New Podcast/Video Series: Play Like a 19th Century Guitarist

Under this heading you can announce your own events and work products, including the publications of books, magazines, sheet music, CDs, videos, guitars you build, professional events like shows, training courses, festivals and competitions. Any member of the forum who wishes, may open a thread in this forum (but only one) using his/her name for the promotion of their efforts without limitation on the number of posts.
Daniel Nistico

New Podcast/Video Series: Play Like a 19th Century Guitarist

Postby Daniel Nistico » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:34 am

Hello,

I have been researching 19th century performance practice in quite some depth, and I've started a podcast/video series on the topic.

You can hear and download the latest podcast about tone colour at: http://danielnistico.weebly.com/podcasts/play-like-a-19th-century-guitarist-tone-colour

My latest (and first) video in the series demonstrates how you can apply 19th century performance practice to Sor's Etude 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QDcPfd2XiA

Now that we have access to so many wonderful 19th century method books, we can virtually have "lessons" with some of the era's most respected and accomplished guitarists. They left us detailed information and exercises that reveal how they played their music. You can read more about these method books at: http://danielnistico.weebly.com/the-resourceful-guitarist.html

Please let me know if there are any topics, pieces, or composers that you'd like me to cover :D

Thanks!
Daniel

Monteverde

Re: New Podcast/Video Series: Play Like a 19th Century Guitarist

Postby Monteverde » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:07 pm

Hi Daniel --

Thanks for posting your very informative and enjoyable podcast and video. I am really looking forward to learning more from you, and I believe that your website, videos, and podcasts will become great resources for the classical guitar community.

Best regards.

Daniel Nistico

Postby Daniel Nistico » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:58 am

Hi Monteverde,

Thanks for your kind words!

The video for tone colour is now up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEnwFbg5Odw&t=8s

More videos/podcasts to come soon!

Thanks,
Daniel

Rick Hutt

Postby Rick Hutt » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:40 pm

Daniel,
Wonderful videos. I've already started redoing my approach to the Sor #1. Thanks for al you obviously hard work and insight.
2010 Pimentel & Sons Concert Grand
1970 Taurus (Barcelona)
2009 Ramundi flamenco blanca
1962 Martin 0-16
2000 Martin 000-18
1963 Epiphone 12 Str

kertsopoulos

Postby kertsopoulos » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:53 pm

Hello Daniel,
Congratulations for your work, you have a very stable and resourceful technique and superb musicianship. I enjoyed very much your interpretations in the 19th century and also the 20th century. Wishing you the best with your work in general and awaiting also your coming-up recording of Chopin in the fall of 2017.Best, Yorgos

Daniel Nistico

Postby Daniel Nistico » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:35 pm

Thank you Rick and Yorgos!

If you're really interested in 19th century performance practice, I have a free mailing list where I send resources, materials, videos, podcasts, etc. each week. You can sign up at http://www.danielnistico.weebly.com.

Otherwise please stay tuned for more videos and podcasts, coming soon!

I also look forward to recording some Chopin! I love Tarrega's arrangements, and I don't think they are played so much today.
All the best for both of you and your playing too :D

Regards,
Daniel

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Postby Stephen Kenyon » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:21 am

Congratulations on your work here. Might I suggest you consider using the composer's own opus number, rather than Segovia's numbering?
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

Daniel Nistico

Postby Daniel Nistico » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:27 am

Thank you for the suggestion! I think I will use both Sor's and Segovia's opus numbering from now on, so as to avoid any confusion whatsoever. I will amend the video and podcast titles to reflect that.

I see you own a Panormo - I am envious!!

Regards,
Daniel

spanishguitarmusic

Postby spanishguitarmusic » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:30 am

Thank you Daniel for the link to your website and podcast! Very nice!

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Postby Stephen Kenyon » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:36 am

Daniel Nistico wrote:Thank you for the suggestion! I think I will use both Sor's and Segovia's opus numbering from now on, so as to avoid any confusion whatsoever. I will amend the video and podcast titles to reflect that.

I see you own a Panormo - I am envious!!

Regards,
Daniel

Thanks, I think will be helpful especially of course to those who use complete studies volumes and have bypassed the Segovia selection.

The Panormo - yes. Well that would be another suggestions as and if possible to use an appropriate guitar! I'll not mention nails though ...
Louis Panormo (1838)

Daniel Nistico

Postby Daniel Nistico » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:49 am

Hehe, yes a Smallman is probably the furthest I could get from a Panormo. But I have just finished college, so a Panormo will have to wait unfortunately...

I'm sorry to bring the nails up, but I think Sor was using nails for certain effects, like imitating the Oboe:

“In imitating a singing passage for the Oboe, it is only possible to venture on short passages in thirds, intermixing slurred and staccato notes ... as the Oboe has quite a nasal sound, not only touch the strings as near as possible to the bridge, but curve the fingers and use the little nail to set them in vibration.” --- Method for the Guitar, page 5

Also, Sidney Pratten (1821–1895) was using some nails in her playing too:
“Corni - an effect produced by the points of the nails of the right hand close to the Bridge imitating the sound of Horns or Bugles." --- Guitar School, page 5

Several important 19th century method books do not specify whether to use nails or flesh. The list I have so far includes:
Pelzer's Instructions for the Spanish Guitar (1833)
Nuske's Instructions for the Spanish Guitar (1832)
Kirkman's Improved Method for the Guitar (1842?)

If you have evidence that suggests 19th century guitarists were not using nails at all, then I'd love to hear it and add it to my collection!

kertsopoulos

Postby kertsopoulos » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:36 am

Daniel Nistico wrote:If you have evidence that suggests 19th century guitarists were not using nails at all, then I'd love to hear it and add it to my collection!

Hi again Daniel, it was Dionisio Aguado a friend of Fernando Sor(s), whom recorded history has him to prefer the flesh without using nails at all, contrary to Sor's preference of the nails.

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Postby Stephen Kenyon » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:39 pm

Daniel Nistico wrote:Hehe, yes a Smallman is probably the furthest I could get from a Panormo. But I have just finished college, so a Panormo will have to wait unfortunately...

I'm sorry to bring the nails up, but I think Sor was using nails for certain effects, like imitating the Oboe:
...!

So yes I really shouldn't have mentioned nails without taking the time to elaborate - I think you have been round these parts long enough to notice that nails or not can be some bone of contention, so thanks for the points but yes I am fairly up to speed with the issues. I've spent plenty to time looking into these things myself (hence the Panormo, p/ex'd for a Staufer a few years ago) and have basically come to the conclusion that pretty much anything one might find as evidence from one source will be roundly contradicted by another source, so I admire and slightly tremble for your ambitions in offering generalised guidance here.
I think you'd find you'd get several nice Panormos for the resale value of your Smallman :wink:
Louis Panormo (1838)

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Postby Stephen Kenyon » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:41 pm

kertsopoulos wrote:
Daniel Nistico wrote:If you have evidence that suggests 19th century guitarists were not using nails at all, then I'd love to hear it and add it to my collection!

Hi again Daniel, it was Dionisio Aguado a friend of Fernando Sor(s), whom recorded history has him to prefer the flesh without using nails at all, contrary to Sor's preference of the nails.

I think you find you've accidentally got this the wrong way round; it was Sor insisted on no nails, Aguado who used nails (though at one point said he'd have preferred to use no nails but it was too late to re-learn or something to that effect ... and still advocated nails long after Sor's death, so I think he was probably just being polite to his friend and neighbour).
Louis Panormo (1838)

kertsopoulos

Postby kertsopoulos » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:22 pm

Stephen Kenyon wrote:
kertsopoulos wrote:

I think you find you've accidentally got this the wrong way round; it was Sor insisted on no nails, Aguado who used nails (though at one point said he'd have preferred to use no nails but it was too late to re-learn or something to that effect ... and still advocated nails long after Sor's death, so I think he was probably just being polite to his friend and neighbour).

Yes Stephen, thank you for correcting my mistake, it was Sor who insisted on the no nail playing, I switched them around by mistake. Thanks again for your kind correction, all best, Yorgos

Return to “Members' Announcements”