James Lister - luthier

Under this heading you can announce your own events and work products, including the publications of books, magazines, sheet music, CDs, videos, guitars you build, professional events like shows, training courses, festivals and competitions. Any member of the forum who wishes, may open a thread in this forum (but only one) using his/her name for the promotion of their efforts without limitation on the number of posts.
James Lister
Luthier

James Lister - luthier

Post by James Lister » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:43 pm

Dear Delcamp members!

Well, I’ve been around on this forum for a while now, and thought perhaps it was time I put in a plug for my guitars here.

All of my guitars are hand made in the Spanish tradition in my workshop in Sheffield, UK. Originally most of my guitars were based on the instruments of Herman Hauser I, and although the outline and dimensions of my guitars have remained the same, I now use a slightly modified strutting pattern which produces slightly brighter trebles, more projection, and a bit more “sparkle” everywhere!

I mostly use European spruce for the tops, and have a small stock (which I am always trying to increase!) of aged spruce, mostly around 25 years old. My standard guitar has East Indian rosewood back and sides, although I also have ziricote, walnut, flamed and bird’s-eye maple in stock, and have recently obtained some very nice Brazilian rosewood.

For more information on my guitars, contact details, audio samples and lots more photos, you can visit my website at:

http://www.jameslisterguitars.co.uk

Best wishes,

James

Last edited by James Lister on Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:28 am, edited 3 times in total.
James Lister, luthier, Sheffield UK

Vesuvio

Post by Vesuvio » Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:41 pm

Hello James,

I was very interested to read your message and have also had a fresh look around your website today—I have visited before.

You make very beautiful instruments and the sound samples are wonderful. I wish you every success,

Best wishes, V :bravo:
"There are only two things worth aiming for, good music and a clean conscience." Paul Hindemith

tritone

Post by tritone » Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:49 pm

Hello jmdlister,

That is a beautiful guitar! I want to wish you the best of luck. I wish could play your guitars I'm sure they play as fantastic as they look.
You deserve the best in compensation!

Good Luck
JR

James Lister
Luthier

Post by James Lister » Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:03 pm

Thanks Vesuvio and tritone for your kind words. :merci:

Vesuvio - If you're ever near Sheffield, you're very welcome to drop by for a visit - no sales pitch, promise!

James

Vesuvio

Post by Vesuvio » Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:15 pm

jmdlister wrote:...If you're ever near Sheffield, you're very welcome to drop by for a visit...
Thank you James,

I would love to take up your invitation but I don't get down your way very often. I will certainly contact you if I am coming anywhere near.

Best wishes, V :D
"There are only two things worth aiming for, good music and a clean conscience." Paul Hindemith

Jose-Guitarra8a

Post by Jose-Guitarra8a » Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:32 am

James,

Visited your website. Very nice guitars you're building over there in England. What is it about Englishmen and guitars? It seems that English Luthiers have the corner market on refined, sweet sounding guitars.

Jose

James Lister
Luthier

Post by James Lister » Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:41 am

guitarra8a wrote:James,
Visited your website. Very nice guitars you're building over there in England. What is it about Englishmen and guitars? It seems that English Luthiers have the corner market on refined, sweet sounding guitars.
Jose
Thanks for the comments. Not sure if we've cornered the market (yet!), but there's a lot of good makers here these days.

James

James Lister
Luthier

Post by James Lister » Fri May 25, 2007 2:43 pm

Greetings all,

Just an update to let you know that I will be exhibiting my guitars at the GFA convention in LA in October this year. Details of the convention can be found here:

guitar foundation.org/drupal/convention

I'm planning to have two guitars to show - one fairly standard "Hauser" model, spruce top, rosewood back and sides. The other will be a little more unusual, with Bird's-eye maple back and sides, an aged (>25 years) spruce top, V-joint, and some rather nice Allessi tuners.

If there's anything more you want to know about my guitars, please post a reply, or send me a PM, I'm happy to answer any questions.

Alternatively you can visit my website at :

James
Last edited by James Lister on Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

tritone

Post by tritone » Fri May 25, 2007 4:12 pm

I'll try to make it to the convention this year in LA see you there.

Out ... JR

Norman Spencer

Beauty!

Post by Norman Spencer » Fri May 25, 2007 6:49 pm

JMDL, your guitars are gorgeous. I especially like the looks of the flamed maple. How does the tone compare to the usual Indian rosewood?
When I can afford one, I would love to contact you. Do you ship overseas? My location is Canada.

Azalais

Post by Azalais » Fri May 25, 2007 7:41 pm

James, if you want to sign up for the Delcamp "members-in-every-city hostel" system... and add a layover in Miami to your itinerary... just say the word!

Congratulations!

owl

Post by owl » Sat May 26, 2007 12:32 am

jmdlister wrote:
Here's a Bird's-eye maple guitar I made a few years ago:
She looks beautiful James... and I'm sure she sounds as good as she looks.

Have fun at the convention... you will have a ball meeting all the other luthiers as well :lol:

Ol
Never, ever give up!... I leave my songprint on your heart.

James Lister
Luthier

Re: Beauty!

Post by James Lister » Sat May 26, 2007 7:43 am

Thanks for the comments everyone. :D
cancon wrote:JDL, your guitars are gorgeous. I especially like the looks of the flamed maple. How does the tone compare to the usual Indian rosewood?
When I can afford one, I would love to contact you. Do you ship overseas? My location is Canada.
There's a discussion on the relative tones of maple and rosewood here:

viewtopic.php?t=17027&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc

I describe the tone as "creamier" than rosewood, and I was pleased to find that this description made sense to some of the other contributors to the topic. I have to say the difference is fairly subtle though.

Shipping overseas is not a problem, although it adds to the cost a bit of course. I'm actually just finishing a guitar for a customer in Toronto.

James

James Lister
Luthier

Post by James Lister » Sat May 26, 2007 7:51 am

Azalais wrote:James, if you want to sign up for the Delcamp "members-in-every-city hostel" system... and add a layover in Miami to your itinerary... just say the word!

Congratulations!
I hadn't heard about the "members-in-every-city hostel" system - sign me up! It would be great to stop over in Miami - but I'm already very nervous about travelling with 2 guitars, so I'm minimising the risk of loss/damage (I hope) by flying direct. Thanks very much for the offer though. :D

James

James Lister
Luthier

Post by James Lister » Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:57 am

Hi Folks,

Just another update to let you know where you can see some of my latest creations. I will be exhibiting my guitars at the Dundee Guitar Festival:
http://www.dundeeguitarfestival.com/
from the 6th to the 8th of July.

I'm hoping to be showing the Bird's-eye maple guitar I'm making for the GFA convention, and one or two of my more standard rosewood/spruce Hauser model guitars.

The Los Angeles Guitar Quartet will be there, as will our very own Matthew McAllister (merula).

For more information on my guitars, contact details, audio samples and lots more photos, please visit my website at:

James
Last edited by James Lister on Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Members' Announcements”