James Lister - luthier

Under this heading you can announce your own events and work products, including the publications of books, magazines, sheet music, CDs, videos, guitars you build, professional events like shows, training courses, festivals and competitions. Any member of the forum who wishes, may open a thread in this forum (but only one) using his/her name for the promotion of their efforts without limitation on the number of posts.
Jose-Guitarra8a

Re: James Lister Handbuilt Classical Guitars

Postby Jose-Guitarra8a » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:14 pm

Beautiful cedar guitar. I especially like the 12 hole tie-block in the way the bass strings slant one way and the trebles slant the other way. Cheers and good luck in the festival

James Lister
Moderator & Luthier
Moderator & Luthier

Re: James Lister - luthier

Postby James Lister » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:00 pm

Here's some better pics of the new cedar guitar. Although I'm generally not a huge fan of cedar, I do think it works well for some types of music. I also find as a player (of limitied abilities!) it's easier for me to get a warm, rich tone than it is with spruce. I probably wouldn't choose it for Bach, but it's great for Villa-Lobos!

Front.jpg

Back.jpg

Bridge.jpg

James
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
James Lister, luthier, Sheffield UK

nerdz1

Postby nerdz1 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:43 am

WOW. Beautiful guitar there James.

James Lister
Moderator & Luthier
Moderator & Luthier

Postby James Lister » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:43 pm

Thanks nerdz1.

Here's some pics of my latest commission - Lutz spruce top, ziricote back and sides, cedrilla neck, ebony fingerboard, French polish finish.

This is the first time I've put an armrest on one of my guitars. The armrest is glued to the bindings/purflings, but is undercut so it doesn't touch the moving part of the soundboard. The size and shape were as requested by the customer. At first I though it might be a bit long, but in the end I was very happy with the way it blends in to the shape of the lower bout and waist.

TopZs.jpg

Head01.jpg

Back01.jpg

James
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Erik Zurcher

Postby Erik Zurcher » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:19 pm

Very elegant armrest, James. On one of my guitars I have an armrest with suction cups, very comfortable but also most unelegant. I think you should put one on every guitar you produce from now on. It's very comfortable for a player, no more red marks on the inside of the forearm. Maybe you could even make them shorter (in length)?
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

James Lister
Moderator & Luthier
Moderator & Luthier

Postby James Lister » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:16 pm

Thanks Erik,

I don't think I'll put them on my guitars as standard, but I will probably be using them more often now. I'm currently building a Bird's-eye maple guitar with one - this time a bit shorter. I'm also planning one that is detachable, held in position by rare earth magnets. This is my prefered option, but a bit more difficult to make.

James

Vesavekkuli
Amateur luthier

Postby Vesavekkuli » Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:31 pm

Erik Zurcher wrote:Very elegant armrest, James. On one of my guitars I have an armrest with suction cups, very comfortable but also most unelegant. I think you should put one on every guitar you produce from now on. It's very comfortable for a player, no more red marks on the inside of the forearm. Maybe you could even make them shorter (in length)?

James and Erik, the lenght of the rest should cover the whole area where your arm is moving in order to use the whole range of colours of guitar as well as pizzicato and artificial harmonics. That's why now, I think, the rest in the picture could even be longer. Otherwise, the guitars of yours, James, look for me noble and precious.

James Lister
Moderator & Luthier
Moderator & Luthier

Postby James Lister » Wed May 02, 2012 7:44 pm

Vesavekkuli wrote:James and Erik, the lenght of the rest should cover the whole area where your arm is moving in order to use the whole range of colours of guitar as well as pizzicato and artificial harmonics. That's why now, I think, the rest in the picture could even be longer. Otherwise, the guitars of yours, James, look for me noble and precious.

Thanks for the comments. :merci:
Interesting that you think the armrest could be even longer - the one I've made here is the longest I've seen. Many are quite a lot shorter. This one certainly covers my full range of movement, but perhaps other players use more movement than I do.

James

James Lister
Moderator & Luthier
Moderator & Luthier

Postby James Lister » Mon May 14, 2012 5:03 pm

Just a few photos of a recently completed commission...

Head01S.jpg

Front04S.jpg

Back01S.jpg

James

dean01

Postby dean01 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:50 pm

Greetings James,

First time on the forum and have resisted for soooo long! However the temptations behind the previously forbidden jpegs of your recently completed guitars proved too much of a draw and so here I am! Lovely work on the maple guitars - the detail is just getting better and better and look forward to being able to access the mp3's soon to check out the sounds!

All the best,

Martin

George Crocket

Postby George Crocket » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:33 am

Hi Martin.

Welcome to the Delcamp classical guitar forum.

If you have not already done so, please have a look at our welcome page for more information about the forum and its rules, then please introduce yourself here for a proper welcome.
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

James Lister
Moderator & Luthier
Moderator & Luthier

Postby James Lister » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:47 am

Hi Martin,

Welcome to Delcamp!

Sorry I missed your post before - thanks for the comments!

Hope to see more of you on the forum soon.

James

James Lister
Moderator & Luthier
Moderator & Luthier

Postby James Lister » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:52 am

Off to Scotland this afternoon to exhibit at the Classical Guitar Retreat on the Isle of Cumbrae over the weekend.

Just managed to get this guitar finished in time. Spruce top, Madagascar rosewood back and sides, Alessi tuners, V-joint.

Only just got the strings on, so a bit early to tell, but sounding very promising!

Edit: This guitar is now available for sale here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=72132

Top079.jpg

Rosette079.jpg

Head079.jpg

BackSides079.jpg

Back079.jpg

James

Tomzooki

Postby Tomzooki » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:54 pm

your guitars are splendid!!! :mrgreen:
Benoît Raby, Engelmann sp/Ziricote
Yamaha GC-3A
11-strings alto guitar by Heikki Rousu, sp/indonesian RW

George Crocket

Postby George Crocket » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:41 pm

Tomzooki wrote:your guitars are splendid!!! :mrgreen: