James Lister - luthier

Under this heading you can announce your own events and work products, including the publications of books, magazines, sheet music, CDs, videos, guitars you build, professional events like shows, training courses, festivals and competitions. Any member of the forum who wishes, may open a thread in this forum (but only one) using his/her name for the promotion of their efforts without limitation on the number of posts.
Erik Zurcher

Re: James Lister - luthier

Postby Erik Zurcher » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:39 am

Very nice guitar, James! Will you build guitars with elevated fretboards more often now?
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

Vito Simplicio
Composer & Moderator
Composer & Moderator

Postby Vito Simplicio » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:48 am

James Lister wrote:I've always been a bit unsure about the aesthetics of the elevated fingerboard, but in the end I was very pleased with it....

As you should be, James. It's a real beauty!
( vitO )===:::

Oberg (2008)
Takamine C136S (1977)

Classical Guitar Forum

James Lister
Moderator & Luthier
Moderator & Luthier

Postby James Lister » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:22 pm

Erik Zurcher wrote:Very nice guitar, James! Will you build guitars with elevated fretboards more often now?

Thanks Erik and Vito!

I don't think it will ever become a standard feature on my guitars, but I'm certainly going to offer it as an option now. For this guitar I definitely underestimated the amount of extra time it would take to construct - but hopefully next time it will be quicker!

James
James Lister, luthier, Sheffield UK

riemsesy

Postby riemsesy » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:52 pm

very nice.. liked it on FB already
haven't seen a compensated nut before. it makes the g string shorter?
Best regards,
Richard Frank

brooks

Postby brooks » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:06 am

a real stunner, James. i'm a fan of the raised FB. ports and a 20th fret can't be far behind! :wink:

James Lister
Moderator & Luthier
Moderator & Luthier

Postby James Lister » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:38 pm

riemsesy wrote:very nice.. liked it on FB already
haven't seen a compensated nut before. it makes the g string shorter?

Yes - in the same way the g string needs more compensation at the saddle, it also gives the greatest intonation error at the nut (i.e. between the open string and the 1st fret). It's explained in more detail on Greg Byer's website (click on the "Research" link). I'll probably try it on one of my standard guitars soon, and decide if I think it's worth pursuing.

James

James Lister
Moderator & Luthier
Moderator & Luthier

Postby James Lister » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:40 pm

brooks wrote:a real stunner, James. i'm a fan of the raised FB. ports and a 20th fret can't be far behind! :wink:

Thanks! I have already used ports and 20th frets, but so far only at customers requests. As with the elevated fingerboard, I don't think they'll become standard features, but they're all available as options.

James

James Lister
Moderator & Luthier
Moderator & Luthier

Postby James Lister » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:51 am

Over a year ago in this thread I posted a picture of an experimental guitar I've been working on, and promised more photos and information, and after a reminder in another thread, I thought I should finally post something.

The idea was to build a guitar with a really thin top, but with (more or less) traditional fan bracing. At best I was hoping to get a traditional tone with more volume, but at the least I wanted to better understand the influence of top thickness on tone, without changing the bracing. The problem with using standard fan bracing on a very thin top, is that it's difficult to provide enough support against the string tension. There are other issues as well of course, but after some input form an associate with an engineering background, I decided to play around with cancelling the torque of the strings - hence the internal string.

Apart from the changes to the top, the guitar also has an adjustable neck, radiused fingerboard, aluminium pin saddles and a new head shape.

Anyway, I think that's enough words - here's some pictures.

Dsc_0084.jpg

Dsc_0093.jpg

Dsc_0094.jpg

Bridge.JPG

Dsc_8330.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kloeten

Postby kloeten » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:24 pm

Very interesting thought of that internal string to cancel torque!

James Lister
Moderator & Luthier
Moderator & Luthier

Postby James Lister » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:53 pm

kloeten wrote:Very interesting thought of that internal string to cancel torque!

~Thanks.

The string is actually a continuation of the 3rd (g) string, which passes through a hole in the top (as do all the strings), and then passes over a post, and returns to tie off on a steel bar close to the heel block. The post is high enough to increase the torque by a factor of between 4 and 5, so that the single string almost completely balances the torque of the other strings.

James

ChristianSchwengeler
Luthier

Postby ChristianSchwengeler » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:08 pm

Very interesting your build. Do you have some sound samples of it? I am curious how it sounds. Does it sound different? All the best

riemsesy

Postby riemsesy » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:16 pm

It will be known as the 'Listar' :)
Best regards,
Richard Frank

James Lister
Moderator & Luthier
Moderator & Luthier

Postby James Lister » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:46 pm

ChristianSchwengeler wrote:Very interesting your build. Do you have some sound samples of it? I am curious how it sounds. Does it sound different? All the best

No sound sample yet.

Yes, it does sound different. Some players really like it, but to me it's lacking something that I can't quite put my finger on. It perhaps has a little bit of the quality of some lattice guitars - not really nasal, but a bit "thin" in some places (mostly middle range). The bass is really nice, although the body resonance is a bit too close to the open E, and the trebles are sweet. It has a bit more volume than my "standard" guitars, but not as much as I was looking for from such a lightweight top.

This is actually the second version of this experiment. I've recently taken the back off the Mk. 1 guitar, and am in the process of making it a bit more radical - reducing the weight of the top and the bridge (and the internal "bridge"), and taking even more off the bracing to see how far I can go with it.

James

simonm
Amateur luthier

Postby simonm » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:20 pm

Great looking instrument. First time I have ever seen external braces. Very interesting. Thanks for posting it.

James Lister
Moderator & Luthier
Moderator & Luthier

Postby James Lister » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:34 pm

Thanks Simon,

There is a reason for the external braces. When the Mk. 1 guitar was first strung up, I wasn't at all happy with the sound. I decided it needed more transverse bracing, and rather than take the back off, I thought I'd glue them on the outside, so that I could adjust them easily (this was a guitar that I was never going to sell anyway.) In the end I decided I like the look of them on the outside - they broke up what was otherwise a very large expanse of spruce with the bridge being so small - so on the Mk. 2 guitar I just kept them on the outside.

My standard guitars have two similar transverse bars on the inside, but you'll see from the photo of the inside that this one has two more transverse braces spaced further out. If you think of the internal and external braces together, it starts to look a bit like a lattice, but although the top thickness is similar to a Smallman type lattice, the bracing is MUCH less stiff.

James

Return to “Members' Announcements”