Book launch: Introduction to the Lute for Lute and Guitar Players

Under this heading you can announce your own events and work products, including the publications of books, magazines, sheet music, CDs, videos, guitars you build, professional events like shows, training courses, festivals and competitions. Any member of the forum who wishes, may open a thread in this forum (but only one) using his/her name for the promotion of their efforts without limitation on the number of posts.
User avatar
RobMacKillop
Posts: 1989
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:24 pm
Location: Edinburgh

Book launch: Introduction to the Lute for Lute and Guitar Players

Post by RobMacKillop » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:16 am

Delighted to announce the launch of my Introduction to the Lute - for Lute and Guitar players!


Youtube



The book contains 31 great tunes, all in both guitar tab and lute tablature, from easy to advanced, and sound files for every piece and exercise.

The text deals with finding a lute, resources, technique for both hands, learning to read tablature, notes on composers and pieces, etc, etc.

Available as a hard copy book from Mel Bay and their distributors, or as an online eBook from Mel Bay. Sound files available from the Mel Bay site.

The book is focussed on the six-course Renaissance lute, but has lots of tips for guitar players as well.

Any questions, ask away.

=========

Well, that's the publicity. The reason behind the book is that the folks at Mel Bay quite rightly pointed out that it's not just classical guitarists who come to the lute today, many come from rock or acoustic fingerpicking guitar as well. And of course some come to the lute as their first instrument. I've tried to welcome guitar players, and show where there are connections between lute technique and some of the techniques they might already have. For instance, it's not unknown for players of the 6c lute use left-hand thumb on the 6th course. And many fingerpickers on steel-strung guitars play with a thumb-in technique. They might use this book to play lute music on their guitar, acoustic or electric, but they might also be persuaded to try a real lute.

I'm particularly pleased that all the music and exercises are recorded on a 6c lute. And although guitar tab is included, you are encouraged to learn to read lute tablature as well. I've already started using the book with a couple of my guitar students, and now they are watching lute videos online, and asking interesting questions!

Classical guitarists can get a lot from the book, but there is no standard notation. Lute players never used it, and I encourage you to read lute tablature - if it was good enough for Dowland and Weiss...and is a gateway to literally thousands of repertoire pieces.

Any questions, just ask.

Sound files can be heard, but not downloaded, on my soundcloud page: https://soundcloud.com/robmackillop/set ... o-the-lute

igycrctl
Posts: 361
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:53 am
Location: New Jersey

Re: Book launch: Introduction to the Lute for Lute and Guitar Players

Post by igycrctl » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:11 pm

Very nice presentation.

User avatar
Contreras
Posts: 700
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:13 am
Location: In the Wind

Re: Book launch: Introduction to the Lute for Lute and Guitar Players

Post by Contreras » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:38 pm

Congratulations Rob ... Just saw it on my Google feed.
And you answered a question of mine about using the left thumb on the 6th string ... saw a guitarist doing it the other day.
Simon
Put down the bagpipes ...
... and no one gets hurt.

User avatar
RobMacKillop
Posts: 1989
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:24 pm
Location: Edinburgh

Re: Book launch: Introduction to the Lute for Lute and Guitar Players

Post by RobMacKillop » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:53 pm

Good. I do it quite often, even on a classical - as did Giuliani.

Claire Etoile
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:26 pm
Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom

Re: Book launch: Introduction to the Lute for Lute and Guitar Players

Post by Claire Etoile » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:04 pm

Good luck with your new book. I listened to some of the recordings and they gave me a pleasant break from a tricky piece of music I'm currently working on.

User avatar
RobMacKillop
Posts: 1989
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:24 pm
Location: Edinburgh

Re: Book launch: Introduction to the Lute for Lute and Guitar Players

Post by RobMacKillop » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:05 pm

Nice to know. Cheers.

edcat7
Posts: 904
Joined: Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:47 am
Location: Barnet, London

Re: Book launch: Introduction to the Lute for Lute and Guitar Players

Post by edcat7 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:00 pm

Rob, to those who know nothing about lutes, can you tell us the difference between different lutes and the oud? I have the Chinese derivative: the liuqin.
Remember Anthony Weller, please help. Contact myself or Aaron Green for details.

2handband
Posts: 948
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:31 pm

Re: Book launch: Introduction to the Lute for Lute and Guitar Players

Post by 2handband » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:03 pm

Glad to hear I'm not the only stubborn thumb fretter out there. I crossed over to classical after having spent years playing fingerstyle blues learning at the feet of Blind Lemon Jefferson, Blind Boy Fuller, and Blind Blake (albeit with a modified technique; I use all five right hand fingers) and also learning to play rock from the likes of Ritchie Blackmore and Jimi Hendrix. I almost can't not use my thumb,which is one reason I couldn't get along with that 8 string classical that I bought (and quickly resold) year before last.

Good luck with the book, Rob... the music sounds killer. Once I pull my head out of the 19th century (which probably won't be very soon) I want to get a more serious look at some lute music.

User avatar
Rick Beauregard
Student of the online lessons
Posts: 910
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:23 am
Location: Blaine, WA

Re: Book launch: Introduction to the Lute for Lute and Guitar Players

Post by Rick Beauregard » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:13 pm

Congratulations on the release Rob and good luck with sales. Everything you do and share here has been an inspiration for this estudiante perpetuo. Lute, Jazz, Uke, Bass, I love it all! Although I feel I have my hands full just learning to play the 6 strings and learning standard notation, I'll definitely take a look at the book How do you do it? You've moved me to take out my ukes, noodle on the on the P-bass, and try some jazz standards. I might just also go to the dark side one day and lose the nails. Keep the great stuff coming! :merci:
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

User avatar
RobMacKillop
Posts: 1989
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:24 pm
Location: Edinburgh

Re: Book launch: Introduction to the Lute for Lute and Guitar Players

Post by RobMacKillop » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:09 pm

edcat7 wrote:Rob, to those who know nothing about lutes, can you tell us the difference between different lutes and the oud? I have the Chinese derivative: the liuqin.
basically, the oud is fretless, the lute is fretted. Also, there are many types of lutes, with differing numbers of strings. The medieval lute had four, then five-pairs of strings. The Renaissance lute starts with six pairs - you can emulate the tuning on your classical guitar by lowering the third string from G to F#, and there you have it. A world of great Renaissance music awaits you.

The lute developed a lot more courses of strings (a course is either one or two strings) as music fashions changed, ending up with Weiss playing a lute with 13 courses.

The repertoire is massive, literally thousand of pieces survive, and much of it is good quality, some of it great.

You will find more info online.

User avatar
RobMacKillop
Posts: 1989
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:24 pm
Location: Edinburgh

Re: Book launch: Introduction to the Lute for Lute and Guitar Players

Post by RobMacKillop » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:11 pm

2handband wrote:Glad to hear I'm not the only stubborn thumb fretter out there. I crossed over to classical after having spent years playing fingerstyle blues learning at the feet of Blind Lemon Jefferson, Blind Boy Fuller, and Blind Blake (albeit with a modified technique; I use all five right hand fingers) and also learning to play rock from the likes of Ritchie Blackmore and Jimi Hendrix. I almost can't not use my thumb,which is one reason I couldn't get along with that 8 string classical that I bought (and quickly resold) year before last.

Good luck with the book, Rob... the music sounds killer. Once I pull my head out of the 19th century (which probably won't be very soon) I want to get a more serious look at some lute music.

You almost can't use your thumb? That sounds a problem. Good luck with your playing. I know you are an advanced player, so you have clearly found a way of adapting. The spirit of Django hovers above us all!

User avatar
RobMacKillop
Posts: 1989
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:24 pm
Location: Edinburgh

Re: Book launch: Introduction to the Lute for Lute and Guitar Players

Post by RobMacKillop » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:13 pm

Rick Beauregard wrote:Congratulations on the release Rob and good luck with sales. Everything you do and share here has been an inspiration for this estudiante perpetuo. Lute, Jazz, Uke, Bass, I love it all! Although I feel I have my hands full just learning to play the 6 strings and learning standard notation, I'll definitely take a look at the book How do you do it? You've moved me to take out my ukes, noodle on the on the P-bass, and try some jazz standards. I might just also go to the dark side one day and lose the nails. Keep the great stuff coming! :merci:
Thanks, Rick! How do I do it? Boredom. I love boredom. It means something new is brewing, and I get excited wondering what it might be! Long may you be bored, Rick! :lol:

User avatar
Rick Beauregard
Student of the online lessons
Posts: 910
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:23 am
Location: Blaine, WA

Re: Book launch: Introduction to the Lute for Lute and Guitar Players

Post by Rick Beauregard » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:26 pm

RobMacKillop wrote:
Rick Beauregard wrote:Congratulations on the release Rob and good luck with sales. Everything you do and share here has been an inspiration for this estudiante perpetuo. Lute, Jazz, Uke, Bass, I love it all! Although I feel I have my hands full just learning to play the 6 strings and learning standard notation, I'll definitely take a look at the book How do you do it? You've moved me to take out my ukes, noodle on the on the P-bass, and try some jazz standards. I might just also go to the dark side one day and lose the nails. Keep the great stuff coming! :merci:
Thanks, Rick! How do I do it? Boredom. I love boredom. It means something new is brewing, and I get excited wondering what it might be! Long may you be bored, Rick! :lol:
I'm never bored. I guess that's the same thing, eh?

:zzz:
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

User avatar
RobMacKillop
Posts: 1989
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:24 pm
Location: Edinburgh

Re: Book launch: Introduction to the Lute for Lute and Guitar Players

Post by RobMacKillop » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:55 pm

I think it is!

User avatar
spanishguitarmusic
Posts: 1253
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:58 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Book launch: Introduction to the Lute for Lute and Guitar Players

Post by spanishguitarmusic » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:52 pm

Looks like a very nice book, I especially like the sound of the lute pieces!

Return to “Members' Announcements”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 3 guests