Knobloch strings

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
Jack Douglas
Posts: 1178
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:37 am
Location: Ashland, Va

Re: Knobloch strings

Post by Jack Douglas » Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:40 pm

Petermc61,
I've weighed in previously about Knobloch strings and like them and Pyramid Sterling Silver. And as Zupfgeiger says, 'why consider carbon as nylon will do the job as well. Personally, I've diverged from buying 'The Set' to choosing a bass set tension and then individual treble strings to complete the set up. Knobloch and Pyramid strings are favorited, but Now I need to shop for individual strings to get what I want. Now, consider that the traditional guitar normally has a thicker top and is generally heavier in construction and the 'modern' guitars are lighter and have thinner tops. In many ways like choosing a diesel or a gas engine automobile.
So, maybe an appropriate new discussion ought to be. 'String Choices for traditional and modern construction Guitars'. So, Petermc61, has this been posted for discussion previously. If not, please set up a posting and Let's have a discussion.
Always enjoy your string enthusiasm!
JD
Hauser III 2014!

User avatar
petermc61
Posts: 5943
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:11 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Knobloch strings

Post by petermc61 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:28 pm

Inmanjd wrote:Petermc61,
I've weighed in previously about Knobloch strings and like them and Pyramid Sterling Silver. And as Zupfgeiger says, 'why consider carbon as nylon will do the job as well. Personally, I've diverged from buying 'The Set' to choosing a bass set tension and then individual treble strings to complete the set up. Knobloch and Pyramid strings are favorited, but Now I need to shop for individual strings to get what I want. Now, consider that the traditional guitar normally has a thicker top and is generally heavier in construction and the 'modern' guitars are lighter and have thinner tops. In many ways like choosing a diesel or a gas engine automobile.
So, maybe an appropriate new discussion ought to be. 'String Choices for traditional and modern construction Guitars'. So, Petermc61, has this been posted for discussion previously. If not, please set up a posting and Let's have a discussion.
Always enjoy your string enthusiasm!
JD
Hi JD

You raise quite a few different points, and I thank you for noting my string enthusiasm. Its good to have a passion or two in life, even if there are so arcane as that. :roll: I am not sure there are strings for modern guitars and strings for traditional so I am unlikely to start a new thread on that, but I will respond in short here.

'Why consider carbon when nylon will do the job as well' - I disagree with my friend Zuppie's assertion: carbon and nylon do sound different and feel different. As a class of strings carbon are brighter, thinner and tend to sustain longer. They often lack the sweetness and tonal weight of a good nylon string presumably because of the different mix of overtones. Hence players tend to have a preference to either carbon or nylon depending on their guitar and playing technique. For my guitars I have a strong preference towards brighter, better sustaining nylon strings for b and e (such as the Mari 100p, but I also love the Aranjuez love tension nylon trebles just because of their tone and feel) with a carbon G (to reduce the tubbiness and give a smoother tonal transition between the d and b strings). Even for me, carbon have a place. As a general rule though I hate carbon b and e, and generally hate Alliance e strings even more so with an absolute scathing passion. [The exception, my Gutmeier Santos has an Alliance e and it works on that guitar. Go figure]

I also mix and match bass and treble sets, and often do different g strings. I have never yet gone to three different brands for the three treble strings not have a even used different brands for the bass strings (i.e. I always fit them as a set of three). Even for a string obsessive I have two many guitars and there are too many possible combinations of strings to try them all....

Modern vs traditional - I am not sure whether this is important (the type of string) of whether it is just picking the right tonal balance and tension. As a general rule I don't like modern guitars much either so don't have much experience there (only one of my guitars is a double top, a cedar/nomex/cedar, so my experience here is not vast).

Regards
Peter

Jack Douglas
Posts: 1178
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:37 am
Location: Ashland, Va

Re: Knobloch strings

Post by Jack Douglas » Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:04 am

Hi Peter,
Thank you for your kind and detailed reply. First of all I envy you in owning a Gutmeier Santos. I am new to the Gutmeir Santos arena, but after a very brief playing of a new, last polish had barely settled, Gutmeier Santos and was immediately seduced by the lightness of the guitar, quick response, and basses that I could literally feel in my body. It was installed with Carbon trebles and my understanding is that is the recommended string. Ross says his Santos is designed for use of carbon. After playing it and a double top by him I absolutely agree. The tone is very clear and sweet on both guitars with carbon trebles installed.
I own and play a Jean Noel Rohe and it is an entirely different instrument. I've experimented with a variety of strings on it and the Swiss Spruce Top with Brazilian Rosewood begs for nylon. While the Swiss Spruce is light in color it is in fact a dense wood and for my taste demands at least a medium hard to hard treble. I settled on a normal tension bass string which to my ear creates clarity in the trebles. Now that I've discovered that softer tension basses bring clarity to harder tension trebles I'll now branch out my search for the perfect set of trebles.
Knobloch, Pyramid, and Ramirez are currently my top choices. I will add Mari and Aranjuez per your suggestion. I could not agree more about the Alliance E, but the hard tension G and B are a winning team.
Oh, I do enjoy your various posts and appreciate the response to my inquiry.
Best,
Jack
Hauser III 2014!

Jack Douglas
Posts: 1178
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:37 am
Location: Ashland, Va

Re: Knobloch strings

Post by Jack Douglas » Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:42 pm

Hi Peter,
I intended to reply by PM but inadvertently posted my reply. My apology.
I enjoy all your posts. You have a great sense of humor and I learn a lot from your responses.
I may get a Gutmeier, that's may. I'm on a mission to find a cedar top that will compliment my Rohe and that's a hard act to follow. I'm very guilty of playing a single instrument and fear that one will gather dust. Rohe makes the occasional cedar topped guitar, but at my age his 8 year wait list isn't attractive.
And Frederich; not in my budget!
Again, thank you very much for you're kind reply.
Jack Douglas
Hauser III 2014!

APK
Posts: 75
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:45 pm

Re: Knobloch strings

Post by APK » Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:30 pm

"In the end I like the new Q.Z. Nylon trebles in medium tension but I decided to put them on another guitar and try Hannabach 815 SLT trebles and think I've finally found what this guitar needed. It's a rather bright, 'forward' sounding guitar and certain strings seemed too bright. The Knobloch's were close but the Hannabach's have a very sweet sound to them on this guitar and I think the tension is right too. That seems to be a big part of it. I couldn't find any info on tension for the Knobloch strings. It'd be helpful to know."

Hi James,

May I ask what guitar it is that you found to be a better match for the Hannabach 815 SLT trebles? I recently tried the Knobloch Actives QZ nylons on my Sakurai-Kohno Pro J and like them. But you have me wondering. I'd be very grateful for your input.

Best,
APK

James Stephens
Teacher
Posts: 393
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:31 pm
Location: Overland Park, KS

Re: Knobloch strings

Post by James Stephens » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:13 pm

The guitar is a Hauser copy made by a luthier in Houston named Michael Surrency. It has a spruce top and camatillo rosewood back and sides. As I recall, I only preferred the Hannabach trebles a bit more. It was the QZ basses that were mainly a problem for me. Of course this is all just personal preference, but I thought they were too bright. I recently put some D'addario ej46 trebles on my other Surrencey guitar, a spruce\cocobolo Rodriguez copy and really like them. It's been a long time since I used them and am pleasantly surprised, so I may try those out on the Hauser copy as well.
James

APK
Posts: 75
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:45 pm

Re: Knobloch strings

Post by APK » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:34 pm

Thanks, James, for the quick and helpful response. I'll make the Hannabach SLTs my next venture.

I did a search for Michael Surrency's guitars but did not find much. The best post that I found was yours, from Jan. 2011. I hope that the Surrency Hauser has mellowed to your liking!

Best,
A

DanielIndo
Posts: 264
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:55 am
Location: Surabaya Indonesia

Re: Knobloch strings

Post by DanielIndo » Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:09 am

APK wrote:"In the end I like the new Q.Z. Nylon trebles in medium tension but I decided to put them on another guitar and try Hannabach 815 SLT trebles and think I've finally found what this guitar needed. It's a rather bright, 'forward' sounding guitar and certain strings seemed too bright. The Knobloch's were close but the Hannabach's have a very sweet sound to them on this guitar and I think the tension is right too. That seems to be a big part of it. I couldn't find any info on tension for the Knobloch strings. It'd be helpful to know."

Hi James,

May I ask what guitar it is that you found to be a better match for the Hannabach 815 SLT trebles? I recently tried the Knobloch Actives QZ nylons on my Sakurai-Kohno Pro J and like them. But you have me wondering. I'd be very grateful for your input.

Best,
APK
Hi APK
I am Daniel from Indonesia. I have a 2015 Sakurai Kohno Special which still try the best strings for it. In my country we do not have many strings brands, as well as separately sold bass and treble strings. We have only Hannabach, Savarez, Augustine, d'addario, La Bella. Which one that you suggested according to your experience with Pro J?. Thanks. Regards from Indonesia
2005 Jose Ramirez 1a Sakurai Kohno Special 2015
2005 Amalio Burguet 1F
2001 Juan Hernandez Maestro
2009 Loriente Angela
2011 Yamaha GC41
2015 Yamaha NCX2000FM

APK
Posts: 75
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:45 pm

Re: Knobloch strings

Post by APK » Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:02 pm

Hi Daniel,

Unhappily, I'm afraid that I cannot be of much help. Of the five string makers that you've mentioned I've tried only La Bella 2001 low tension nylons and, for me, they were not a good fit for the Pro J. I did write to Matt at Strings By Mail about the Hannabach 815 SLT and the Knobloch Active QZ nylons and he confirmed what James wrote. Here is Matt's reply: "Both sets are very nice. It really depends on your guitar and how you play, but in general the Hannabach strings are darker and warmer than most. The QZ are bright but still a lot of body and a full sound."

You might try posting your question on the Kohno & Sakurai Guitar Fan Club, here on the Delcamp site under Luthiers. The address for the website is: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=56508. You'll likely get many responses there.

I hope that the above helps.

Best,
A

DanielIndo
Posts: 264
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:55 am
Location: Surabaya Indonesia

Re: Knobloch strings

Post by DanielIndo » Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:01 am

[quote="APK"]Hi Daniel,

Unhappily, I'm afraid that I cannot be of much help. Of the five string makers that you've mentioned I've tried only La Bella 2001 low tension nylons and, for me, they were not a good fit for the Pro J. I did write to Matt at Strings By Mail about the Hannabach 815 SLT and the Knobloch Active QZ nylons and he confirmed what James wrote. Here is Matt's reply: "Both sets are very nice. It really depends on your guitar and how you play, but in general the Hannabach strings are darker and warmer than most. The QZ are bright but still a lot of body and a full sound."

You might try posting your question on the Kohno & Sakurai Guitar Fan Club, here on the Delcamp site under Luthiers. The address for the website is: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=56508. You'll likely get many responses there.

I hope that the above helps.

Hi APK
thanks for the input. I try the Flamenco black 2001 high tension on my Burguet, but for me the treble sounds less "rings" than I expect. The former string is "Luthier" hard tension, very nice for that guitar, but I cannot buy it in Indonesia. I bought the Burguet preowned in Melbourne, a nice Flamenco guitar. I will search in Kohno fans club. Best regards. Daniel. Indonesia
2005 Jose Ramirez 1a Sakurai Kohno Special 2015
2005 Amalio Burguet 1F
2001 Juan Hernandez Maestro
2009 Loriente Angela
2011 Yamaha GC41
2015 Yamaha NCX2000FM

Iain
Posts: 135
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:30 pm

Re: Knobloch strings

Post by Iain » Sat Dec 26, 2015 4:19 pm

I have been searching for the perfect strings.Tried the Knobloch pure silver, excellent strings, they just wore
out too quickly. I will try pyramid next, then, hannabach, then, just keep searching.

EOD
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:34 am
Location: London, United Kingdom

Re: Knobloch strings

Post by EOD » Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:11 pm

I'm based in London UK and am looking to purchase Knobloch CX Medium-High tension strings.
Does anyone know the most cost effective way I can get them for London or Dublin?

I can't find a distributor here in the U.K.

User avatar
petermc61
Posts: 5943
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:11 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Knobloch strings

Post by petermc61 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:31 pm

EOD wrote:I'm based in London UK and am looking to purchase Knobloch CX Medium-High tension strings.
Does anyone know the most cost effective way I can get them for London or Dublin?

I can't find a distributor here in the U.K.
Same advice as on other thread - SBM. Best customer service in the world.

Cao Nguyen

Re: Knobloch strings

Post by Cao Nguyen » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:57 am

petermc61 wrote:
Cao Nguyen wrote:
petermc61 wrote:... 2/3 the price of a full Goldin set.
still 4 times higher than a good ol' D'addario EJ45/46 set :D
And worth every penny!!! :wink:
+100¢ :D

User avatar
zupfgeiger
Posts: 1794
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:12 pm
Location: Wezembeek-Oppem, Belgium

Re: Knobloch strings

Post by zupfgeiger » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:30 am

Jack Douglas wrote:I am new to the Gutmeir Santos arena, but after a very brief playing of a new, last polish had barely settled, Gutmeier Santos and was immediately seduced by the lightness of the guitar, quick response, and basses that I could literally feel in my body. It was installed with Carbon trebles and my understanding is that is the recommended string. Ross says his Santos is designed for use of carbon. After playing it and a double top by him I absolutely agree. The tone is very clear and sweet on both guitars with carbon trebles installed.
Jack,
I am wondering a bit that Gutmeier promotes carbon strings for his Santos copy. My experience is that for such a traditional instrument, built 100 % in the Spanish style, a carbon string does not fit. My Santos copy, built by Tobias Braun, was much too harsh with carbon strings whereas nylon was adding a nice touch to the sweet tonal character. Same feeling with my Fritz Ober Torres/Hauser and with the Delarue which is even with nylon very bright on the trebles. You seem to share my view as you prefer nylon too for your Rohe.
Cheers
Michael
The secret of getting ahead is getting started (Mark Twain)

Tobias Braun, Santos copy, spruce/yew, 2017
Andrea Tacchi, Enrique Garcia model, Spruce/BRAZ, 2016
Giovanni Tacchi, Daniel Friederich copy, cedar/EIR, 2017
Alain Raifort, cedar/EIR, 2004

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”