Octatonic

Under this heading you can announce your own events and work products, including the publications of books, magazines, sheet music, CDs, videos, guitars you build, professional events like shows, training courses, festivals and competitions. Any member of the forum who wishes, may open a thread in this forum (but only one) using his/her name for the promotion of their efforts without limitation on the number of posts.
johnhall

Octatonic

Post by johnhall » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:14 pm

A short piece using the diminished scale for content. Something new for me that has helped me become more aware of some contemporary compositional practices ( Britten, Martin etc.) Blog entry has more information: http://www.johnhallguitar.com/blog/octatonic/

Youtube

Thanks for listening,

John

Luuttuaja

Re: Octatonic

Post by Luuttuaja » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:21 pm

Thanks for the recording! It was a nice piece.

slidika

Post by slidika » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:06 pm

The playing is nice, but the music itself reminds me of a Bela Bartok piano piece I had to play in college -- too much dissonance for my taste. :(
Whenever I am not ready for my music lesson, I call it 'facing the music'.

johnhall

Post by johnhall » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:08 pm

Interesting you made that connection. Bartok did use this scale in his Mikrokosmos collection which is probably what you played in college. Thanks for your feedback and I respect your opinion.

John

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:14 pm

I like it, John. Seems very tonal to me, and only mildly dissonant. As a short compositional study, it is very successful, I'd say. Are you planning a series of studies? I'm also interested in what techniques you learned from studying Britten, Frank Martin, and presumably others? And do you share your scores?

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:18 pm

It has crossed my mind that there could be a composition sub forum here at Delcamp, where would-be composers share their studies, talk about their methods and intentions, and give and get support from others. I've only done a short amount of composing (two books of studies for fingerstyle ukulele) but might be stimulated to do more. Thoughts?

Edit: I see we have a Composers Workshop subforum!

viewforum.php?f=101

johnhall

Post by johnhall » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:32 pm

Thank you Rob. I tried to keep it somewhat tonal emphasizing the D major triad and root-fifth motion in the bass. Yes I do share some scores. You can download it here for free (enter zero) or make a contribution (I won't argue): http://www.johnhallguitar.com/blog/octatonic/

John

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:59 pm

Purchased! I'll try it out later this evening.

Return to “Members' Announcements”