Aquila Alabastro any fans?

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
dilettante1000

Re: Aquila Alabastro any fans?

Post by dilettante1000 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:00 am

Beowulf wrote:Can anyone one speak to the string tension of the Alabastros? I have been using D'Addario EJ44C strings and this results in an average string tension of 16.02lbs on my 662mm scale 1971 Yamaha GC-10. I prefer this to the Normal tension EJ46. The average tensions for the Alabastros at 662mm would be:
Light: 16.09
Normal: 16.95
Superior: 18.67

I think that the Superior would be pushing it on my instrument, so I am debating Light versus Normal. How "hard" do the Alabastros feel when playing compared to other strings? I also noted that the Alabastros are slightly less in diameter compared to the D'Addarios. Is this likely to be noticeable?
I'm no expert, but I'm inclined to think of the Alabastros as playing slightly firmer than the d'Addarios I have used recently. By this, I mean that the contact with the string feels, to my fingers, slightly more 'positive'. I'm not a big fan of super-smooth or super-low tensions, so this suits me very well.
I use the 'normal' tension.
Some people look for the smoothest, lightest feel possible, to aid playability and transitions, I prefer the extra sense of dynamics and range which the slightly tenser string gives - quite simply, when I use Alabastros, I feel that I have more flexibility in my interpretation choices, and often these come 'naturally' with a piece as I am playing it.

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:15 am

dilettante1000 wrote: I'm no expert, but I'm inclined to think of the Alabastros as playing slightly firmer than the d'Addarios I have used recently. By this, I mean that the contact with the string feels, to my fingers, slightly more 'positive'. I'm not a big fan of super-smooth or super-low tensions, so this suits me very well.
I use the 'normal' tension.
Some people look for the smoothest, lightest feel possible, to aid playability and transitions, I prefer the extra sense of dynamics and range which the slightly tenser string gives - quite simply, when I use Alabastros, I feel that I have more flexibility in my interpretation choices, and often these come 'naturally' with a piece as I am playing it.
Thanks...that is helpful. Normal seems to be a good first try. On my GC-10 they would be a bit less than 6% higher in tension than the D'Addarios...I don't think that will be too much.
1971 Yamaha GC-10

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:23 am

Yes, try the normal first. I don't think they feel that tense. I fact, I love the feel of the strings to both left and right hands.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”