Aquila Alabastro any fans?

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
Lawler

Re: Aquila Alabastro any fans?

Post by Lawler » Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:16 pm

Mimmo, thanks for sharing my youtube vid on your facebook page. For anyone who hasn't seen the Aquila facebook page, it has some fascinating pictures of strings being made.

MessyTendon

Post by MessyTendon » Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:18 pm

Mike they are not rectified. Basically anyone who wants to try a different material in a string should try these. They have very good pitch stability. I don't find myself fiddling with tuning. Its simply, make a quick adjustment or two and off to the races.

I am very glad Aquila has invested in different materials than the competition. I don't really know how these compare to real gut because I haven't tried them, but I will say they do sound different than other strings. They are a faithful string, that is to say they don't give you that new string brightness and then simply drop off.

They remain warm and pleasant. Modernist players seeking absolute brilliance and bright tone should look elsewhere. Here's a video I found where a guy with long nails coaxes the beautiful tone out of the strings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BL-mkJnjbzs

Lawler

Post by Lawler » Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:24 pm

MessyTendon wrote:Here's a video I found where a guy with long nails coaxes the beautiful tone out of the strings.
Thank you, MT. Glad you liked it.

Mimmo2us

Post by Mimmo2us » Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:40 pm

Hi Messy Tendon, I like it a lot it: what a nice playing. BUT...hell, are sure that they are my strings ?
ah ah

have you a Merry Christmas guys. I am doing right now the last experiments with some NEW materials. The Zaffiro series comming soon....
Ciao
Mimmo

Mimmo2us

Post by Mimmo2us » Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:22 pm

Hoops!
Lawler, I have realized right now that you were the guy playing the Alabastros in the youtube video.
so nice... I would like to know if I can add it on our webiste
If there are problems please do not worry. :)
I am happy anyway
Mimmo

Lawler

Post by Lawler » Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:46 pm

Mimmo2us wrote:Hoops!
Lawler... I would like to know if I can add it on our webiste...
Yes, certainly. Thanks again, Mimmo.

Tim Lawler

MessyTendon

Post by MessyTendon » Thu Dec 24, 2015 6:48 pm

Nice work Lawler...how about an encore. You also did a second video playing Bach on the same guitar right?

Mimmo...Zaffiro, tell us more. How about some samples, it's X-mas come on :)

Arker

Post by Arker » Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:29 pm

Mimmo2us wrote:well, now a few things about the sound absorbition.
higher the frequencies higher the absorbition. This is the rule.
This why in an orchestra there are many violins and few doublebasses. In the middle of the orchestra it is hard to hear the doublebasses because violins is the king here: in other world you hear violins mostly. But when you go far from the orchestra, in the middle of the concert hall, everything change. you hear a well balanced sound between high and low frequencies.
The very bass frequencies has a very very few absorbtions while the higher frequencies of the violins drops.
same with guitar strings. nylon produce a warm sound while fluocarbon strings are very brilliant. If you hear the guitar very close it is evident that the fluocarbon strings are better in matter of power.
But if you hear the same guitar with the same strings at 10 mt far you can hear am unbalanced sound: basses are far over the trebles that are weaker. Instead, if you have nylon treble strings the balance is much more better. Because nylon strings produces less higher frequencies ( Overtones) in the composition of their sound. The projection is better.
My english is not very good, however, I hope that things are clear anyway
Mimmo
Your English is perfectly functional - and so many orders of magnitude better than my Italiano Signor.

But your logic is compelling. I don't know why I hadnt thought of it in exactly that way before.

There may well be more complicating factors but this has to be the biggest one.

The implication I take is that that brighter strings in general may be preferable for practice or for recording with a mic, but probably not very good at all live and unamplified.

MessyTendon

Post by MessyTendon » Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:25 am

Arker...it's basic acoustics. Higher frequencies are quite directional. Low frequencies are non directional. Look up audiophile placement of subwoofers and tweeter position, known as "toe in"

Mimmo2us

Post by Mimmo2us » Fri Dec 25, 2015 5:06 pm

Messy Tendon... would you to test a few samples?
I do not remember I I have you adress. Maybe a PM to me?
Yes, I am working on the new Zaffiro strings. Hell, the sound is very interesting.
Mimmo

Cao Nguyen

Post by Cao Nguyen » Fri Dec 25, 2015 5:12 pm

Hi Mimmo,
Can I purchase strings directly from you? Here in Russia there are Aquila ukulele strings but not guitar :(.

Lawler

Post by Lawler » Sat Dec 26, 2015 4:08 am

MessyTendon wrote:Nice work Lawler...how about an encore. You also did a second video playing Bach on the same guitar right?
Thanks MT. Yes, the Sarabande Double on my YT page was from the same recording session.

Regarding an encore, here's a contrasting one:

A study by Julio Sagreras that I played with no-nail technique:

Youtube

One of the things I like about the alabastro strings is that they work well for me with nails or with no-nail technique.

MessyTendon

Post by MessyTendon » Sat Dec 26, 2015 12:25 pm

I think I have the charts for this one. The Sagreras if I can figure it out soon I'll try a demo video.

Casey Korstanje

Post by Casey Korstanje » Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:42 pm

I've just put a set of Alabastros on. Finally, I have found the trebles I've been looking for. They have a lovely Bell like tone. I've tried the EJ45s, the G string sounded dull from the beginning. Then I tried a set of La Bellas. Very nice, and very expensive here in Canada. The only thing I didn't like about them was the G string, which was as thick as your finger. The Aquila's have a whole other sound to them which I really like.

mrvegas

Post by mrvegas » Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:13 am

Are the tension charts on SBM accurate? Thinking about trying these for a while, but I play low tension. The low tension Alabastros seem to be well over 90 lbs, which is high tension compared to other sets. Only way to find out is to try I guess, but I was just curious about this.
Life is too short to be perfectly in tune.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”