Knobloch strings

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
michals231

Knobloch strings

Postby michals231 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:48 pm

Any experience with Knobloch Strings?

instanes

Re: Knobloch strings

Postby instanes » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:05 am

Yes. I have experimented over the years with several string combinations and finally settled in using Knobloch Active carbons for the base strings and LaBella 2001 nylons for the trebles. Have been using this combo for about 3 years now I think. Once in a while I put on something different and with-in days take 'em off and go back to the Knobloch and LaBellas.

petermc61

Postby petermc61 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:22 am

Nice carbon G (best g string I have used). B and E ares sweeter than most carbons but still too bright for me. I have found the basses pretty good but still prefer some others (eg Cantiga and Pyramid Sterling Silver).

bacsidoan

Postby bacsidoan » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:57 am

petermc61 wrote:Nice carbon G (best g string I have used). B and E ares sweeter than most carbons but still too bright for me. I have found the basses pretty good but still prefer some others (eg Cantiga and Pyramid Sterling Silver).

You have not posted any reviews on their flagship model: Knobloch "Pure Sterling Silver" basses. And you proclaim yourself a string guru?

petermc61

Postby petermc61 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:18 am

bacsidoan wrote:
petermc61 wrote:Nice carbon G (best g string I have used). B and E ares sweeter than most carbons but still too bright for me. I have found the basses pretty good but still prefer some others (eg Cantiga and Pyramid Sterling Silver).

You have not posted any reviews on their flagship model: Knobloch "Pure Sterling Silver" basses. And you proclaim yourself a string guru?

Oh yes I have!!! It is true that I have not created a thread on them but there are liberal sprinklings through other threads about my love for them. They are a little more expensive than most but they last a long time and hence still represent value. And I LOVE their sound.

Peter
Non-guru on strings

James Stephens
Teacher

Postby James Stephens » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:33 am

Obviously string choice is really personal and I've tried a lot of strings that people loved that I couldn't stand. Having said that, I think Knobloch makes good quality strings. I've tried their carbon strings, regular nylon, and now their QZ nylon strings (all normal tension). I didn't like the carbon but I haven't really loved any carbon strings that I've tried. I also didn't like their older (non QZ) nylons but I like the basses in those sets a lot. They are expensive but last a long time. I've only had the QZ trebles on for a few days but so far I like them a lot better than their other trebles. IIRC, their other nylon strings are ground down (or seemed like it) leaving a somewhat rougher type of surface. QZ's are more like D'adarrio's or other 'modern' nylon strings which I prefer. I'll have to play on them a bit longer before I can say for sure what I think of them. I haven't tried the basses in the QZ set yet as I have Savarez Cantiga's on which I like but I hope their as good as the other Knobloch basses.
James

tom2977

Postby tom2977 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:38 pm

Just put a set of high tension carbon strings cx set. I have to say I am blown away with how powerful and yet balanced they are. The intonation is the best I have ever used. Yes the carbons are bright but I like that. The basses are really balanced.
I'll see how long they last. Going to try their nylon trebles next. I have given up on Ramirez strings that I have been using as the trebles scratch so easily.
I hope we can get a uk distributor soon.

Jacek A. Rochacki

Postby Jacek A. Rochacki » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:31 pm

I have been playing Knobloch Medium Tension model 300 KAN (all nylon) before I begun to use the Jose Ramirez all nylon medium tension strings. I find the sound of Knobloch very nice - warm, sweet, good intonation. And I agree that the Ramirez nylon trebles scratch so easily, but IMO the Ramirez strings sound really well.
Antonio Picado, model 60, 2015, Cedar/IRW. Scale 640 mm.
Kenny Hill, model Madrid, 2002, No. 2019, Cedar/IRW. Scale 650 mm.

James Stephens
Teacher

Postby James Stephens » Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:45 pm

In the end I like the new Q.Z. Nylon trebles in medium tension but I decided to put them on another guitar and try Hannabach 815 SLT trebles and think I've finally found what this guitar needed. It's a rather bright, 'forward' sounding guitar and certain strings seemed too bright. The Knobloch's were close but the Hannabach's have a very sweet sound to them on this guitar and I think the tension is right too. That seems to be a big part of it. I couldn't find any info on tension for the Knobloch strings. It'd be helpful to know.
James

James Stephens
Teacher

Postby James Stephens » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:16 pm

A small update: I've had the Q.Z. trebles on my older guitar for a while and tried them again today. They play in tune, and sound good-- pretty similar to something like D'addario Pro Arte' IMO. The medium tension strings feel pretty light-maybe a little too light for the guitar it's on (some buzzing here and there). I might try the high tension on these if I decide to get them again.*** Still haven't tried the Q.Z. basses so no comment there.

It's hard to really compare strings like this without making recordings. I may do that at some point for reference. Assuming my playing is going well (most important factor), I like most of the strings I've tried (lots!) with the exception of 'carbon' strings and rectified strings. Just not my thing.

****It seems I forgot how much lower the action is on the older guitar, so that's why they feel so light.
James

LaurenceMardon

Postby LaurenceMardon » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:29 am

The Knobloch sterling silver strings are unbelievably good ... they could be paired with anything ... and the carbon trebles have a beautiful base tone with a wide variety of colour. As James Stephens mentions, the basses are a little (!) more expensive, but are more than worth it. The sets are beautifully balanced (tho I peronally use HT basses with MHT trebles).

I also just noticed a couple of days ago that Knobloch has come out with a new bass/nylon treble combo. I'm sure they'll be worth trying.
Daryl Perry (free) copy of a Domingo Esteso. Spruce. Brazilian back with central maple strip.

BWV1079

Postby BWV1079 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:53 pm

I like their strings, especially their trebles, but they are just too expensive. Is the cost due to importing to the US or are they expensive in Germany/Europe, too?

James Stephens
Teacher

Postby James Stephens » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:55 pm

I've had the Q.Z. basses on for just a couple of days and unless my memory fails me they seem quite a bit brighter than the basses in their other sets that I've tried. Unfortunately, I think they're too 'zingy' for my taste. YMMV
James

ErikEngerd

Postby ErikEngerd » Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:06 pm

I really like the Knobloch strings. From all the carbon trebles I tried, the Knobloch's simply sound the best (most warm). Also, I have had string breakages in the trebles with other brands if you loosen them completely and bring them up to tension again. The double silver bass strings can wear out quickly if you loosen and retension them. I put on a new set a few weeks back and because I made a new saddle to get the intonation spot on for these strings, I had to loosen and retension the strings a few times. I try to avoid tuning to drop D and back too often because of this.

I am going to try the sterling silver ones soon. They are three times as expensive as the double silver but if they last 3 times as long and sound great then they are just as expensive over time and it means less time needed to change strings. I usually have the Knobloch double silver on for six to eight weeks, so if the sterling silvers last for 4-6 months I am satisfied.

tom2977

Postby tom2977 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:41 pm

I really like their carbon treble strings....really nice rounded sound. Quite comparable to the Savarez alliance carbons IMO (or on my guitar). So i use both dependent on my mood.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”