New Podcast/Video Series: Play Like a 19th Century Guitarist

Under this heading you can announce your own events and work products, including the publications of books, magazines, sheet music, CDs, videos, guitars you build, professional events like shows, training courses, festivals and competitions. Any member of the forum who wishes, may open a thread in this forum (but only one) using his/her name for the promotion of their efforts without limitation on the number of posts.
Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Re: New Podcast/Video Series: Play Like a 19th Century Guitarist

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:26 pm

kertsopoulos wrote: Yes Stephen, thank you for correcting my mistake, it was Sor who insisted on the no nail playing, I switched them around by mistake. Thanks again for your kind correction, all best, Yorgos
Not to worry Yorgos, its very easily done - and of course easily fixed; after all, we can't have innocent readers getting the wrong impression unnecessarily :D
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

Daniel Nistico

Post by Daniel Nistico » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:56 pm

Thanks Stephen and Yorgos both for your input! Yes, I believe Sor did insist on playing without nails (I don't remember his exact words), but the contradictions that you so often find (thanks for mentioning Stephen :D) already surface here, because it seems that Sor did use nails to produce certain effects. So yes, it can definitely sometimes be difficult to come to conclusions. But I just want to present the information that is in the method books and try to apply them to pieces, and often these instructions apply well to other genres/styles of music, which is a bonus!

Stephen - I do love my Smallman and use it for concerts (also with my wife/flute partner), but I do sometimes ponder over what other options I could explore if I did sell it...

I also had some questions for you about playing a Panormo, if you don't mind :) Do you use nails, or flesh, or both? If you don't use nails at all, do you find that you're still able to get the Oboe/Horn nasal type sounds by playing close to the bridge? I am very curious because I have only played a Panormo a couple of times with nails, and back then I wasn't aware of these orchestral effects. I also wonder if you think these tonal effects are even more powerful on a Panormo than on a modern guitar?

This is for everyone: I do want to mention that now with the incredible resource of the internet, we are able to access many more historic documents than ever before. I would like to please encourage people to read the 19th century method books that are available to us (not just Sor's and Aguado's), because there is new information and repertoire in them that is not explored very much today. Pratten's 'Guitar School' is one great example that has some pretty revolutionary information contained within. There are also many great materials for learning about harmony and ornamentation that are not explored much in modern method books.

I've so far written about three of these method books, and I've provided a link where you can download them also (they're free/public domain) - http://danielnistico.weebly.com/the-res ... arist.html

Cheers,
Daniel

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:21 pm

Daniel Nistico wrote:...
I also had some questions for you about playing a Panormo, if you don't mind :) Do you use nails, or flesh, or both? If you don't use nails at all, do you find that you're still able to get the Oboe/Horn nasal type sounds by playing close to the bridge? I am very curious because I have only played a Panormo a couple of times with nails, and back then I wasn't aware of these orchestral effects. I also wonder if you think these tonal effects are even more powerful on a Panormo than on a modern guitar?....l
With the Panormo (which doesn't come out of its case nearly as often as it should) I use want I would think of as a largely Aguado approach - in other words, a fairly modern technique. In other words I'm not really trying to sound anything like the majority of players in 1838 probably sounded.
The tone of a Panormo, presumably because of the simple fan strutting, is a fairly modern sound (compared with a Staufer for example), though with distinct characteristics. In general the sound doesn't offer that much difference in variety etc, though the playability and overall feel, steer one in a different direction perhaps, than the modern types of instrument. I should add that I don't use gut strings, which would change the whole feel again (literally), at the moment it has Nylgut on.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

Daniel Nistico

Post by Daniel Nistico » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:44 pm

Thanks for your descriptions about the Panormo! I do remember the one that I played having similar characteristics to a modern guitar overall, however I thought that the different tonal quality of each string was much more pronounced, especially from the basses to the trebles. I believe the one I played also had Nylgut strings, so it would be interesting to try one with gut strings.

Thank you again, and please stay in touch :)
Daniel

Feynman

Post by Feynman » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:33 pm

Thanks for sharing this with us, Daniel. I've been reading some of the great resources on your site and appreciate the effort. I will continue to watch as it develops.
-mitch

Return to “Members' Announcements”