Knobloch strings

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
zupfgeiger

Re: Knobloch strings

Post by zupfgeiger » Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:22 pm

If Knobloch carbon trebles are the best on the market, because they are warmer and not as bright as other carbons, what is the point in using them at all? Nylon will do the job as well.
The secret of getting ahead is getting started (Mark Twain)

Tobias Braun, Santos copy, spruce/yew, 2017
Andrea Tacchi, Enrique Garcia model, Spruce/BRAZ, 2016
Giovanni Tacchi, Daniel Friederich copy, cedar/EIR, 2017
Alain Raifort, cedar/EIR, 2004

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:16 pm

zupfgeiger wrote:If Knobloch carbon trebles are the best on the market, because they are warmer and not as bright as other carbons, what is the point in using them at all? Nylon will do the job as well.
Because they are still brighter than nylon and feel like carbon. Just a little less pronounced than other carbons.

Cao Nguyen

Post by Cao Nguyen » Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:55 pm

Funny enough, the so-called carbon strings have less carbon than nylon by mass... One reason to use carbon strings is they are louder and have longer sustain.

I'm using Hannabach Goldin carbon strings. They are nowhere near bright on my spruce top. Sometimes I feel the sound is too sweet, like eating (hearing) too much sugar. They lack a bit of the warmness and intimacy of the nylon strings but are loud and powerful. I thought the Goldin are expensive until I look at the price of those Knobloch...

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:15 pm

Cao Nguyen wrote: I thought the Goldin are expensive until I look at the price of those Knobloch...
The Knobloch carbon trebles are about 2/3 the price of Goldin trebles at SBM. The only very expensive part of the Knobloch range are the Sterling Silver basses, combine the trebles with the double silver basses and you are still only about 2/3 the price of a full Goldin set.

Cao Nguyen

Post by Cao Nguyen » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:28 pm

petermc61 wrote:... 2/3 the price of a full Goldin set.
still 4 times higher than a good ol' D'addario EJ45/46 set :D

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:55 pm

Cao Nguyen wrote:
petermc61 wrote:... 2/3 the price of a full Goldin set.
still 4 times higher than a good ol' D'addario EJ45/46 set :D
And worth every penny!!! :wink:

Cao Nguyen

Post by Cao Nguyen » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:07 pm

Now I've read alot of positive reviews about those strings. Wanna try them even though I'm currently broke. When will the Goldin die???
And what's special about the Sterling Silver? How do they perform compared to the Double Silver?

I've heard good things about the Seaguar fishing lines as well. How do the Knobloch compare to them?

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:22 am

Cao

The double silver strings from Knobloch are very good. I have not tried their Sterling Silver as they are silly expensive. The Sterling Silver from Pyramid are exceptional and only a little bit more expensive than the Knobloch doubles. They are my first choice. I think both of them are well ahead of EJ45 et al. Interestingly, because the sterling silver seem to last (on my guitars) typically three times longer the overall running cost is not much more but with better sound for each and every hour.

The Pyramid Sterling Silver basses/Knobloch medium carbon trebles would be my choice if I wanted a carbon treble set. You can't buy the Pyramid as a bass only set so that would mean ditching the Pyramid trebles. Luckily the Pyramid trebles are not too far behind so a full Pyramid set is a pretty good option also.

bacsidoan

Post by bacsidoan » Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:05 am

petermc61 wrote:Cao

The double silver strings from Knobloch are very good. I have not tried their Sterling Silver as they are silly expensive. The Sterling Silver from Pyramid are exceptional and only a little bit more expensive than the Knobloch doubles. They are my first choice. I think both of them are well ahead of EJ45 et al. Interestingly, because the sterling silver seem to last (on my guitars) typically three times longer the overall running cost is not much more but with better sound for each and every hour.

The Pyramid Sterling Silver basses/Knobloch medium carbon trebles would be my choice if I wanted a carbon treble set. You can't buy the Pyramid as a bass only set so that would mean ditching the Pyramid trebles. Luckily the Pyramid trebles are not too far behind so a full Pyramid set is a pretty good option also.
Listen to the string guru. He knows what he's talking about. I have tried the Knoblock pure sterling silver strings. They are very similar to the Pyramids. The difference is a matter of taste not superiority.

Cao Nguyen

Post by Cao Nguyen » Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:37 am

Thank you string gurus. It seems I will have to get myself a new string set for X-mas.

Contreras

Post by Contreras » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:45 am

ErikEngerd wrote: I usually have the Knobloch double silver on for six to eight weeks, so if the sterling silvers last for 4-6 months I am satisfied.
Just a comment ... I have never had a bass set that was worth playing at 4 - 6 months.
Put down the bagpipes ...
... and no one gets hurt.

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:26 am

Contreras wrote:
ErikEngerd wrote: I usually have the Knobloch double silver on for six to eight weeks, so if the sterling silvers last for 4-6 months I am satisfied.
Just a comment ... I have never had a bass set that was worth playing at 4 - 6 months.
It depends how critical you are of the sound Erik, but I count on about 60-75 hours from the Pyramids. Most other strings I tend to change around the 25 hour mark.

Peter

es335

Post by es335 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:42 am

petermc61 wrote:.... You can't buy the Pyramid as a bass only set ...
... but you can buy them as individual strings and a German source is selling them for about 13€ per bass set, which is quite attractive IMHO. Just search for "classical strings"! :wink:

BTW they sell single Knobloch carbon trebles as well! :D

Just out of cusiosity I ordered their b string in MT, MHT and HT and was surprised to discover that all three strings had identical diameter!? :? But they are excellent carbon trebles at least for g and b ... probably even the best! :D

Cao Nguyen

Post by Cao Nguyen » Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:52 am

Hi Peter the String Guru,

I see on SMB I can get a Pyramid bass only set but only high tension. I kind of like high tension strings. Unfortunately I can't find detailed information for each strings. Have you got any experience with them?

es335,

13Eur is quiet attractive. I can't find the German source you mentioned. Can you be a little more specific or send me a pm?
Never mind, I got it, thank you :D

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:46 pm

Cao Nguyen wrote:Hi Peter the String Guru,

I see on SMB I can get a Pyramid bass only set but only high tension. I kind of like high tension strings. Unfortunately I can't find detailed information for each strings. Have you got any experience with them?
Cao

Yes, I see that unusual stocking thing at SBM. Try the German source recommended by es335.if you have no luck there then I would recommend buying a full medium tension set and a spare set of medium tension Knobloch carbons. Try the full Pyramid set for say 25-30 hours then substitute the Knobloch carbons and compare.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”