Tips for restringing classical guitar

Under this heading you can announce your own events and work products, including the publications of books, magazines, sheet music, CDs, videos, guitars you build, professional events like shows, training courses, festivals and competitions. Any member of the forum who wishes, may open a thread in this forum (but only one) using his/her name for the promotion of their efforts without limitation on the number of posts.
urosbaric

Tips for restringing classical guitar

Post by urosbaric » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:47 am

Hi everyone!

I'm pleased to share my new video with tips for restringing classical guitar, including:
-protecting guitar by taping a thick piece of paper or a bookmark onto the bridge
-avoiding any kind of knots at the tuning peg's roller end
-changing strings one by one to avoid any tuning problems
-using a string winder (without a screw in the middle) to save time turning the pegs
-using a nail clipper to trim the new strings’ ends

Youtube

I hope you'll enjoy the video! Best wishes,
Uros

Paul Janssen

Re: Tips for restringing classical guitar

Post by Paul Janssen » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:16 am

Hi Uros,

Great video with some excellent tips. I'm very curious to know whether other forum members use (or have used) your method at the tuning post end. I've not seen this before so I'm interested to know if other use it and how they find it.

Thanks, Paul

B.t.w. I purchased a copy of your Fernando Sor Album last year. It's fantastic and I happily recommend it to anyone interested in classical period music.

urosbaric

Post by urosbaric » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:23 am

Hi Paul, thanks so much for your kind words! I'm also interesting in what methods other forum members are using, I hope they'll chime in. Best wishes,
Uros

Erik Zurcher

Post by Erik Zurcher » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:23 am

Thanks for this video, Uros. We will meet in July at the Classical Guitar Retreat in Scotland.
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

urosbaric

Post by urosbaric » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:41 am

Hello Erik, sounds great! Looking forward to it!

Reymundo

Post by Reymundo » Mon May 30, 2016 3:35 pm

Nice job on the video. I became a subscriber of your YouTube channel. Very nice playing. Thanks!
Reymundo
Jose Ramirez 1A Elite (2016)
Luis Fernández de Córdoba (2015, No. 36)

guitarrista

Post by guitarrista » Mon May 30, 2016 4:12 pm

Paul Janssen wrote:I'm very curious to know whether other forum members use (or have used) your method at the tuning post end. I've not seen this before so I'm interested to know if other use it and how they find it.
Isn't this (for the trebles) basically the Frank Ford (frets.com) method? See page 4 of his 4-page re-stringing tutorial here http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Musicia ... cstr4.html for a picture at the tuning peg end. I have been using it for years. It does work very well.
Last edited by guitarrista on Mon May 30, 2016 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

JohnB

Post by JohnB » Mon May 30, 2016 4:52 pm

I'm not sure about the method he uses when he secures the bass strings on the tuning rollers. (It seems a bit over-kill to me.)

For decades, when securing the bass strings on the tuning rollers, I have the hole in the roller facing me (obviously), I then feed the string through the hole then pass it back OVER THE TOP of the roller (this is crucial), not UNDER the roller as shown in the video. I then just feed the loose end of the string (once) under the string where it enters the roller hole, make sure it is taught - then tighten. I've never, ever, had a bass string slip on the tuning head roller using this method.

With the trebles I do the same as with the basses but take the loose end twice more round the string (similar to the video).

Later Edit: It seems that my method is exactly the same as that shown on the frets.com website, and I have been using it for decades with no mishaps.
Hermanos Conde 1968, Stephen Frith 2007 "Guijoso"

spanishguitarmusic

Post by spanishguitarmusic » Tue May 31, 2016 12:15 am

Thank you for the nice video explaining how to string a classical guitar! I am always looking for new and improved ways to do this. Very clear explanation as well! Thanks for posting it. :merci:

Reymundo

Post by Reymundo » Tue May 31, 2016 3:20 am

I changed my strings today, tying at the tuners as Uros shows, everything went perfect except for strategically dropping my fingernail clippers when halfway through. :roll:
Reymundo
Jose Ramirez 1A Elite (2016)
Luis Fernández de Córdoba (2015, No. 36)

leomoreira

Post by leomoreira » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:02 am

Very useful! I'll follow the tips.
https://www.youtube.com/user/leonnardomoreira/

11-string guitar - Lucas Braz
6-string guitar - Samuel Carvalho
6-string guitar (w/ pick up) - Carvalho Brothers

kertsopoulos

Post by kertsopoulos » Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:58 pm

Hi Uros,
Very good video, congratulations!I would like to kindly say to you that if you have a chance for a remake or an update to the video, to consider this point: Usually most of the strings from any manufacturer (apart from exceptions) are put in a small envelope winded in a round form and one has to unwind the string in order to put it on the guitar. This practice by itself gives a twist in many places of the string, so, when one unwinds the string from the envelope form and frees it out, the string releases many of the twisted places but not all and not completely. Many times, a string producing a bad behavior in intonation and in octave harshness, has its cause on this specific problem, that at its run from the bridge to the nut the string is twisted in some or many places and it is not running smoothly and even and straight throughout its journey from the bridge saddle to the nut. To avoid this problem one can as soon as the string is tied at the bridge, to pass one's hand tightly through the string's mass from the bridge all the way to the other end before puting it into the hole of the machine peg and it is best to repeat the action for three or four times. This process is like ironing the string so all the twisted points and places are straightened out and making the string sit on the machine peg and get tuned in a completely straight manner with no twists whatsoever. With this technique we avoid any bad intonation to occur on a string which otherwise will be a good string producing good intonation, harmonics and octacves, fifths, fourths and thirds, etc. Since you made such a good job on this video I thought to give you an idea perhaps for an update. All best to you, Bravo and keep up the excellent work!!!

MhyrrBenz

Post by MhyrrBenz » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:39 am

I just ordered a Ernie Ball PowerPeg RECHARGEABLE String Winder for $10 more on e - b a y. I was dreading changing strings all month since every last time strings were changed flash as a drunken, sweaty adventure . . . I don't drink either! I find placing the CG on the ironing board works as well as a carpenters table. The manual winder was adding to a mounting CTunnel issue, definitely not a cause of it, but by hand, YES . . . and anxiety provoking. Last string change I knew the E string D'Addario 45 EXP was not stable at high notes and easily propelled outward . . . but I hung in there all this time waiting for my motivation, so it will be the arrival of the new tool . . . I can't take feeling so insecure everytime, outside to inside, one or two loops, how did it get so hot and humid so quick? :oops: Oy Veyerszmeir! :chaud: I can't wait, but I will, b/c if this is as good as they say . . . :mrgreen: I am cool with that.

Eberhard Mueller

Post by Eberhard Mueller » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:06 am

Very definitely recommend using a string winder powered with a battery operated screw driver! It is fast and easy on the wrist - especially if you suffer arthritis. On the roller end, it is through the hole, over the top of the roller, around the entry string, back up and around, taking it through the hole from the back. I know not who's method this is, but it's what I do. At the bridge end, I use Diamond tie block beads. Lately, I'm no longer a purist about changing strings one at a time. They are all taken off and then rewound. This seems efficient and has not harmed any of my guitars. For top protection, I have a shield made from a thin plastic sheet notched out, one side, for the bridge. ("Dollar Store" cutting board!)
Neil Douglas 2001 (German Spruce / German Maple)
Neil Douglas 1992 (Engelmann Spruce / Brazilian Rosewood)
La Patrie Motif
Cordoba Mini M

Lockie

Post by Lockie » Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:33 pm

Hi

A great store of information and advice I, t's well worth exploring all the various forums, so much better than Google and no Adds. Thanks for all of your tips.

Lockie

Return to “Members' Announcements”