Aquila Alabastro any fans?

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
powderedtoastman
Posts: 84
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:15 am
Location: Sunnyvale, CA

Re: Aquila Alabastro any fans?

Postby powderedtoastman » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:50 am

Say, does anybody know where to get sets of only the trebles?
Strings by Mail seems to have either full sets or basses only. But right now I'm thinking that I might rather use the Alabastro trebles with something different for the basses.
The problem is that these bass strings corrode very quickly for me, even more so than other sets which I already go through pretty quickly...
The trebles seem to be fine for quite a while though!

User avatar
petermc61
Posts: 5346
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:11 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Aquila Alabastro any fans?

Postby petermc61 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:53 am

powderedtoastman wrote:Say, does anybody know where to get sets of only the trebles?
Strings by Mail seems to have either full sets or basses only. But right now I'm thinking that I might rather use the Alabastro trebles with something different for the basses.
The problem is that these bass strings corrode very quickly for me, even more so than other sets which I already go through pretty quickly...
The trebles seem to be fine for quite a while though!


I did an extensive search on the web but that long ago looking for trebles only and could not find them. I rather suspect you will have no better luck.

Peter

powderedtoastman
Posts: 84
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:15 am
Location: Sunnyvale, CA

Re: Aquila Alabastro any fans?

Postby powderedtoastman » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:12 am

petermc61 wrote:
powderedtoastman wrote:Say, does anybody know where to get sets of only the trebles?
Strings by Mail seems to have either full sets or basses only. But right now I'm thinking that I might rather use the Alabastro trebles with something different for the basses.
The problem is that these bass strings corrode very quickly for me, even more so than other sets which I already go through pretty quickly...
The trebles seem to be fine for quite a while though!


I did an extensive search on the web but that long ago looking for trebles only and could not find them. I rather suspect you will have no better luck.

Peter


OK, thanks! I will decide between stockpiling these basses or just ordering an extra bass set with every full set, and change my basses frequently.

lifewithasong
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:23 pm
Location: Columbia, SC

Re: Aquila Alabastro any fans?

Postby lifewithasong » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:39 pm

. . .I've had these on for about four days now, and I have to say--I'm really, really liking my experience with them! The things that other posters have been saying have been my experience, as well: Balanced, a great range of tone colors available, and they seem to have settled in about four times faster than other strings.
Esse quam videri

lifewithasong
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:23 pm
Location: Columbia, SC

Re: Aquila Alabastro any fans?

Postby lifewithasong » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:26 pm

Peter, sorry, but I did not see your reply of the 8th until after I had just entered mine this afternoon. I thought I had subscribed to the thread, but apparently there was some malfunction.

I really am enjoying these strings, and am already wondering about going up to the higher tension. I tend to favor medium/normal tension strings, but have read that the tension on these is a bit higher than other comparable medium/normal sets by other manufacturers.

Any comments? Experiences?

Thank you,
Greg
Esse quam videri

Icarus11
Posts: 42
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:13 am
Location: Bordeaux, France

Re: Aquila Alabastro any fans?

Postby Icarus11 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:55 pm

The Alabastro trebles LT like the other nygult sets (except the Ambra 800) are too hard for me, never mind...

User avatar
petermc61
Posts: 5346
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:11 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Aquila Alabastro any fans?

Postby petermc61 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:10 pm

lifewithasong wrote:Peter, sorry, but I did not see your reply of the 8th until after I had just entered mine this afternoon. I thought I had subscribed to the thread, but apparently there was some malfunction.

I really am enjoying these strings, and am already wondering about going up to the higher tension. I tend to favor medium/normal tension strings, but have read that the tension on these is a bit higher than other comparable medium/normal sets by other manufacturers.

Any comments? Experiences?

Thank you,
Greg


I would stick with low or normal tension Alabastro. The superior is indeed high in tension. I could not imagine playing those - they'd be like high tension carbon.

lifewithasong
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:23 pm
Location: Columbia, SC

Re: Aquila Alabastro any fans?

Postby lifewithasong » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:17 am

Thanks guys. I'm thinking I'll be sticking with these, then. Very happy with them!
Esse quam videri


Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 7 guests