Book launch: Introduction to the Lute for Lute and Guitar Players

Under this heading you can announce your own events and work products, including the publications of books, magazines, sheet music, CDs, videos, guitars you build, professional events like shows, training courses, festivals and competitions. Any member of the forum who wishes, may open a thread in this forum (but only one) using his/her name for the promotion of their efforts without limitation on the number of posts.
RobMacKillop

Re: Book launch: Introduction to the Lute for Lute and Guitar Players

Postby RobMacKillop » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:58 pm

Thanks. Good to know!

lucy

Postby lucy » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:47 pm

Congratulations on your book Rob!

I was interested to read that there is lute and guitar tablature in it, but no standard notation. That takes me back! Because, rather curiously, (and I've never come across anyone else who started like this), I actually started playing guitar from lute tablature. My very first classical pieces, (after learning a few chords, just to get me started), were simple Sor studies, given to me in lute tab.

Wisely, though, my teacher also taught me to read standard notation too, but for a while, my proficiency at tablature was ahead of my ability to read standard notation. So, more difficult pieces, I read from tab and the easier pieces, (perhaps a couple of grades behind), from the dots.

After a while, I transcribed pieces into tablature myself, so I always maintained the link between the notation and the positioning of my fingers on the frets. Someone once asked me, how it was that I became so good, (his words), at reading dots when I started with tablature, so I told him about the transcribing I did. I actually have Prelude No. 1, by Villa-Lobos, in hand-written lute tablature somewhere!

However, I have to admit, I've not read any lute tablature for many years, (since my second guitar teacher, and subsequent ones, only taught standard notation), so I can barely read it now!
"Those who bring sunshine into the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves". James M. Barrie

kertsopoulos

Postby kertsopoulos » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:28 pm

Congratulations Rob for your very interesting book and also your wonderful interpretations, wishing you the best with its circulation, which will surely benefit the most everyone that will seriously study it, especially in the tablature reading, which in a very beautiful manner you are promoting!All the success to the book and to you, Yorgos

RobMacKillop

Postby RobMacKillop » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:34 pm

Lucy - that made me smile. You are crazy :-) You must be only person in the world to transcribe Villa-Lobos into lute tab, to play on guitar. I like your uniqueness!

Yorgos - thank you very much for your positive encouragement, which I very much appreciate!

lucy

Postby lucy » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:12 pm

RobMacKillop wrote:Lucy - that made me smile. You are crazy :-) You must be only person in the world to transcribe Villa-Lobos into lute tab, to play on guitar. I like your uniqueness!

Thanks Rob. :wink:

And look what I found..... just in case any lutenists out there are desperate to try Villa-Lobos on their six-course lute!

VL Prelude No.1 in lute tab Main Theme edited-1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Those who bring sunshine into the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves". James M. Barrie

RobMacKillop

Postby RobMacKillop » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:57 pm

Love it! :-)

kloeten

Postby kloeten » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:12 pm

Congratulations on your book!
Cheers Rutger

RobMacKillop

Postby RobMacKillop » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:37 pm