The "Kertsopoulos guitar support-amplifier version: Superior"

Under this heading you can announce your own events and work products, including the publications of books, magazines, sheet music, CDs, videos, guitars you build, professional events like shows, training courses, festivals and competitions. Any member of the forum who wishes, may open a thread in this forum (but only one) using his/her name for the promotion of their efforts without limitation on the number of posts.
kertsopoulos

Re: The "Kertsopoulos guitar support-amplifier version: Superior"

Post by kertsopoulos » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:56 pm

kertsopoulos

Post by kertsopoulos » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:46 pm

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:24 pm

kertsopoulos wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:54 am
Another use of the "Kertsopoulos guitar support-amplifier" by Smaro Gregoriadou.
Smaro Gregoriadou interprets her arrangement of Toccata BWV 914 for keyboard instrument in E minor, BWV 914 by Johann Sebastian Bach (1685-1750)
(0:00) …
(0:43) Un poco Allegro
(2:38) Adagio
(4:56) Fuga (Allegro)
High-tuned guitar with scalloped frets and movable back pedal. Newly developed strings tuned 5 semitones higher than ordinary. Guitar/strings: KERTSOPOULOS AESTHETICS http://www.kertsopoulosaesthetics.blogspot.com. Smaro is a recording artist of DELOS http://www.delosmus.com and this Toccata is included in her cd "Reinventing guitar" volume II. Video/audio recordings: AN-ART ARTISTRY http://www.an-art.com.
Smaro Gregoriadou: Reinventing Guitar! http://www.smarogregoriadou.com

Youtube
This one is absolutely amazing ... what scale length and tuning doese that guitar have? Which strings?
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

kertsopoulos

Post by kertsopoulos » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:26 pm

High-tuned guitar with scalloped frets and movable back pedal. Newly developed strings tuned 5 semitones higher than ordinary. Guitar/strings: KERTSOPOULOS AESTHETICS http://www.kertsopoulosaesthetics.blogspot.com. Smaro is a recording artist of DELOS http://www.delosmus.com and this Toccata is included in her cd "Reinventing guitar" volume II. Video/audio recordings: AN-ART ARTISTRY http://www.an-art.com.
Smaro Gregoriadou: Reinventing Guitar! http://www.smarogregoriadou.com

Youtube

[/quote]
This one is absolutely amazing ... what scale length and tuning doese that guitar have? Which strings?
[/quote]

Hello rojarosguitar and thank you for your comment. The scale length of this guitar of my construction is 660 mm without the compensation. The compensation is +1.8 mm at the bass sixth string and +1.35 mm at the treble 1st string. So, at the treble 1st string the overall scale length with the compensation is 661.35 mm and at the bass 6th string the overall scale length with the compensation is 661.8 mm.

The tuning is a perfect fourth higher, so the 6th string is tuned in A (as in the normal tuning we tune the fifth string) and accordingly all other strings are tuned from the fifth to the first string as D, g, c, e' and a'. It is as though we have fixed a capo at the fifth fret in our normal tuning. In this sense we say that "High tuning is at: open strings = fifth fret" in the videos using "Kertsopoulos Aesthetics".

The strings are special strings of my construction. The 6th and 5th are silver wound basses, the 4th and 3d are metalonylon strings (the fingers touch the nylon overlay where as inside the nylon, travels a wound core of fine metallic hairs) and the 2nd and 1st strings are nylon. These are specially designed strings for high tuning and they apply an overall tension as the normal strings do between the usual hard and extra hard tensions already manufactured. None of my high tuning strings applies more tension to the guitar than the normally used strings, even my set where open strings=14th fret. The high tuning on my strings is accomplished by having weighted less mass per string that however, does not break but can hold high tuning and resonate with success. So, please take a note that normal strings are not supposed to be tuned higher than designated because there is a danger of making a damage to the guitar, even see that the bridge can fly off because if normal strings are tuned higher they apply extreme tensions to the guitar. One needs specially designed strings for high tuning.

Best regards, Georgios

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:52 am

Thanks. Is it possible to obtain these strings somewhere?
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

kertsopoulos

Post by kertsopoulos » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:20 am

For obtaining my strings one has to order them directly from me by emailing one's request at my email: gkertsopoulos@yahoo.gr

Rasputin

Post by Rasputin » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:31 am

It's a wonderful sound.

I had not heard of metalonylon strings, but have often wondered why ordinary bass strings a nylon core and metal windings - which squeak as we know - rather than having a metal core and a squeak-free nylon coating.

Is there a technical reason for using ordinary wound strings for the 5th and 6th strings on this guitar? Are metalonylon strings available for E A and D on a standard guitar?

Thanks

kertsopoulos

Post by kertsopoulos » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:59 am

Rasputin wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:31 am
It's a wonderful sound.

I had not heard of metalonylon strings, but have often wondered why ordinary bass strings a nylon core and metal windings - which squeak as we know - rather than having a metal core and a squeak-free nylon coating.

Is there a technical reason for using ordinary wound strings for the 5th and 6th strings on this guitar? Are metalonylon strings available for E A and D on a standard guitar?

Thanks
Thank you Rasputin for your comment. There are some constructional reasons for the squeaking of the mormally used wound bass strings as you very well describe. On a well constructed wound bass string the squeaking can be eliminated. It can be confirmed on the video played by Smaro, where she is using silver wound basses on the 5th and 6th with no squeaking in the performance.

Each constructional material that will be used provides different timber/color qualities, when the vibrational medium as a string performs oscillations but however, one has to balance out these different timber/color qualities. Quality silver wound strings are most effective for the tunings of the E, A and D on the guitar and they provide a color/timber contrast differece to the metalonylon used as trebles as 3d-G, 2nd-B and 1st-E (in the normal tuning of open strings).

The color/timber contrast however between the 4th-D and 3d-G in the case of matalonylon strings remains very effective, sounding natural and desirable. Compare for instance the contrast between the 5th-D string and the 4th-G string on the video of Smaro where open strings=fifth fret and you can confirm this yourself. This happens because the metalonylon G string has a combination of metal and nylon material in its construction, so, the nylon provides the mellowness and the metal wound metallic hairs as a core of the string provide the brilliance, so the passing from the fourth to the fifth string and vice-versa is not so far away different in timber and color, but is aesthetically desirable.

In our normal strings the passing from the fourth (silver or copper wound) to the third (nylon) string is way out of giving a desirable contrast because the nylon string possesses none of the characteristics of the silver wound. So, from a mellow but dull (compared to the metallic brilliance of the wound bass) nylon 3d string the silver wound bass sounds too metallically bright making an undesirable contrast of a great gap in strict aesthetic listening criteria. So, if we really analyze it there lies the aesthetic problem of the normally used string of wound basses and nylon trebles. The great discrepancy in timber/color from the passage from 4th (wound bass) to the 3d (nylon). My metalonylon strings solve this aesthetical discrepancy.

So, when used as normal tuning the metalonylon trebles can provide great range of timber/color qualities from really bright metallic sound to romantic mellow imitating the nylon strings but they can never give the negative characteristics of nylon where in many cases the nylon reach the dull side of timber/color. The metalonylon cannot provide us a dull sound of any kind.

My nylon strings that give the possibilities to tune up to the 14th fret of the first string in frequency, which is the f''# are very bright and resonating and also they provide brilliance through the nylon material and never become dull. It is a matter of constructional specifucations in the string's vibrational mode behavior when it is actually played, how the attack on the note by the finger releases the dynamic energy converting it to kinetic and vice-versa. The molecules themselves are the basic players of the game.

That is why Smaro uses silver wound basses on the 5th and 6th, to make a good desirable contrast with the metalonylon 4th and 3d and these make a good and desirable contrast passage with the nylon 2nd and 1st. So, with this arrangement she has three different desirable timber/color zones, instead of the normal two (so, she uses a three zone timber/color differentiation) and her timber/color contrasts are rich but balanced, desirable and multi-functional under the interpreter's technical variations to justify the work being interpreted in the best possible manner.

These above details are the specific pragmatic reasons for you to say ...It's a wonderful sound.....

The metalonylon string frequency range is from 4th-F (at the fourth string, third fret in normal tuning) to 1st-E.

Best regards,

Georgios
Last edited by kertsopoulos on Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

Rasputin

Post by Rasputin » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:59 am

Thanks very much Georgios for that very detailed reply.

kertsopoulos

Post by kertsopoulos » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:40 pm

A kind reference to Smaro Gregoriadou and the innovations of "Kertsopoulos Aesthetics" on the June 2017 A THESIS SUBMITTED TO THE GRADUATE SCHOOL OF NATURAL AND APPLIED SCIENCES OF MIDDLE EAST TECHNICAL UNIVERSITY entitled:DESIGN FOR PERFORMABILITY
IN NYLON STRUNG ACOUSTIC GUITARS by:ALKIN KORKMAZ. It is found on page 116 (page 136 of 417 on the pdf) of the thesis found in the link:
http://etd.lib.metu.edu.tr/upload/12621034/index.pdf
Page 116 from thesis-136 as pdf.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kertsopoulos

Post by kertsopoulos » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:11 pm

La Maja de Goya by Enrique Granados performed by Morten Spanggaard Pedersen in a concert in Fladstrand Kirke on July 25, 2017.
Video and audio recording: Anders Johansen
The concert was played on a Thomas Humphrey guitar upgraded by Yorgos Kertsopoulos with the Kertsopoulos support-amplifier "superior".

Youtube

guitarrista

Post by guitarrista » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:43 am

FYI: You have FIVE threads going in "Members' Announcements" for essentially the same purpose - promoting your efforts (4 overt and 1 in content if not title). From that sub-forum rules:

onlyone.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

kertsopoulos

Post by kertsopoulos » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:28 am

guitarrista wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:43 am
FYI: You have FIVE threads going in "Members' Announcements" for essentially the same purpose - promoting your efforts (4 overt and 1 in content if not title). From that sub-forum rules:

onlyone.JPG
Thank you guitarrista for your kind comment. Since you took the time to post the same comment on each of the five threads, I am answering you in each thread also. You are saying in your kind comment, that my posting is breaking the rules of the forum. In each of the five threads (in my opinion) the subject is absolutely of unique interest to the guitarist who will visit the thread. Interest? How can we verify that there is any interest? The number of the views and the comments of the participants is a safe guide for one to verify if there is a unique interest in each thread. Also, in what period span these views and comments happened. Let’s see below the beginning dates of the threads and the total views, as of today, the 21 Sep. 2017:
Antonio de Torres film campaign needs our support Sunday 18 June 2017 - 620 views
"Kertsopoulos Aesthetics" strings in normal & high tuning-The how and the why
Saturday 29 July 2017 - 1200 views
Pedal guitars, Mathematical Model of the Guitar, Strings, etc by:Y.Kertsopoulos
Thursday 02 June 2016 - 3123 views
The "Kertsopoulos guitar support-amplifier version: Superior"
Saturday 29 October 2016 - 3587 views
Guitars upgraded acoustically by re-construction to "Kertsopoulos Aesthetics"
Saturday 10 December 2016 - 5042 views
The views, one can verify, are satisfactory and the comments also interesting, which prove the response of the participant guitarists to be positive. Of course, there are exceptions, like yourself, where you do not like what is happening, fully respectable and understandable by me. However, I can assure you that I had no intention to break the rules of our hospitable forum as you are kindly accusing me of doing. Secondly, you are implying with your kind comment that the administration of the forum (which I fully respect in all cases), icluding all the administrators have not done correctly their job to really stop Kertsopoulos (me in this case) from breaking the rules of the forum. All these months, that the threads have been posted, with all the many views and comments, listed, you are saying that the administrators should have stopped Kertsopoulos from breaking the rules and they did not. Why didn’t you make a report to the administrators about your objection? You can be sure, however, that the administrators (it is my belief) know very well their job and they did not miss something. If though today, the administrators decide to close down all my threads because of your kind objection, I will be more than happy to close down all my threads, because the last thing I want is to break the rules of this very hospitable and kind forum. I wish you the best, in your progress, Yorgos

Return to “Members' Announcements”