James Lister - luthier

Under this heading you can announce your own events and work products, including the publications of books, magazines, sheet music, CDs, videos, guitars you build, professional events like shows, training courses, festivals and competitions. Any member of the forum who wishes, may open a thread in this forum (but only one) using his/her name for the promotion of their efforts without limitation on the number of posts.
James Lister
Luthier

Re: James Lister - luthier

Post by James Lister » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:08 pm

I've just "published" my latest online Newsletter - click here to view it. There's some information and a few photos of my latest commission (the elevated fingerboard guitar on page 9 of this thread), and a bit about the Panormo I'm currently building.

If you would like to subscribe and receive the Newsletter by email, send me a PM and I'll add you to the mailing list. Of course, you can unsubscribe at any time.

I try to send out a Newsletter every other month, but it's usually a bit less frequent than this - the last one was in July last year!

James
James Lister, luthier, Sheffield UK

James Lister
Luthier

Post by James Lister » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:17 am

I have some new sound samples up on my website, played by my teacher Nick Fletcher's on his 2007 spruce/Indian rosewood Lister. The samples are taken from his new CD "A Moment of Stars", and feature the Sarabande and Double in B minor from solo violin partita (J.S.Bach), Prelude and Gigue from the D minor Lute suite (S.L.Weiss), and one of Nick's own compositions "The Last Goodbye".

Visit the "Samples" page on my website - there's also a link to where you can buy the CD.

James

James Lister
Luthier

Post by James Lister » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:22 pm

A few pics for you of my first Panormo "copy". It's based on the plans from St Cecilia's Hall Museum, Edinburgh. I kept most of the details the same, except the back is solid Indian rosewood (4-piece) rather than the original veneered, and I've used the asymmetric fan bracing pattern, as this guitar has a 2-piece top.
Front and back.jpg
Dsc_0818.jpg
Dsc_0840.jpg
Dsc_0831.jpg
Dsc_0848.jpg
Tuners shown are Gotoh - I'm planning to get some Baker style tuners made by Rubner.

James
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

simonm
Amateur luthier

Post by simonm » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:31 pm

Lovely looking. Congratulations. Commission or just for a change?

James Lister
Luthier

Post by James Lister » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:03 am

simonm wrote:Lovely looking. Congratulations. Commission or just for a change?
Sorry Simon, was away on holiday and missed your post.

Not a commission. I played an original Panormo last year, and really liked it, so set about finding some good plans (with some recommendations from here on the forum). It took about 6 months to build I think, fitting in the work between commission jobs. I'm hoping to try it out against a few original Panormos some time this year. I really like the sound (although I miss the big basses of my standard "modern" classicals), but it will be interesting to hear how it compares with the real thing.

Of course, I'm hoping to find a buyer for it, but I won't be too disappointed if I have to keep it for myself. :D

James

John Kemp

Post by John Kemp » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:29 am

Hi James, I've just joined Delcamp and was fascinated to see your write-up of your recent experimental work. This write-up obviously adds quite a lot to what you had put on your website about your experiments - just about the simplest imaginable solution to the torque problem, and simplest often works best. I hope you think it worthy of further work... though I know there's always the little matter of the mortgage and other bills to pay!

Have you found you need a protocol for stringing and de-stringing to keep the torque tension and the compensation roughly in balance at all times?

I will try and get to see you when I'm next in Sheffield - Best wishes, John

P.S. I'm having great difficulty in placing this present post of mine with the relevant post from you!

James Lister
Luthier

Post by James Lister » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:58 pm

Hi John,

Good to have you here on the forum.

At the moment I have too much building and repair work to put much time into the experimental guitar. The second version (as shown on this thread) has been sitting in its case for a while now. The first prototype is now in bits, and I made a start some months ago further reducing the thickness of the top, and cutting down the braces, and reducing further the mass of the bridge. The idea is to push it as far as it can go, and see what the result is, but it may be a while before I get it back together again.

Stringing isn't too much of a problem - the top can easily take the tension of the strings for a short time, but I do try to bring the strings up to tension fairly evenly.

Do let me know when you're in the Sheffield area - it would be good to meet up.

James
John Kemp wrote: P.S. I'm having great difficulty in placing this present post of mine with the relevant post from you!
If you use the "Quote" button on a post, it copies the whole of that post into your post, or you can edit it to just the bit you want, as I've done above.

James Lister
Luthier

Post by James Lister » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:06 am

Looks like it has been over a year since I posted in this thread! The 2015 exhibition season is now over for me, so my main exhibition guitar will shortly be available for sale. This was my 100th guitar, and it attracted quite a lot of interest at this years exhibitions in Cumbrae, Koblenz and West Dean.

There's quite a lot of photos and information about the build of this guitar in this thread in the luthiers section, as well as a short clip of the guitar being played by Marcin Dylla.

A brief summary and a few photos of the finished guitar, for those of you who don't want to plough through all 7 pages of the build thread!

In most ways this guitar follows my standard design, but I didn't want to use any tropical hardwoods, and to use FSC certified woods where possible. The top, back and sides, strutting and some of the decorative parts are FSC certified. The neck is walnut, and the fingerboard bog oak. Top is European spruce and the back and sides flamed maple (both FSC from Florinett).

The plantilla is my own design - but is fairly close to that used by Hermann Hauser 1. The strutting is a five fan design with two low transverse braces, which I've been using slight variations of for about 9 years now. The tuners are Rodgers with black horn buttons.

I also designed a new rosette for this guitar. It uses a traditional end grain central section, but using 0.33mm veneers, rather than the standard 0.6mm. This gives a "higher resolution" pattern, and as far as I know, no-one has made an end grain pattern this fine before. The completed rosette contains approximately 27,600 pieces!
Back.jpg
Bridge02.jpg
Front.jpg
Head.jpg
Rosette.jpg
James
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

riemsesy

Post by riemsesy » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:57 am

wow.. that rosette
Best regards,
Richard Frank

James Lister
Luthier

Post by James Lister » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:07 am

A new rosette design that I've used on 2 recent guitars. I've now settled (I think!) on 3 rosette designs. The new one will be my standard "traditional" rosette, then I have the rosette used on guitar #100 and also the guitar I'm building for Pat Dodson with the leaf motif. This one will only be used on guitar I make that use no tropical hardwoods. Finally there's what I call my "3-ring burr wood rosette".

The new rosette in construction:
Rosette01s.jpg
Rosette02s.jpg
...and completed, along with my other 2 rosettes:
Rosette03s.jpg
Rosette04s.jpg
Rosette05s.jpg
James

James Lister
Luthier

Post by James Lister » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:17 am

...and some more photos of my latest guitar, which I delivered to Miles Roberts at Kent Guitar Classics last weekend. Fairly standard construction, 650mm scale, Euro spruce top, Indian rosewood back and sides, V-joint and Alessi tuners.
Front01s.jpg
Dsc_0126s.jpg
Head02s.jpg
Bridge01s.jpg
V_joints.jpg
Head01s.jpg
James

smok53

Post by smok53 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:41 pm

Beautiful guitars, and I love the rosette with green leaves.

Best

Tomasz

thorbenlouw

Post by thorbenlouw » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:13 pm

Hi James. I enjoyed seeing posts of your guitars in this thread and also reading about your work in the latest classical guitar magazine. Congratulations on the article!

Are you likely to be selling any of your FSC guitars through Miles Roberts in Kent anytime? I find the idea of sustainable tonewoods very appealing but I've never heard a classical with maple sides in the flesh.

Also, will you be exhibiting at West Dean this year?

James Lister
Luthier

Post by James Lister » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:47 pm

Thanks Thorben,

Not sure if I'll be making a sustainable woods guitar for Miles - I may ask him what he thinks when the current guitar has sold. I will be at West Dean - and I will have a maple guitar with me, but it's a Torres model rather than one of my standard guitars.

James

thorbenlouw

Post by thorbenlouw » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:51 am

I may come and pester you to see this marvel at the West Dean open day then :D

Return to “Members' Announcements”