Testing GHS 2500 " -Low noise strings" - - Your experiences?

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
fauxEspanol

Re: Testing GHS 2500 " -Low noise strings" - - Your experiences?

Post by fauxEspanol » Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:47 pm

I've got a set of Augustine blue pack on my guitar that I am extremely satisfied with but will send away for a set of the GHS 2500 strings to try as I prefer a less squeeky pallet to work with and I am open to less brilliance as my instrument is outspoken due to construction. The GHS company is located in the State (Michigan, U.S.) where I live so access is easy. Thanks everyone for the review info !

Arker

Post by Arker » Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:22 pm

I suspect they will work better on an 'outspoken' instrument - on my budget classical I definitely missed a little brilliance at first. I wasnt sure for awhile if I loved them or hated them or could only tolerate them. They do seem to warm up a little with time and they are wearing well as they are advertised to do. And listeners across the room dont seem to hear it the same - my roommate for instance thinks the instrument actually warmed up with these strings. I got someone else to strum it while I went across the room and sure enough - it sounds different, and fine, from there. So I have quit obsessing on it. They sound fine, they play well, they wear well so far. It's going to be interesting to see exactly how long they will last.

fauxEspanol

Post by fauxEspanol » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:46 pm

Just ordered 2 sets of the 2500's from StringsByMail , I've used their regular classical strings before, a bronze/black nylon set on my parlor guitar right now. I will change out the Augustine Blue strings in due course. I can only appreciate the brightness of silvered strings after they have worn from playing for a couple of months because of string squeak. Anyone who says " Oh, you need to play more precisely" doesn't play with any expression as far as I am concerned as I have been critiqued for my extreme precision and prowess of the instrument. Sloppy playing left the station 40 years ago. Squeaks are not part of the program for me when it comes to performing in front of an audience, let alone recording material. Walking on rice paper barefoot to test your "lightness skills"is one thing because it should be a fairly silent endeavor. *Will review the strings after I get them and they stretch out and make themselves comfortable. PS: I guess if you're a strummer you will not be bothered by the low -heeled squeeks of high-end brite strings.

Arker

Post by Arker » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:45 pm

String 5 on this set just popped apart with the guitar sitting in the case, bringing my longevity stress test of this set of strings to a close. They lasted just less than a month for me - slightly less time than the 'normal' set before them. I'm still giving them good marks for durability. Frankly the torture I put my strings through is something most players would never do, and what eventually took this set down for me was tension. I change tunings fairly frequently, with open G probably being my favorite but a couple days ago I started experimenting with open Dm7. Then yesterday, impressed with how well the strings were working, I raised that tuning a step to Em7. It was the tension that killed here - the 5th string only lasted about 20 hours tuned all the way up to B before the core gave way. The trebles still sound and play great, and even on the 5th string the wrap is not visibly worn at any point. I've previously considered the strings as needing replacement when the wrap is worn to the core over a heavily used fret and there is no sign that the wraps have even started to think about doing that on any of the strings at any point. So even though I killed them just as fast as I have other strings, I could have avoided that by not pushing my luck so far with tension and I have every indication they really would have lasted 2-3 months or more had I not.

Moje

Post by Moje » Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:59 am

God, what a horror-show. Tried a set on my Sakurai, the A string snapped behind the headstock right away, not even at a pressure-point. The strings are so rigid it's a nightmare tying the knots, and they wouldn't settle into tune, kept slipping with a little "clink" noise for days 'till I just tore them off and put on some normal strings. Not worth it even if there were a substantial reduction in string noise, which there wasn't . . . thumbs down for me.
2014 Michael Thames 650mm Cedar & IRW
1976 No. 10 Sakurai 660mm Spruce & IRW

Gorn

Post by Gorn » Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:34 pm

Moje wrote:God, what a horror-show. Tried a set on my Sakurai, the A string snapped behind the headstock right away, not even at a pressure-point. The strings are so rigid it's a nightmare tying the knots, and they wouldn't settle into tune, kept slipping with a little "clink" noise for days 'till I just tore them off and put on some normal strings. Not worth it even if there were a substantial reduction in string noise, which there wasn't . . . thumbs down for me.
Wow - I really cannot retrace that. Maybe it's because of the 660 mm diapason?
I didn't notice any of your problems on my (650 mm) guitar. O.K. the wound string ARE a bit more rigid than other hard tension strings, but I didn't have difficulties to fix it at my (12-hole) bridge. All overlaps or slipknots are pulled out immediately when in tune, there's no bouncing later on (thanks to my capstan fixing method viewtopic.php?f=43&t=101837) :D.
Quite the contrary: In my experience the GHS 2500's stay in tune better than any other strings I've tried before.

I hope, GHS doesn't produce worse quality by now???
I bought an annual requirement a couple of months ago - the first two sets have been very good, but I cannot say, when they were made. I got it from a shop which is focused on drums, because they were 20-30% cheaper there. Maybe the strings already lie about there for many years (?)

Moje

Post by Moje » Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:05 pm

Ha, I just started using your tying method, didn't realize you started both threads! As it happens I have a fresh set here, my Thames has a 12-hole bridge, and the strings are dead . . . also it's a Sunday and there's no place to buy strings, conditions are just right to give the 2505s another shot.

Having that one bass string snap soured me but these things do happen, maybe premature to write off GHS and it stands to reason that nickel would outlast copper . . . I'll put them on now and see how it goes, thanks for posting.
2014 Michael Thames 650mm Cedar & IRW
1976 No. 10 Sakurai 660mm Spruce & IRW

Gorn

Post by Gorn » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:47 pm

## UPDATE ## UPDATE ## UPDATE ###
In November 2016, I bought 12 sets GHS 2500's at Schneider Musik, Germany. The first set was strung up about February/March 2017 and those sets were different from my "old" strings, which obviously have been in stock for several years (the PVC-cover of the "old" ones showed a yellow stain in comparison to the "new" ones).
The surface felt a bit rougher (bad), the sound was more brilliant (good), especially D-string was stained very quickly and the finger noises were reduced less. I'd say: the "compressed round wound" nickel material was less compressed than earlier lots.
Next thing: the 4th string broke with no reason at all inside the case at a position, where there is no strain (e.g. between nut and capstan or in the middle of the soundhle). My guitar is 650 mm scale length, standard tuning, 440 Hz. O.K., bad luck - next set: same thing, 5th and a few days later also the 4th string broke inside the case. After that, I moved to the Azores islands. All strings were loosened and the guitar was put in a case for several weeks. Here on the Azores, the humidity is always >60%, so there's no need to put the guitar in a case after playing. I played two or three days: 4th string broke, two days later 5th string broke. One day later, the 5th string broke again. :evil: It always happened in the night while the guitar is on the stand. The damage looks like as if the core fibres have been pre-cut somehow. I could imagine that there was a sharp edge or whatever at one of the winding machines.
Now I've strung up another brand and claimed at GHS directly. They answered pretty quick and promised me to send a couple of D- and A-strings. But they didn't mention what was wrong or if the problem is solved by now.
I'll gonna see what the replacement strings will do. If they're not like the "old", I do not see a reason to buy 2500's again.
Any recommendations for strings that do NOT sound cutting brilliant, do NOT cost a fortune, last "forever" (maybe nickel wound :D ), stay in tune very quick and are hard tension?

MessyTendon

Post by MessyTendon » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:59 pm

Gorn...whats going on? I thought you liked the strings...maybe you got a bad batch. What happened to the replacements from GHS?

If you want a fushion specific string that can also be used for classical, but is more suited for modern jazz/pop the Thomastik Infield KR116 strings... but they aren't cheap. But they do last awhile.

Gorn

Post by Gorn » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:53 am

Still waiting for the replacements - no idea how long a letter will take from Battle Creek to São Miguel island, provided that they were despatched at all and there are no problems with custom's regulations.
Thanks for the recommendation, but after reading the comments/valuations on KR116 at Schneider Musik, I think it's not the sound that I prefer. The strings seem to sound too close to "real" steel strings. My aim is a a kind of old-fashioned, but nevertheless assertive latin nylon sound. No steel brilliances, but nylon sweetness (trebles) in combination with tight fundamental tones (basses).

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”