Knobloch strings

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
Leo

Re: Knobloch strings

Post by Leo » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:17 am

Arker wrote:
Leo wrote:Recent problems with any breakage of Aquila strings have not involved the Alabastro (nylgut) strings. In fact someone has said on this forum that he keeps his nylgut trebles on his guitar for over a year regularly.
Yes I saw that.

This is what I was referring to (taken from a commercial site selling these particular strings:)
IMPORTANT INSTALLATION INFORMATION:

Nylgut is a completely different material than nylon and needs a bit of extra care during installation because of its soft surface and different molecular structure.

First check that the string channels in the nut are rounded and have no sharp edges, especially the lower edges facing the fingerboard. Because the string approaches from a slightly downward angle, if that edge is sharp the string can hang up on it, create a burr and break. It needs to be just slightly radiused, and this procedure can be done with very fine sand paper and an old string, or a small round file. Some makers ignore this because Nylon strings are very hard and can withstand a poor set up. Sometimes bridge saddle edges on the tying side are sharp as well and should be radiused slightly with fine sandpaper.

It is good to help the strings over the nut by lifting them slightly right at the nut as you tune up.
So I am not referring to them just 'breaking' but the worry that a sharp edge on the nut or bridge/saddle area might need to be smoothed to avoid damaging them during installation.

Is this not accurate?
Don't know, I guess I don"t have any sharp edge on my nut or saddle, and I have not had any breakage or damage issue.

Arker

Post by Arker » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:47 am

Leo wrote: Don't know, I guess I don"t have any sharp edge on my nut or saddle, and I have not had any breakage or damage issue.
Yeah I would bet I don't either but... don't really know. It'll take several months for me to use up my current string stock, at some point before that happens I'll dig up my magnifying glass and get a good flashlight out and take a look. The more I read about them the more I know I'll have to try them eventually.

Granary Guitars

Post by Granary Guitars » Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:50 pm

I like the sound of Knobloch - always makes me smile - a sort of male chastity device.

ErikEngerd

Post by ErikEngerd » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:39 pm

After several issues with the Knobloch strings such as intonation problems and a case where the E1 string started sounding truly awful after one week, I am now back to d'Addario EJ45s. My guitar (Stephen Hill Cedar Lattice) has developed so much over the last months that I no longer need the deeper sound of the Knobloch basses.

I also once tried the sterling silver Knoblochs but the sound was not really better than the normal Knoblocbs and they didn't last much longer. Also, generally, the Knoblochs don't deal very well with retuning strings (e.g from e to d on E6), and that makes them wear down more quickly than other strings.

Also, customer support of Knobloch was no good since they did not send me replacement strings when I had problems which is quite different from other manufacturers. This reinforced my decision to move to EJ45s. Also, financially it is a lot better since I can get almost 3 sets of EJ45s for the price of one set of Knoblochs.

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:08 pm

Sad you had a few problems. Contrary to your experience I have used quite a few sets of Knobloch and have found them very reliable with excellent intonation and a good life span. Sound wise I think they are in a different league to D'Addario, at least on the guitars I have tried them both on.

zupfgeiger

Post by zupfgeiger » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:11 am

I use a Knobloch's carbon g string for a long time on my guitars and never had any issues. They last very long and the sound is excellent. Some days ago I found an old single Knobloch carbon b string, which got lost in my stock somewhere. Put it on my Tacchi and it sounded - goreous! Loud, but not canny or overly bright at all, sweet and natural. I will use it more often together with the g string. Only on first string I stick to nylons as I don't like the brightness and the thin diameter of carbon strings, even if it's Knobloch.
The secret of getting ahead is getting started (Mark Twain)

Tobias Braun, Santos copy, spruce/yew, 2017
Andrea Tacchi, Enrique Garcia model, Spruce/BRAZ, 2016
Giovanni Tacchi, Daniel Friederich copy, cedar/EIR, 2017
Alain Raifort, cedar/EIR, 2004

ben etow

Post by ben etow » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:33 pm

Never had significant problems with Knobloch, which I used for years, especially the trebles (I've had inmeasurably more issues with Savarez). The new Spanish manufacturer may have a worse quality control, but I doubt it given the price.

BTW, I never liked the D'Addario.

leafhound

Post by leafhound » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:30 pm

Knobloch strings made in Spain just like the best guitars.c :) I have some here and will try them shortly.

Contreras

Post by Contreras » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:27 am

I like the Activ silver basses very much ... excellent acoustic characteristics and they wear very well ... hard to choose between them and Pyramids.
Put down the bagpipes ...
... and no one gets hurt.

leafhound

Post by leafhound » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:51 am

ben etow wrote:
BTW, I never liked the D'Addario.

1+

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”