am

Hi sanktgoran. Welcome to the forum. We ask new members to introduce themselves, so could you please post a new message of introduction here.
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

Mimmo2us

Postby Mimmo2us » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:33 am

yes, I will do a short video playing myshelf it
the problem is that I am without nails. In any case it si sufficient to vive you, guys, an idea about the performances
see you soon
Mimmo

CarlWestman

Postby CarlWestman » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:08 pm

Not a problem at all. Many greats played - and play - without nails.

Mimmo2us

Postby Mimmo2us » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:27 am

here is the video with the new Guitalele E tuning strings just installed: what do you think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyYdY6- ... e=youtu.be

mimmo

CarlWestman

Postby CarlWestman » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:10 pm

Thank you!
While I appreciate your work on this, the video shows to me that the guitalele's body size presents inherent limitations for standard tuning. It sounds no different to me than simply moving the strings down. Then again, I have a tin ear, so I'm probably not the best judge of these things.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”