Aquila Alabastro any fans?

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
Mimmo2us

Re: Aquila Alabastro any fans?

Post by Mimmo2us » Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:08 am

Ah
right
well, the Rubino & Granato has the same tension of the Alabastro superior tension.
Mimmo

dilettante1000

Post by dilettante1000 » Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:23 am

For Rubino, they say 'same as Alabastro Superior' (high). Haven't checked out the Granato.

They feel pretty similar to the Carbons I have on one other guitar, perhaps a tad firmer than the exp45s on a third, which I don't much care for anyway. My sense of the touch is 'positive' - which can be good or a bad thing, depending on your playing style.

craigh

Post by craigh » Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:30 am

I recently put on a set of Alabastros on a cutaway i have and they didn't make the grade ( left the basses on though , they died really quick , wasn't super impressed with them ) . So , i took the trebles off and put them on my Cordoba C10 and man ... best sounding trebles I've had on that guitar yet . The clarity and actual feel of the were great ! They were not as bright as as the Oasis carbons I had on ,but since the Cordoba is a spruce top , it doesn't need help in the brightness much , but i ahve tried a few strings that just straight up didn't work . I had a fellow teacher walk by the room as i way playing and he couldn't believe the sound . Really good volume and like it has been said before , a tone somewhere in between carbon and nylon .
The only thing i would change next time is to get a higher tension . I got low tension because when i read the specs , they looked like high or extra high tension when compared to something like D'Addario , but i can't trust those tension charts anymore ... just gotta play them . Definitely try these strings out .

Mimmo2us

Post by Mimmo2us » Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:28 pm

Dilettante 1000,
here is my answer:
supernylgut has the same ingredients of the new nylgut.
the difference is that I found a way to make it less stretchly- so supernylgut is an upgraded version of the new nylgut.
they have: same density, same gauges, same elasticity, same water abosirbition
Mimmo, Aquilastrings owner italy

dilettante1000

Post by dilettante1000 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:39 pm

Hi Mimmo, thanks for answering.
What you say makes sense to the touch. The 1st string of the Alabastro light set is about the same tension as the 1st on a set of daddario exp44 which came with my newest guitar (x high tension ) , but the feel is firmer, less flexible than the nylon. It is also easier (with my technique) to express dropping legato on the upper frets on a piece such as Tarrega's preludes or similar. There is less inclination for the string to roll off the fretboard under pressure.
Perhaps I should come see the factory in Vicenza when I come to Vipiteno next month for work.
Fergus,
customer of aquila strings.

Tonyyyyy

Post by Tonyyyyy » Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:53 pm

Mimmo2us wrote:...supernylgut has the same ingredients of the new nylgut.
the difference is that I found a way to make it less stretchly- so supernylgut is an upgraded version of the new nylgut.
they have: same density, same gauges, same elasticity, same water abosirbition
Mimmo, Aquilastrings owner italy
Thanks, a helpful clarifiation. It is good to know that there is much experimentation and possibilities for the future.

And the original nylgut? I like it too - still using it! A little rougher for the right hand finger tips, either good or bad depending on playing style. A friend refused to play my guitar when I put on the original nylgut :shock: .

On another thread someone said they preferred that slight roughness with a no-nails technique. I think it is better for vibrato too.

Mimmo2us

Post by Mimmo2us » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:21 am

any previous version of nylgut is out of production.
Mimmo

dilettante 1000 you are welcome.

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:01 am

Mimmo, I hope you don't mind me saying this, but the bass strings from your Gut and Silk 900 set are a great improvement over what they used to be. I recommend them highly. They are perfect.

Mimmo2us

Post by Mimmo2us » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:04 am

Ciao Rob, nice to hear by you again..
thanks!
Mimmo
Ps. I found a very good silk for them since a few months ago
however the lifetime came if you uses the Pujol knots done with little pieces of gut strings.

dwtrux

Post by dwtrux » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:08 pm

A very WARM welcome my friend to this forum and thanks for your wonderful strings. I have used the 900 on an 1850s Martin guitar [size 2] and have been amazed by the sound. I look forward to experimenting with the new Supernylgut on some of my others.

Also, truly enjoyed your website and tour videos.

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:35 pm

I sometimes use the wound strings of the 900 set. Supposedly a synthetic version of the Silk wound strings. They are warmer sounding and not as 'ringy' as the usual wound nylon strings. I like them. I just don't like the polished treble strings but I play mainly without nails.
Historicalguitars.

Leo

Post by Leo » Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:07 pm

I tried a set of low tension Alabastro strings out for the first time on my spruce top guitar that is strong on bass, and needs help with treble brightness and volume. I thought these strings would be good for this guitar, and they were. The bass is fine, and the trebles are stronger in volume than any nylon strings that I have tried, and almost as loud as carbons. What I also like is that they are just the right amount of brightness for this guitar, carbon strings, after playing them for awhile seem just a little bit too bright with not enough richness.

I think I have finally found a set of strings that are just right for this guitar. I will try a set of the Perla's out on my other Spruce top that is more balanced in sound in the future, but after I use up some existing sets I have for this guitar. Thanks everyone for the advise on these strings :D

hesson11

Post by hesson11 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:40 pm

Leo wrote:What I also like is that they are just the right amount of brightness for this guitar, carbon strings, after playing them for awhile seem just a little bit too bright with not enough richness.
That's the thing I find most remarkable about these strings. Yes, they are bright (to my ears on my guitars) but they also have a richness to them that takes the edge off the brightness. I know describing them as soulful sounds a bit goofy, but that may be the best way I can describe them. Excellent product, Mimmo, and I'm glad that I discovered them.
-Bob

mike.janel

Post by mike.janel » Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:15 pm

I just put on a new set of Alabastros and as I think was mentioned they look and feel different. Less white and less smooth. I moved the old set to my second guitar some time ago and there is a big change.
Are they rectified now or am I ilussionating?
Intonation and sound are perfect and they are very easy to play, so I am just curious.
Michael
-----------------------------------------------
2013 Amalio Burguet 3M (Cedar)
1989 Yamaha CG 110 (Spruce)
1982 Yamaha G 255S (Spruce)

Lawler

Post by Lawler » Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:15 pm

hesson11 wrote:...they are bright... but they also have a richness to them that takes the edge off the brightness.
Good description. That's very much how they sound on my guitar also.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”