New guitar student ready to learn

Under this heading you can announce your own events and work products, including the publications of books, magazines, sheet music, CDs, videos, guitars you build, professional events like shows, training courses, festivals and competitions. Any member of the forum who wishes, may open a thread in this forum (but only one) using his/her name for the promotion of their efforts without limitation on the number of posts.
Michael L

New guitar student ready to learn

Post by Michael L » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:45 am

Yesterday, I collected a second hand Cordoba c7 from somebody thinning down his extensive guitar collection. The seller had owned the Cordoba since new and it's in pristine condition and has obviously been extremely well cared for. I am delighted with it - especially as I paid around a third of the new price - the wonder of that well known auction site. I was told that it had been professionally set up and as far as I can tell it will be easy to play. I told the seller of my previous experience with CG some years ago where I tried to run before I could walk and I became frustrated. By the way, my electronic projects often failed too because I was so eager to switch on.
Anyway I am now older and wiser, and hopefully a bit more patient - my recently constructed diy valve preamplifiers started up with no smoke at all!
I want to pace myself this time and stay well away from the likes of Bach until I am ready. The seller recommended I buy books with easy pieces initially and to make sure I practise scales, especially the chromatic scale. Could anyone here suggest any resources? From my previous foray I have 'The Classic Guitar Collection' - Volumes 1-3. I will look for a teacher.

anonynb

Re: New guitar student ready to learn

Post by anonynb » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:08 am

Great choice on Cordoba, I had one from the same brand, and I'm very happy with it. I'm a beginner, so I can't make any suggestion, but I found that i'm making progress by practicing F. Carulli book, as well as learning playing songs like e.g Feste lariane, Serenade..

Bernhard Heimann

Post by Bernhard Heimann » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:52 pm

Hi Michael,

the Sagreras method is a brilliant step-by-step introduction to classical guitar technique.
Each exercise will add to your technical abilities - and most of the exercises themselves are nice pieces of music.
It can be found here:
http://www.guitarraclasicadelcamp.com/p ... reras.html
If you're not sure where you stand, start with "Las Primeras Lecciones".

Bernhard

Michael L

Post by Michael L » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:21 pm

Bernhard Heimann wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:52 pm
Hi Michael,

the Sagreras method is a brilliant step-by-step introduction to classical guitar technique.
Each exercise will add to your technical abilities - and most of the exercises themselves are nice pieces of music.
It can be found here:
http://www.guitarraclasicadelcamp.com/p ... reras.html
If you're not sure where you stand, start with "Las Primeras Lecciones".

Bernhard
Thanks Bernhard. I started on the Sagreras method after looking at this ...

Youtube

I feel I've made a little progress this afternoon.

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:43 pm

"I will look for a teacher" - the wisest words :D
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

davekear

Post by davekear » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:47 am

Yes. A teacher when you're first starting out is the best thing you can do. There is no substitute. Fun too.

Rick Hutt

Post by Rick Hutt » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:28 pm

I agree about seeking out a teacher. And I second the endorsement of the Sagreras series.
2010 Pimentel & Sons Concert Grand
1970 Taurus (Barcelona)
2009 Ramundi flamenco blanca
1962 Martin 0-16
2000 Martin 000-18
1963 Epiphone 12 Str

Michael L

Post by Michael L » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:29 pm

I'm still looking for a teacher. Meanwhile I am working on the Sagreras exercises and have ordered the first three books publication. Thanks for the support.

Michael L

Post by Michael L » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:49 am

Could someone please recommend scales exercises. I have found some chromatic scale exercises in Sagreras Las Primeras Lecciones where each note has marked two fingers like im, am . Should I play each note with each finger indicated serially before moving to the next note?

Rasputin

Post by Rasputin » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:38 am

Michael L wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:49 am
Should I play each note with each finger indicated serially before moving to the next note?
Could they be two separate exercises, i.e. first play the whole thing - each note once - using im, then do it again using mi, then ma, etc.? If one letter is above the other then they are probably meant to be separate lines.

Michael L

Post by Michael L » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:26 pm

Bernhard Heimann

Post by Bernhard Heimann » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:51 pm

Hi Michael,

this scale should be played in two different ways: alternating i-m and then alternating m-a.
If you are looking for scale exercises: The Delcamp collections
viewforum.php?f=57
with graded pieces also contain scale exercises suitable for the corresponding level. Highly recommended!
You might find that going from Sagreras Primeras Lecciones to the Segundas Lecciones is a very big step.
That's where the Delcamp collection D02 might fill the gap.

Bernhard

Michael L

Post by Michael L » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:22 pm

Bernhard Heimann wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:51 pm
Hi Michael,

this scale should be played in two different ways: alternating i-m and then alternating m-a.
viewforum.php?f=57
with graded pieces also contain scale exercises suitable for the corresponding level. Highly recommended!
You might find that going from Sagreras Primeras Lecciones to the Segundas Lecciones is a very big step.

Bernhard
Just to clarify, should I use i for the first note, m for the second, i for the third until the end then m for the first, a for the second, m for the third and so on? I don't play the same note twice do i before playing the second. I want to get this right. Thanks

Paul Janssen

Post by Paul Janssen » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:59 pm

Michael L wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:22 pm
Bernhard Heimann wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:51 pm
Hi Michael,

viewforum.php?f=57

Bernhard
Just to clarify, should I use i for the first note, m for the second, i for the third until the end then m for the first, a for the second, m for the third and so on? I don't play the same note twice do i before playing the second. I want to get this right. Thanks
Yes you are correct. As you are a beginner, you would normally play the first note with i, the second note with m, the third with i etc through to the end of the scale. Then do the same for m-a (first note m, second note a, third note m etc). However, I would also encourage you to swap your leading finger. So for i-m you would actually start on m for the first note, i for the second etc. I would also encourage you to use i-a fingerings. And lastly, you will want to play the scales with both Rest Stroke and Free Stroke.

Michael L

Post by Michael L » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:17 pm

Thanks Rasputin, Bernhard and Paul. I feel more confident now that I will be doing the right thing.

Return to “Members' Announcements”