New Ebook: Play Your Dream Pieces - Recuerdos de la Alhambra

Under this heading you can announce your own events and work products, including the publications of books, magazines, sheet music, CDs, videos, guitars you build, professional events like shows, training courses, festivals and competitions. Any member of the forum who wishes, may open a thread in this forum (but only one) using his/her name for the promotion of their efforts without limitation on the number of posts.
Daniel Nistico

New Ebook: Play Your Dream Pieces - Recuerdos de la Alhambra

Post by Daniel Nistico » Mon May 22, 2017 12:51 am

Are there pieces that you have always wanted to play, but are told they are too difficult? Your colleagues or teachers might say something like "maybe in two or three years you can play that..."

Then what ends up happening? You start playing boring etudes and simple pieces that don't motivate you. Your passion for practicing starts to dwindle and your guitar starts to build up dust.

If this sounds familiar to you, then I'm here to give you a different story. First I'll tell you my story, then I'll tell you how you can rewrite yours.

When I first learned the guitar, I was taught by my father. You know what the very first things he taught me were? Pieces of music that I wanted to learn. My dad was playing gorgeous pieces of music everyday at home, and I wanted to learn some of them!

I was very motivated to play these pieces that would normally be considered much too advanced for someone first starting to learn. But I just darn wanted to play these pieces and that desire fueled my motivation, which in turn fueled my discipline and work habits - I was practicing a lot!

After six months or so of playing the guitar, I started to learn pieces like Sevilla, Un Sueno en la Floresta, and Variations on a Theme by Mozart. I still remember my first lesson with a teacher other than my dad. I played Sor's Variations on a Theme by Mozart for my new teacher. He then asked me to play a certain passage with a rest stroke. I then asked him, "what's a rest stroke?".

While I might not have known some basic techniques and rudiments of music, I had memorized advanced pieces in a short amount of time. I did it almost purely from motivation - I just darn wanted to play those pieces!!

There's also one more important part to the story. This is the part that might rewrite your story. I discovered how to simplify the pieces I was learning - break them down into small chunks and practice each voice individually (just melody, just bass line, etc.).

I want to pass this method to you, so I am now starting a new series of books called Play Your Dream Pieces, which make virtually any piece of music playable for guitarists of any level. The first piece in the series is Tarrega's Recuerdos de la Alhambra. Have you ever dreamed of playing this piece? (Even if you can play it already, I think the materials in this book will help you enhance many different aspects of your musicality and technical command.)

I know you're probably thinking that this is an impossible task - "how can something so advanced be simplified so that it's playable by virtually any guitarist?". Well, here is the method behind the madness.

The book is divided up into two main sections. The first section breaks down Recuerdos de la Alhambra into its constituent parts (or voices).

The tremolo has three voice; a melody (soprano), middle (tenor), and lower (bass). In my book, I have written out each voice individually in full, so you can practice them with ease. I have also written out different pairs of voices - melody and bass, melody and tenor, tenor and bass. Finally I condensed Recuerdos de la Alhambra into a chord progression. If you can play all of that material well, then I guarantee that playing the actual piece will become much easier.

The second part of the book goes into depth about some practice strategies to enhance both musicality and technical security.

If you would like to purchase the book and/or watch two videos about it, you can do so at http://danielnistico.weebly.com/dream-p ... erdos.html. It's $10 USD and I'm positive that you'll get many quality hours worth of material to work with (thank Tarrega for that!).

I'd love to know what pieces you've dreamed of playing, please send me your list!

Warm regards,
Daniel

Pede

Re: New Ebook: Play Your Dream Pieces - Recuerdos de la Alhambra

Post by Pede » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:01 pm

Thats an interesting way of practising the the tremolo. I think this can help for play it with more security, which is especialy important on the second en third strings. Thanks.
Gert Petersen 2000, Spr-BRW, Felipe Conde FP17 Negro, Santos Hernandez 1932 S-BRW, Asturias 10 string s-IRW, Ramirez 1a Especial 2014, Bernabe M5 S, Bert Kwakkel Merula 1982, Baroque guitar by Martin de Witte

Daniel Nistico

Re: New Ebook: Play Your Dream Pieces - Recuerdos de la Alhambra

Post by Daniel Nistico » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:15 am

Thank you Pede! I appreciate the lovely feedback :)

Return to “Members' Announcements”