Show the process

Under this heading you can announce your own events and work products, including the publications of books, magazines, sheet music, CDs, videos, guitars you build, professional events like shows, training courses, festivals and competitions. Any member of the forum who wishes, may open a thread in this forum (but only one) using his/her name for the promotion of their efforts without limitation on the number of posts.
Matthew McAllister
Concert performers

Show the process

Post by Matthew McAllister » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:17 pm

Hi folks,

I am keeping a daily practice log, a little snippet of my practice each day and some info about what I am doing and how I am doing it.
I thought it would be a nice little insight on to the types of things I get up to in my practice. These are short videos no more than a couple of minutes long, captured straight to my camera phone.

I have a new project that I am working towards recording, my last two solo albums have been French Collection and Celtic Collection and this new recording will be American Collection. When working on something new like this I try to practice every single day.

Here are the first two days.

20th June
Some late night practice going on. The fast / slow / fast / slow / fast / etc etc etc.... method.

Youtube

21st June
More late night practice going on. Trying out some different right hand fingerings for some Ralph Towner.

Youtube

You can keep up to date with all my goings on at the links below:

https://www.facebook.com/matthewmcallisterguitar/

https://twitter.com/McAllisterpluck

http://matthewmcallister.com/

Kurt Penner

Re: Show the process

Post by Kurt Penner » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:34 pm

Hooray for Köln Concert IIc! I loved Barrueco's transcription on Sometime Ago. My fave CG album of all time. So glad you are taking on this challenge, Matthew.

KP

Matthew McAllister
Concert performers

Post by Matthew McAllister » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:43 pm

22nd June
Another late night practice session. Trying to keep a sense of legato and flow whilst crisp little ornaments flash in and out.

Youtube

Matthew McAllister
Concert performers

Post by Matthew McAllister » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:31 pm

26th June
Here I am trying different colours and right hand ideas for little runs in Toledo by Ralph Towner. You can see how little I use my middle finger and how repeating the A finger is a good choice for maintaining sound on a line.

Youtube

Matthew McAllister
Concert performers

Post by Matthew McAllister » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:32 pm

Kurt Penner wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:34 pm
Hooray for Köln Concert IIc! I loved Barrueco's transcription on Sometime Ago. My fave CG album of all time. So glad you are taking on this challenge, Matthew.

KP
Hi Kurt,

This is actually one of the Chick Corea Children's songs but you given me inspiration to re-vist Barrueco's arrangements of the Jarrett!

Best wishes,

Matthew

Smith

Post by Smith » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:14 am

These are great! I really appreciate you sharing these videos here. All the best to you!

Kurt Penner

Post by Kurt Penner » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:44 am

Matthew McAllister wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:32 pm
Kurt Penner wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:34 pm

KP
Hi Kurt,

This is actually one of the Chick Corea Children's songs but you given me inspiration to re-vist Barrueco's arrangements of the Jarrett!

Best wishes,

Matthew
Even better! I get two pieces from my fave album!

KP

Matthew McAllister
Concert performers

Post by Matthew McAllister » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:28 pm

Smith wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:14 am
These are great! I really appreciate you sharing these videos here. All the best to you!
Thanks! :D

Matthew McAllister
Concert performers

Post by Matthew McAllister » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:32 pm

17th July
Some more late night work and this time on a passage from the Chaconne by Bach. Trying to work on slurs, maintaining lines inside & out and dampening resonances.

Youtube

Matthew McAllister
Concert performers

Post by Matthew McAllister » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:38 am

Slur and position change work in the wee small hours of the morning. Opening of Oleander Etude by Ralph Towner which will end up on American Collection later this year.

Youtube

DevonBadger

Post by DevonBadger » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:55 am

Thanks Matthew.

Really useful to clearly see that the pull-off movement is actually pull-down, i.e. down to the next string rather than away from the fretboard, which is more common with rock guitarists I think.

Still no idea how you manage to control the amount of spring-back of the slurred string mind. Probably by doing what you're doing here... practice, practice, practice!

Matthew McAllister
Concert performers

Post by Matthew McAllister » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:32 pm

DevonBadger wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:55 am
Thanks Matthew.

Really useful to clearly see that the pull-off movement is actually pull-down, i.e. down to the next string rather than away from the fretboard, which is more common with rock guitarists I think.

Still no idea how you manage to control the amount of spring-back of the slurred string mind. Probably by doing what you're doing here... practice, practice, practice!
I find that controlling spring back and generally keeping the fingers as close as I can gets better through really slow practice and being mindful of both my movements before fretting a note and after when releasing. I try to give both an equal amount of importance when working slowly and it does get better this way.

Matthew McAllister
Concert performers

Post by Matthew McAllister » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:36 pm

A new peek into my world of practice and preparation for the new album. This is a little bit of my work today which was focused around campanella scales and slurs all in moto-perpetuo.

Youtube

All building strength and stamina ahead of #americancollection this is a snippet of the Oleander Etude by Ralph Towner.

sxedio

Post by sxedio » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:56 pm

Nice repertoire choices, especially Towner!
(Gr) (En) (very little Fr)

Chris

Post by Chris » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:40 pm

Such an inspiring peek into the workshop, thanks a ton, really :)

Return to “Members' Announcements”